Third party booking - and I knew it.

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Third party booking - and I knew it.

hello

so, yes, I made a mistake: I accepted a third party booking with my knowledge. 

the lady seemed very nice, with good reviews, she booked the room for her two friends, which I stupidly accepted - yes, blame me. 

I communicated all house rules to the third party and to her guests. the guests did not follow house rules: shoes on the carpet, not locking the flat door, and other small things. my check out time is very early 8am, i informed them a day before check-out. then around midnight, while I was sleeping they asked me if i can extend it which I saw only next morning. I texted them back that usually it is not an issue but I already scheduled my cleaner. my cleaner came over and waited for 30 mins, knocking on the guest room door then she had to leave as there was no response. I got upset and I texted the guests and the third party informing them that they broke the house rules at many level and there will be a cost at least for the cleaner. 

The guests got a bit rude, the third party was normal, apologetic and said that she will have a chat with her friends. 

Then third party texted me saying that she will pay for the cleaning fee and apologized again. I told her that it was not her fault and I also said that I am not going to leave a review as it would be unfair rating her while her friends stayed here. 

she then left me a review.

I still do not feel leaving one but i am just a bot scared that it will be a negative one. 

what would you do? 

PS: never again third party bookings, i learnt my lesson. 

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dora31  I'd write a review, since she did. Just say that the guest booked for her friends and didn't stay herself and the friends weren't good guests, but that the booker apologized for their behavior and was forthcoming with paying for the cleaners time, who was made to stand around waiting for half an hour because the guests didn't check out on time, even when reminded of check-out time the previous night. I doubt she'll be using her account to book for her lame friends again.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Lack of direct communication is just one reason not to accept 3rd party bookings.

Could also be a legal loophole. Who do you sue if they damage the place?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Dora31 dis she pay the fee? If she did, I would either not leave one or do a version of @Sarah977 review. If she has not paid, you should request the funds and see how that plays out. If she refuses to pay, that should all be in the review 

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

she paid. and very cooperative and apologetic. 

I am just a bit "scared" that the review will impact my superhost status as she will rate me low

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Dora31  her review will be posted regardless of you leaving one or not, but I find it a bit bizarre that she left a review for a place where she did not stay.  

I agree - but that is my fault that I let her friends stay. 

Since I had a few arguments with her guests probably it is not a good review. 

I thought that i will not leave one - but can she leave one if she did not stay? 

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

Don't write a review.  If she has left a review, just wait until it is published then respond underneath if it is negative.  

@Dora31  yes, the one who did the booking is the official guest and can leave a review.  Your third party guests cannot leave a review on her behalf unless they have access to her account.  They can of course dictate her what to write.  Hopefully she has learnt her lesson,  as the one who books would also be the responsible for any damages.  It would be her card attached to the account, although I suppose there are ways around that issue by adding a friends card.