Third party reservation nightmare

Third party reservation nightmare

I recently accepted a booking for guest and his partner for their anniversary weekend- 2 people. Alex did not have any reviews but his request email was articulate and he had 4 verifications from Airbnb including  drivers licence, phone number etc........the nightmare began on arrival of "guests" . Key was collected but apparently Alex had made booking on behalf of friends...........I live in the adjoining apartment and was horrified by the number of people coming and going - at one point the door was left wide open - I called out and rang doorbell - looked in and the place was trashed - cigarettes and ash

everywhere (my rules are no smoking).........eventually someone turned up - I asked if he was Alex.......no - noone seemed to know who Akex was!!!........long story short - never had a conversation with Alex - and key not returned when "guests" (must have been 6 people staying) left. I repeatedly tried to call and message Alex regarding return of keys. The place was disgusting and took hours to clean- cigarette smell lingered for days - burns in sheets, cigarette butts in potplants, strange liquid spilt in freezer which has  eaten through the casing. Had to call a locksmith to have locks changed.......and have been in a long drawn out battle to have this payment reimbursed - not easy having the security deposit released! My question is - what are my rights in evicting third party "guests"..........my contract was with Airbnb and their approved client "Alex".........can I terminate a booking without any consequences? If not it would seem the verification process is not worth anything?.......I have hosted may guests and until now never had a problem........they have all been great and I have reached super host status.  I have accepted other bookings without reviews - everyone has to start somewhere - I have hosted may guests but never used Airbnb myself - so when I make my first booking I will not have a review.............in future I would not even accept myself!!!!.......any comments regarding the legality of third party bookings?

Thanks

Gina

23 Replies 23
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Gina9 This is a host's worst nightmare and unfortunately yours came true.  I would get on the horn right away to report Alex to Airbnb and have him removed.  Except for business travelers, Airbnb does not condone 3rd party bookings.  See this link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Obviously this person booked your place under false pretenses and is not trustworthy.  I state in my House Rules that only registered guests will be allowed on the property and if the person making the reservation isn't present, everyone has to go! I even make guests read and accept my house rules before I will accept a reservation so there are no excuses or misunderstandings. 

The next thing I would do is file a claim on your security deposit which Alex accepted and agreed to when making the reservation request.  This is to cover the smoke smell and any other damage these people caused.  You could also claim an extra person fee (if you have one) for the additional 4 people who stayed. This can be done through the Resolution Center. When you contact Airbnb to report Alex, mention this. They might expedite the process given the grievous nature of Alex's actions. 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

I've accepted many reservations from new guests who don't yet have reviews.  You were conned this time, but the vast majority of new users are great people and are really eager to leave a good impression so that they too can get good reviews. 

I didn't notice whether you have Instant Book, but if you do, turn it off until you feel more comfortable.  I don't like it since I like to vet guests before I accept reservations. 

The fastest way to contact Airbnb is through twitter @Airbnbhelp.  My experience is that they respond within a few minutes.  There are other options as you can see in this link: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...

I'm so very sorry for your experience and I trust Airbnb will do right by you.  Please give me an update on the outcome!  If you have more questions, please feel free to reply in this thread. 

Clare

Gina,

The good news is, even though you may not have travelled via Airbnb, you're a Superhost and can point to your hosting reviews.  We love Superhosts as guests.  They get it!

From your post and its response I've updated our house rules about only allowing registered guests.

Cheers and don't loose faith in Human Kind!

Andrew

Marsha17
Level 10
KCMO, MO

I almost had this happen to me yesterday. I had a guest who is verified Airbnb member book for her and a "work colleague". She wanted the "Whole House" so they could have their privacy.  I was still there cleaning the refrigerator/freezer when her "fiancee" shows up to get key, saying she's at work.  I discuss the booking with him for awhile, and tell him that I have no way to know whether he is the "fiancee" or not, as she never replied to my questions about her fiancee or work colleague.  He then takes key, which I had left under the mat, to get groceries for them.

An alarm bell goes off in my head that she said booking was for "her and her work colleague.  My fiancee might come stay one weekend during the month", and yet, Fiancee shows up, and says, "It's mostly for my 35 year old nephew, her "work colleague" and I'll be here sometimes, but I doubt she will be here at all."  

I called Airbnb, and got it cancelled after 2 phone calls, 2 emails, and many texts from Nancy, the booker, through Airbnb.  She tried to lie her way through it, but why weren't both her "work colleague" and her "fiancee" members of Airbnb, and why hadn't she verified who was staying at my condo?  And, why didn't her story jive with his?  

I finally got the key back several hours later.  Had a car full of cold food I had to move to my fiancee's house, so I worried all night that her "fiancee" might have made a copy of the key while he had it in his possession for 2 hours.  Yikes!  I've removed Instant Book from my listing.  

Jennifer620
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Your stories all sound AWFUL. My story is not as bad as yours but it did keep me up all night. I called Airbnb, and they were LESS than helpful! 

This happened less than a year ago...

The guest booked as a single guest the evening before. His instant booking response was "Hi am C j". None of his messages during our interactions were ever written in complete sentences. He got lost while finding my place and was very angry over the phone because it took him 'hours' to find it...he was definitely overexaggerating things. I live in a cul-de-sac with a very distinctive name for a street. It should take no more the 1 minute to find even if you do not have the house address. You cannot get lost with Google maps. It didn't feel right and so I recommended that he talk to Airbnb to cancel the reservation (I did not want to be penalized for cancelling the reservation at the time). He said it would be fine and so I gave directions over the phone. I was very confused about his problem because my listing provides detailed directions and the exact address. He later realized that he didn't click the right spot on the email where the house number would show up. He never said 'sorry'. 

Later that evening, he kept walking in and out of the house every other hour. I saw women's shoes at the door after a taxi cab had pulled up at my door. No introductions. It was dark out. I was watching tv at the time and didn't see her face. She had quietly went into the bedroom. I called Airbnb because things didn't feel right. The female Airbnb representative was helpful and did keep me calm. She said that if anything happened, to call Airbnb again. Then they proceeded to have LOUD sex in the middle of the night. I freaked out! I knocked on the door and told him that I was going to call the cops. They were quiet after that.

Yea..I called Airbnb again. This time, a male Airbnb representative picked up. He found my story funny. He laughed and snickered the entire time I was on the phone. He said the guest was not harming anyone in the house and stayed in the room as rented on Airbnb. I told him that the guest did not respect the space by letting a stranger in and that it affected the safety and privacy of other people in the house. He said that it could wait until the morning, as he needs to discuss matters with the guest since he was accusing me of invading his privacy. "just from knocking on his door and warning him"...He was so dishonest and disrespectful. 

I did not even feel safe in my own house! The representative had the audacity to warn me that I would be penalized if I cancelled the 2 night reservation (and lose my superhost status) and that I would be losing money from the reservation. I was ready to pay someone to get him out of my house, quit Airbnb, and call the cops!

It was so NOT funny for me and the other people at my place that night.

A few hours after the ordeal (which was the next morning), he came downstairs and acted like nothing happened. I politely asked him to leave, and he was shocked. He said, 'ok' and went back upstairs. It took him about half an hour to leave, but it felt like a lifetime! Then he tried to come back in again, luckily I had a smartlock and had just changed the code so he was locked out. He had all his belongings though...He messaged me later and asked for his money back for the second night and I gave it to him. He did not apologize.

This was a guest with 'positive' reviews and a photo ID. He had a couple of positive reviews from new Airbnb hosts who had very simple accomodations with not so great listing photos and limited profile descriptions. He had poor communication skills and definitely could not take the time to write complete sentences when he instantly booked my place. 

The reason I got a smartlock was for that very reason! When you change the door code, they cannot come back in! I was very happy that I had that. 

What I learnt from this experience:

1) You cannot vet for the people who have weird ID photos (i.e. pictures of animals, cartoon characters, weird faces, weird poses). Seriously, their photos says a lot. Their eyes says a lot.

2) They need to elaborate on their intentions for staying.

3) They need to be cordial and be respectful in their inquiries and actually write words like "Please" and "Thank-you".

4) They also need a substantial number of 'positive' reviews that are from experienced hosts with listings that are similar to your listings.

5) I had too many good experiences with Airbnb guests that I did not want this one to prevent me from potentially meeting some great people. This is the only reason why I did not quit Airbnb.

Some reliable guests had mentioned that they typically look for listings without the 'instant' booking option since it required proper interactions with the host. They too wanted to find the right fit before booking. I turned off "Instant" booking after that ordeal. My long-term guests and my boyfriend were relieved.

It's been less than a year and now that Airbnb has updated their policy for hosts that the 'cancellation is penalty-free', I decided to give instant booking another try again, but now...on my terms.

I have added a few additional rules for Airbnb guests. The rules require that they give me substantial information to vet for them or I will outright cancel their reservation.

In addition to my other house rules; I have added the following:

1) They must identify who they are, purpose for their visit, and names of the guests staying.

2) Airbnb guests that are inquiring must have ID photos of themselves and a complete profile description.

3) Additional guests that have been identified are only allowed to stay.

4) Government ID and positive reviews from other hosts are required.***

***'Reviews from other hosts' is a tricky one. I don't know how to clearly write out my criteria just yet. I just know that they should have more than 3 elaborate reviews from hosts with listings that are similar (or better than mine). A superhost review should be a requirement too.***

I hope my new instant booking boundaries help.

Hello Jennifer,

When did host cancellation become penalty free?  I am still under the impression that they charge hosts money and it shows up on hosts profile?  Thanks

@Nicole221

this option is for instant book hosts only. They can cancel unlimited number of guests if they feel uncomfortable with a guest or they break or intend to break their house rules. But , they still can not cancel by themselves but contact Airbnb to cancel for them

@Nicole221. Actually IB hosts can cancel themselves (within the guidelines) up to 3 times within a 12 month period.  After the 3rd cancellation, the host will need to contact Airbnb.  I'm sure this is in place to prevent abuse of the IB cancellation policy.  🙂

@Clare0, have you done this yourself? Cancelled without getting Airbnb to do it on your behalf? And all was well? 

I recently recieved an email update from Airbnb. 

This was one of the links provided.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reserv...

Francesca62
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Gina, I am horrified to hear of your experience, and hope you have had better experiences since then. As others pointed out, third party bookings are against Airbnb policy. And as others described, although time consuming, vetting guests can minimize those risks - but it still can happen, and just happened to me. Scenario: Guest with postive reviews makes polite and reasonable request. However, upon key transfer and orientation, guest confesses he made the booking for another person. It's an entire home, not my residence, but I live in the complex. Super awkward, but I insisted that the guest must be registered and added to the reservation. Airbnb support helped me through it, but it took a long time - 3 different case workers - one who encouraged me to give him a "second chance" a second who really downplayed it, and the third agreed with me, but said it was up to me what to do.  Now the trust has been broken, guest has a chip on his shoulder, and the warm and fuzzies are gone. Like another airbnb host said, despite having written policy, it's still possible to get conned. Anyone else have idea on how not to get conned? Thank you, 

@Francesca62 Yep, this just happened to me.  Guest booked saying that the reservation was for him and 3 employees.  I gave a walk through and explained house rules to the reserving guest.  When check out came, he said he had to leave early because of family issues.  Several house rules were not heeded.  I really don't think the reserving guest actually stayed.  At check out, none of the employees who stayed were available. Instead, yet another employee, who did not stay, was there to admit the keys were lost. (Resolution Center claim was made and guest ultimately paid after getting Airbnb involved.) 

Needless to say, I will give a review that states the above and will give a "Thumbs Down" for the sake of my fellow IB hosts.  Also, I will let Airbnb know about my misgivings of this guest in the private section reserved for Airbnb only just in case another issue comes up with this guest who I feel manipulated me in several ways. 

Hi Clare, thanks for the solidarity and my sympathies to you. Thinking about this some more, I realized that many of the hosts who gave positive reviews might not have been aware that this happened - or as long as the place was relatively clean and no damage, they left a positive review. I am also now thinking about installing an Arlo camera (from Costco) at the front door and putting "public space surveillance" on my listing as well as mentioning it during the vetting process and again during the orientation. I could say something like, "in the past, I've had some issues with guests giving out keys and that is obviously a problem so I've installed cameras for everyone's safety, so please don't give out the key and incur an cancellation and lockout" And I guess if they say, "well actually..." I will have to have the guts to say, "I'm sorry but this isn't going to work for me, as that is against my posted rules."  

What do you think? Are lockouts legal? 

@Francesca62. I would recommend that you state in your listing House Rules that the keys will only be given to the reserving guest.  This won't work, however, if you have self check in.  Also, I would state that that the reserving guest must also be a guest as you do not accept third party bookings.  

There is no fool proof way of preventing these, as in my case.  I didn't realize or suspect that my guest booked on behalf of his employees until check out day.  When it happens, just be sure that you leave an honest and objective review to warn other hosts. In my case, I plan on stating the "it is not clear whether John stayed some or any of the nights as the house rules which were explained to John were not followed".  Most hosts would get my drift.  

Regarding locking a guest out of the space, I would be very careful.  Best to contact Airbnb beforehand and get advice on your situation before starting a confrontation with the guest, especially if you are not 100% sure what is going on and the situation turns into your word against theirs.  

With the camera, I would state simply that you have an exterior camera for security purposes and leave it at that.  Be very careful not to let the guests believe there are any interior cameras since this could create big problems with Airbnb. 

Be sure to communicate with the reserving guest any concerns you have and get them to respond in writing whether they booked on behalf of someone else.  This way Airbnb has a record of the conversation in the event a dispute arises down the road.  

It's a crazy business!

@Francesca62. Just came across this Airbnb support article about surveillance devices.  It might be helpful to you and other hosts: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-device...