This is as nice as i could word it - perhaps objective folks can help.

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

This is as nice as i could word it - perhaps objective folks can help.

Back story guest was to checkout at 12:00, guest without asking checked out at 2:20, and new guest arrived with kids exactly at check-in time 3:00. I didnt demand the current guest leave when I went down at 12:30 to clean because they had a baby. They informed me their ride was coming at 2:00pm. Needless to say the accomodations were not ready so I payed for the arriving guest to have brunch with her kids ($80) until everything was clean at 4:00, since they just arrived after an international flight. 

Here's the private feedback I'm leaving with a thumbs down. any more gracious wording advice if you think it neccessary would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being my guests you have a wonderful family.
It is important however to remember that Airbnb hosts are not hotel owners with large staffs. Therefor being aware of checkout and check-in times is extremely important.

After you checked out at 2:20 (checkout is 12:00) my next guest arrived at 3:00 with her two children and because I only had 30 minutes the suite was not yet clean. As a result I had to apologize and pay for her and her children to have brunch while I cleaned the Suite to my standards.

I'm sure you can understand how other guests with kids are less than happy if the accommodations they paid for are not ready at check-in time, after a long international flight. Please in the future if you need a late checkout I recommend you ask a host and see if it’s possible, because last minute changes effect hosts and their arriving guests negatively.

0 Responses

Join the conversation

26 Replies 26

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Thank you but I respectfully disagree. Notifying me of their plan to leave at 2:00 pm when I arrived at 12:30 to clean left me little room to negotiate. They knew the check-in and check-out time as i mentioned earlier so communication ws not the issue.

As I said they were clearly not packed to go, and they had a baby with them. I find a massive part of being a super host is flexiblilty and sensitivity to guests. On occasion despite how upset I am with a guests actions, I force myself to consider all options- and at that moment for me to demand or insist that they hurriedly pack up and get out to save myself an hour at best was not an option to my mind or sensibilities. I would have felt tremendous guilt and regret.

Now I’m not saying what they did was ok, clearly I’m upset by it- however any demanding action forcing them out the door would not have been something I’d be ok with or slept well with even though I’d be in the right. The way I see it, and you’re free to disagree, they put me in a very bad position, so I reacted the best way I knew how, inorder to feel good about myself as a person - which is far more important to me than $80 - although $80 wouldve bought me a very nice dinner or a movie date so it does sting.

I’m not saying I’d let anyone get away with anything but I do use my judgement to figure out what the best course of action is for me as a person first and as a host second- in this instance they were both the same choice - let them wait for their airport transportation. Every super host without a doubt will agree we make sacrifices, that’s just the way it is I think and that's the diffrence beteen a 4.8 and 5.0 or 4.9 its not the result of trying its the result of caring. And I sleep better for it no matter how angered my thoughts, because I believe people are judged by their actions not their thoughts.

@Ephraim0

I agree that what those guests did was wrong and inconsiderate. Also I understand to some point that you couldn't just kick them out,  and you had to make the best of a bad situation. But the thing is......in order to accomodate the rude guests your next guests were inconvenienced.  🙂 Next time you have same day check outs/check ins, it might be worth sending an extra message/reminder about check out times to make sure guests 'get' that a late check out will NOT be possible.

I hope instead of a private feedback you leave an honest public feedback - "Guests were nice (and tidy) but they informed me at check out time of their expectations for a late check out which I had little choice but to accomodate. This made it difficult for me to get the room ready on time for the next guests." For a private feedback, I think it's okay to be a bit more blunt because a lot of selfish, self-absorbed people don't 'get it' when people are nice & polite.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ephraim0  I might ask guests who had done this, in private feedback, to consider how they would have liked it if when they had arrived for their check-in with baby in tow, you had informed them that they couldn't check in for another hour because the previous guests had decided arbitrarily to overstay check-out time by 2 hours.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ephraim0 I do understand your dilemma but it seems that you have shot yourself in the foot a bit by being too kind hearted.  We all know what guests are like, they only read what they want to read and then interpret the rules to suit themselves.   But you decided on your check in and  check out times for a reason, that reason being that it gave you sufficient time to clean - and I notice from a couple of your recent reviews that guests have mentioned that your place is very clean and cosy.  So, in order to maintain your high standards you have just got to crack down on guests who decide that your departure time does not suit them.  I would make very sure that the late guests know that their selfish behaviour spoiled the arrival for the next guests and I would mention in my public review that they had little regard for your check out and check in times.  We don't want them doing the same thing somewhere else. 

Abi33
Level 2
Australia

I send my guests a message the day before checkout reminding them what they need to do to check out. 

It includes advice to “leave the keys on the dining as our cleaners come in after checkout (which is at 10am) but have their own access keys”.

I’ve had one group still in there when the cleaner arrived, but they exited very quickly when they realised she was going to start cleaning anyway 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Ephraim I

The problem here is your processes for check out.

When guests check in I talk to them about their check out plans and remind them of my check out time, the fact I need to hold to this to allow time for the place to be prepared for the next guest.

The day before therir check out time I contact them again and remind them of left luggage facilities if they need to store luggage post check out.

On the morning of their departure I send them a thank you for staying and a reminder that i or my cleaner will be in at 11.10 to start preparing the accommodation for the next guest.

This means they have no excuse for a late check out.

I would change your check out to 11 a.m. and confirm with your guests they have understood the check out time.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ephraim0

you were too nice ... and by beeing too nice to the guest who broke your house rules you caused the trouble for your next , good guests.

Why they needed  hours to pack their things? They could probably do it in 10 minutes if you told them so . I would. And I would wait there until they are packing. No way I would let them cause inconvenience to my next guests.

I wouldn't be surprised if both of your guests (previous and next) leave you less then 5* . First group doesn't seem to be appreciative people at all and the next guests had to wait for check in.

I am a landloard, building manager and a host and I have to be nice but very firm othervise people will use me as a doormat. Not just guests, but tenants, neighbours and contractors as well. Sometimes I feel like a doberman 🙂 I don't like it but I just have to.

... and yes, guests will often push your boundaries. So if you need them out by 12:00 then put 11:00 as your check out time.

If you don't want them check in after 21:00 then put 19:00 as your latest check in time.

Then you can negotiate about it and be gracious host 🙂

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ephraim0  and Robin (it didn't let me @ you Robin)   Robin, exactly what I am thinking to write. Ephraim you allowed all this to occur. Sorry, you were so kind to allow early check in - that's the first step to tell the guests -------cool, everything doesn't go by the rules around here!!! then you came to them at 12:30, 30 mins after check out time and didn't help pack them up. Sorry, but, I would have helped them so they understand that this house rule is important. It is correct, these folks have their kids, their agenda and their lives and they Do NOT know your's.............so I think you need to relax on them and be really clear in the future with what you mean, what you say and what your house rules are. So often on here we read when negative stuff happens it is almost always at the same time that the Host has relaxed, bent their own house rules and made exceptions for their guests (I know, to be nice) . Too bad it is like that with people. But some will get an inch and take that mile indeed.  You were so very generous with your brunch offer --- wow! I wanna join in on that one! happy hosting

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Ephraim0Well, God bless you for being so kind and accomodating. Unfortunately, check-out time is  sacrosant, it should never be left up to chance, meaning up to the guest to 'get it', nor interpret it or ignore it, otherwise you now see what could (and did) happen.

If it was me, I would make it 11am btw, which is a somewhat standard time for check outs. And at exactly 11am, the 'cleaning crew' shows up and starts making its presence. :). 

As to the private feedback, it is cool to educate the guest, helps everyone in the long run, though I would make it more informal: 'Thanks for staying with us, but please remember check-out times are important for hosting places, very important. Wish you pleasant journeys and till next time...".

In other words, *I* would take responsibility for the whole fiasco.

@Fred13 Thank you, I have changed my check-in time as recommended by you and others. Further I used your wording in my private feedback.  Youre a tribute to these boards, your advice is always very polished and wise.

Thanks for the kind words E. As long as we learn something, easy to forget about the small 'bumps'' along the way. 🙂