This is how I have Wifi set up for guests

Answered!
Rp1
Level 7
Winnipeg, Canada

This is how I have Wifi set up for guests

Before posting this, I did a quick search on "Wifi" and though I found several of the resulting discussions insightful, I didn't necessarily see anything that would overlap very much with this, so here goes.

This is the story of the evolution of how I offer wifi to guests, shared with the AirBnB host community in case othes have had to overcome challenges similar to mine.

IN THE BEGINNING, I had 1 router and it broadcast 2 wifi networks, 1 for guests, and 1 for me.  The guest network was set up to prevent connected devices from seeing each other, as well as from accessing the router's administative interface. The other network (mine) was unrestricted.  "In the beginning", I figured that was enough.  The unrestricted network was intended to be used by the PS3 I had set up for guests (to use streaming services and the like), but my co-host at the time was uncomfortable with showing guests how to use the PS3, so it was temporarily retired.

A few months into hosting, I get a notice from my internet service provider (ISP) that they are required by law to forward me an email they received from the law firm representing the interests of a content owner whose intellectual property was observed to be downloaded unlawfully from an IP address that had been assigned to my internet account at the time of the download.

I was a bit taken aback, but when I dug into it, I noticed the time and date provided for the alleged violation were while I had a guest at the house (and only the guest was occuping the house at the time).

I considered what my options were in terms of how to prevent this from happening again.  My first thought was "Can I set something up that prevents so-called illegal downloading?" Five minutes of research on the matter led me to the conclusion that someone who wants to download, legally or otherwise, will find a way no matter what - the tech and techniques are designed for that.  I then considered putting a splash screen up for guests connecting to wifi with some sort of disclaimer for them to agree to, but that screamed to me of guest-unfriendliness.  So my next question was "Well, allright, then is there a way I can avoid being targetted by these ISP notices if a guest should do something like this again?" and the answer (after another 5 minutes of research) was VPN.

So I signed up for a VPN service, and then set up my router to stay connected to the VPN.  Problem solved, right? Not exactly.  In terms of preventing notices from ISPs, I haven't gotten a single one since.  Yay! But.

But.

Eventually, I was able to replace some things in the house (including my PS3-unfriendly co-host) and set things up to include a large flatscreen SmartTV, and the PS3 on another (not-smart) TV.  But with the VPN in place, some of the more well known streaming services ceased to work (from either the SmartTV or the PS3).  Ugh.  5 more minutes or researched revealed that these services actually hate VPNs and make a point of being incompatible with VPNs.

Based on that, one thought I had was to make the VPN apply only to the guest Wifi, and then connect the PS3 and the SmartTV to the unrestricted Wifi, but I could not find a way to make the router put VPN on only one of the wifi networks - it was all or nothing.

So, enter... a new, second router (with no VPN).  I connected this new, second router directly to the ISP modem, and then connected my original router (the one with the VPN and the guest wifi) into the new, second router.  On the new, second router I set up an exclusive wifi for just the PS3 and the SmartTV.  So now they could stream happily with no restrictions.  Guests would still connnect their own devices to the guest wifi (with the VPN), so whatever their activities were, it wouldn't result in warnings to me.

Not sure if any other hosts are faced with any of those considerations, but if so, hopefully my efforts will help you, OR, maybe you have a solution already that I could learn and benefit from!

All questions or comments are welcome.

1 Best Answer
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Rp1,

Very good post!

I’ve been thinking about such issues too.

Fortunately we never had any such problems yet (which does not mean, there will never be any). And it is also part of our house-rules: “Downloading illegal or copyrighted content is forbidden. Watching any non-blocked paid video-channels is forbidden too. Furthermore, making any configuration-, hard- or software changes to our internet infrastructure is also forbidden”.

The problem: Whatever I do, I cannot replace the lousy ISP modem in the middle (But I will investigate whether a VPN service will solve potential issues like these).

Since I cannot really relocate my ISP router either. Guests will therefore always have the possibility to reset the router (the original network-id and associated password is in hard-print on the back of the router. And I have no intention to start scratching these off or something).

I was fortunately able to block “Pay-per-View” or “Video-on-Demand” channels (as far as I know, I blocked all of them. But what, when our ISP simply adds just more of those?)

Conclusion: Whatever you do, some people will always find their way.

And yes, a lot can be done to avoid situations like these, by adding additional equipment, configuration or services. But it doesn’t make things easier and could cause other problems (adding complexity will undoubtedly increase the chance to some problem of any kind).

Please bear in mind, 99 out of a 100 guests, just want to simply sign up to a Wi-Fi network. And use their mobile devices for common activities, which require internet-access.

And not having to jump through a load of hoops, just to sign up to the Wi-Fi.

Since I’m nowhere near our property, I cannot solve the more complex problems myself, by physically going there (as someone could simply/accidentally have unplugged a cable or something).

So all-in-all it is a bit of a trade-off: The chance of such an issue to happen versus the potential associated costs.

As we didn’t had a proper Wi-Fi signal in the bedrooms. We’ve also added a wireless range-extender with a different network name (again: Not an ideal solution. But for now it serves those guests, whom appreciate it).

Using a different network name (and password) also avoids kids to remain on their mobile devices, while they should be asleep. Which is highly appreciated by most parents.

Even in our pretty straight-forward setup. We sometimes encounter problems (we do not control, what wireless devices guest may bring with them).

Most of these problems can still simply be resolved however, by just recycling the power to our internet infrastructure.

The rule is pretty simple: When guests had problems connecting to the internet. You are most likely in for a bad review. Or at least mentioning the problematic Wi-Fi.

Ps.

Originally, I installed a high-end wireless range-extender. But it caused too much stress on the simple ISP router. Causing the ISP router to stall frequently (Like: Daily).

Once I replaced my high-end wireless range-extender, by a very simple version. All these problems vanished instantaneously.

Again another usual example of consequences by adding complexity.

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Rp1
Level 7
Winnipeg, Canada

Excellent points, Cor, thank you!

Something I could have also mentioned is that my ISP modem and both routers are in a locked room to which only my co-host and I have access, and I have my guest router (the one with the VPN on it) set to reboot daily between 4 am and 5 am.  That helps with reducing the frequency with which a hard reset is required.

п

I’m not very good at networking, but once for some unknown reason I was blocked on my favorite news site. My friend advised me to change the IP address so as not to use the VPN service, but I did not know how to do it. He said that it is best to change the ip on the official site of the router, and send me this site https://www.router-reset.com/default-ip-address-list/Xfinity. There is a complete instruction for each type of router how to change IP address. I tried and after a few hours everything worked out.So good luck to you!

Leo192
Level 8
Spartanburg, SC

Hey @Rp1, Thanks for your post. 

Even though it's a bit too technical for me.  It did make me think about "another item (illegal downloading)" to put on my House Rules and possibly get another router dedicated for the guests.

@Rp1:

I really appreciate your post. We are on the verge of permanently losing our internet due to illegal downloads. I would like a little more detail so will message you.

Thanks!!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I just reviewed my past years of illegal downloading history.

I have received no illegal downloading warnings this year.

This is the first year i have used Airbnb exclusively.

Previously, I had 3 roommates who swore they NEVER downloaded or pirated illegal sites....

Go figure

Rosemaree1
Level 2
Perth, Australia

I'm new to hosting, and came across this conversation while searching for answers about WIFI - what should a host provide and how best to set it up ...?

Is it actually expected that a host will provide unlimited data for guest use?

In the end, I purhased a WIFI device for use by guests, and pre-paid for 12GB data for a 2 week booking. 

Much to my surprise that went in 2 nights. 

After thinking about it, I discussed it with my guests and apologised if they had the impression that free WIFI means "free unlimited wifi" ... in the end, they were totally happy to just borrow the WIFI device, and pay for their own data top ups, as needed.  Perhaps this solution may work for others in similar circumstances. 

Robert1490
Level 2
Burlington, NJ

Rp, great post!  Would you mind sharing what type of equipment you are using?  I think I want to do pretty much the same setup that you have but I'm lost when it comes to choosing between google, eero, ubiquiti, TP link!  

And is the key to just buy a router that is VPN capable and then you choose what VPN you want to put on it?  

Also, I am going to figure out a way to put it all behind a locked closet...do you have equipment with the ability to monitor, troubleshoot and reset from your phone?  

From the ISP modem (set to bridge mode, since it's a combo modem / router), I connect ethernet into a generic brand wifi router.  The wifi is enabled, but only specific devices can connect, such as the smart TV and the PS3.  This wifi network is not for guests.

Second router runs an open source firmware such as Tomato / DD-WRT / MicroTik / OpenWRT, and has the VPN set up on it.  It also broadcasts a wifi network specifically for guests, with access point isolation enabled to prevent various guest devices from being able to see or interact with each other on the network (particularly useful if the guest wifi serves guests for more than one listing).  It also broadcasts an additional wifi network for me with no restrictions.  Both my and the guests' wifi networks pass all traffic in and out across the VPN.

I'd be happy to give you more specifics, but not in a public post just 'cause that flys in the face of IT security. 🙂 Private message me and I can spill some more, especially how I have remote access configured.  My final fallback for remote access is my cohost has keys to the equipment room and can power cycle if needed.

Zamonii0
Level 2
Columbus, OH

This actually happened to me. During a guest stay, he was using illegal movies etc and then sharing that content or other content no too sure. I received the email from my service provider. I called them immediately letting them know it was a guest etc. they warned if it continued they’d block internet use in my home. They said I should add a waiver etc explaining this is what I have to abide by so you do too if you agree to book here . 

Rebecca870
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

@Rp1, thanks for the details! Just to clarify... (assuming compatibility) I can go buy a 2nd router and hook it into my 1st? Then, I just give one of the routers pw info to my guests? This shows a trail of which router/ip address accessed the illegal content? So are you saying there's a way to do all. of this under 1 account and with one internet line coming into the house? 

Thanks in advance. I have been searching for a solution to this for a while...

Martin1066
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Thanks for your valuable post.  I got my nasty-gram from the ISP and just cut off the WiFi which obviously was a financial hit for me.  Setting up a VPN as you described is an easy way to encapsulate the activity of the guests and their behavior online.  I'm not sure I would like to go through the drama of guiding guests through piloting a complex Smart TV.  I suspect I'll just put an HD antenna on the TV and let them stream on their own devices with the option of using the TV as a second display via HDMI.

Julie659
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

Thanks for all the info!

My current solution is to not provide WiFi to my guests. Because they are illegally downloading and/or sharing copyrighted material regularly.

I’m super bummed but any router is going to be connected to my acccount therefore I’m responsible. AT&T says I may be in danger of them cancelling my account. Would a VPN

service change that fact?

thanks!

Julie

Oscar488
Level 1
Columbia, SC

What protocol do you use for VPN? The quicker, the less secure. For what I understand, you care to protect your real IP from being traced down if a guest uses your network for illegal dowloads/uploads. I would assume P2P would be enough for you, no?

Zack84
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

yo @Rp1 , GREAT POST. I'm coming in with 2 routers but have a questions about security. Keep in mind that I live in the house where the Airbnb is, located but it's separated.

I'm going to hardwire the Airbnb router to my current modem. But my modem is one of those AT&T Fiber 2-in-1 router+modem. My main concern is the guest being savvy enough to access our computers even though we're connected to our separate, personal router. You feel me?

edit: spelling.