This is how I have Wifi set up for guests

Answered!
Rp1
Level 7
Winnipeg, Canada

This is how I have Wifi set up for guests

Before posting this, I did a quick search on "Wifi" and though I found several of the resulting discussions insightful, I didn't necessarily see anything that would overlap very much with this, so here goes.

This is the story of the evolution of how I offer wifi to guests, shared with the AirBnB host community in case othes have had to overcome challenges similar to mine.

IN THE BEGINNING, I had 1 router and it broadcast 2 wifi networks, 1 for guests, and 1 for me.  The guest network was set up to prevent connected devices from seeing each other, as well as from accessing the router's administative interface. The other network (mine) was unrestricted.  "In the beginning", I figured that was enough.  The unrestricted network was intended to be used by the PS3 I had set up for guests (to use streaming services and the like), but my co-host at the time was uncomfortable with showing guests how to use the PS3, so it was temporarily retired.

A few months into hosting, I get a notice from my internet service provider (ISP) that they are required by law to forward me an email they received from the law firm representing the interests of a content owner whose intellectual property was observed to be downloaded unlawfully from an IP address that had been assigned to my internet account at the time of the download.

I was a bit taken aback, but when I dug into it, I noticed the time and date provided for the alleged violation were while I had a guest at the house (and only the guest was occuping the house at the time).

I considered what my options were in terms of how to prevent this from happening again.  My first thought was "Can I set something up that prevents so-called illegal downloading?" Five minutes of research on the matter led me to the conclusion that someone who wants to download, legally or otherwise, will find a way no matter what - the tech and techniques are designed for that.  I then considered putting a splash screen up for guests connecting to wifi with some sort of disclaimer for them to agree to, but that screamed to me of guest-unfriendliness.  So my next question was "Well, allright, then is there a way I can avoid being targetted by these ISP notices if a guest should do something like this again?" and the answer (after another 5 minutes of research) was VPN.

So I signed up for a VPN service, and then set up my router to stay connected to the VPN.  Problem solved, right? Not exactly.  In terms of preventing notices from ISPs, I haven't gotten a single one since.  Yay! But.

But.

Eventually, I was able to replace some things in the house (including my PS3-unfriendly co-host) and set things up to include a large flatscreen SmartTV, and the PS3 on another (not-smart) TV.  But with the VPN in place, some of the more well known streaming services ceased to work (from either the SmartTV or the PS3).  Ugh.  5 more minutes or researched revealed that these services actually hate VPNs and make a point of being incompatible with VPNs.

Based on that, one thought I had was to make the VPN apply only to the guest Wifi, and then connect the PS3 and the SmartTV to the unrestricted Wifi, but I could not find a way to make the router put VPN on only one of the wifi networks - it was all or nothing.

So, enter... a new, second router (with no VPN).  I connected this new, second router directly to the ISP modem, and then connected my original router (the one with the VPN and the guest wifi) into the new, second router.  On the new, second router I set up an exclusive wifi for just the PS3 and the SmartTV.  So now they could stream happily with no restrictions.  Guests would still connnect their own devices to the guest wifi (with the VPN), so whatever their activities were, it wouldn't result in warnings to me.

Not sure if any other hosts are faced with any of those considerations, but if so, hopefully my efforts will help you, OR, maybe you have a solution already that I could learn and benefit from!

All questions or comments are welcome.

1 Best Answer
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Rp1,

Very good post!

I’ve been thinking about such issues too.

Fortunately we never had any such problems yet (which does not mean, there will never be any). And it is also part of our house-rules: “Downloading illegal or copyrighted content is forbidden. Watching any non-blocked paid video-channels is forbidden too. Furthermore, making any configuration-, hard- or software changes to our internet infrastructure is also forbidden”.

The problem: Whatever I do, I cannot replace the lousy ISP modem in the middle (But I will investigate whether a VPN service will solve potential issues like these).

Since I cannot really relocate my ISP router either. Guests will therefore always have the possibility to reset the router (the original network-id and associated password is in hard-print on the back of the router. And I have no intention to start scratching these off or something).

I was fortunately able to block “Pay-per-View” or “Video-on-Demand” channels (as far as I know, I blocked all of them. But what, when our ISP simply adds just more of those?)

Conclusion: Whatever you do, some people will always find their way.

And yes, a lot can be done to avoid situations like these, by adding additional equipment, configuration or services. But it doesn’t make things easier and could cause other problems (adding complexity will undoubtedly increase the chance to some problem of any kind).

Please bear in mind, 99 out of a 100 guests, just want to simply sign up to a Wi-Fi network. And use their mobile devices for common activities, which require internet-access.

And not having to jump through a load of hoops, just to sign up to the Wi-Fi.

Since I’m nowhere near our property, I cannot solve the more complex problems myself, by physically going there (as someone could simply/accidentally have unplugged a cable or something).

So all-in-all it is a bit of a trade-off: The chance of such an issue to happen versus the potential associated costs.

As we didn’t had a proper Wi-Fi signal in the bedrooms. We’ve also added a wireless range-extender with a different network name (again: Not an ideal solution. But for now it serves those guests, whom appreciate it).

Using a different network name (and password) also avoids kids to remain on their mobile devices, while they should be asleep. Which is highly appreciated by most parents.

Even in our pretty straight-forward setup. We sometimes encounter problems (we do not control, what wireless devices guest may bring with them).

Most of these problems can still simply be resolved however, by just recycling the power to our internet infrastructure.

The rule is pretty simple: When guests had problems connecting to the internet. You are most likely in for a bad review. Or at least mentioning the problematic Wi-Fi.

Ps.

Originally, I installed a high-end wireless range-extender. But it caused too much stress on the simple ISP router. Causing the ISP router to stall frequently (Like: Daily).

Once I replaced my high-end wireless range-extender, by a very simple version. All these problems vanished instantaneously.

Again another usual example of consequences by adding complexity.

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

Hello, your post is very interesting.

I have an apartment that I plan to rent with AIRBNB next year, where I am setting up a LTE connection.

I bought an industrial LTE router (to be sure that it will work 100% of the time), then I attached to it a small cheap router with gargoyle free firmware to limit the data usage to 1.6GB per day as I have 50GB/month (actually it is more complex as I have written a script that gets the unused quota left form the day before, if not zero, and makes it available for the rest of the month). All this hardware is in the cellar where the guests have no access (I do not live close), and the internet is going to the apartment through powerline modems; a powerline modem in the apartment is working as an access point for wifi and cable if needed.

Now, I have some considerations about legal issues.

First of all, the LTE is tied to a cellular number. How do I make sure that in case of problems the guest is responsible and I can show that the number was used not by me but by them instead? Should I write the number somewhere in a contract?

Second: I do not understand the vpn trick. If they download illegal material, I am not sure that the VPN will protect you: the owner of the vpn contract is always the landlord, and in case of serious problem he needs anyway to show that the VPN was not used by him

Or, maybe, I am missing something?

Could you explain more?

thank you

The best way to solve this problem, I believe, is by registering your internet connection with your ISP as a business entity, stating that it will be used as  "public access" WiFi. 

I've checked with a local ISP and they confirmed this, Check with your own local ISP 

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

This post is brilliant. Thank you for sharing your process! I've been ignoring the letters/emails but I'm worried Comcast/Xfinity will cut my service at some point. Many guests will come to my place, but then one guest inevitably downloads something from Bittorrent and I get an email complaint from some content provider. The two-router setup you detailed is a great work around for your trusted devices off VPN. I figured there would be a router out there that would support bypassing VPN routing based on device (e.g. mac address). Either way, some day this stuff will be more stable I'm hoping and when that day comes I'm on board. I have a friend who tried getting Nord VPN on his router and it turned into a time-sink project for him. For now, it's too much layers of tech for me to deal with.

Kimberly607
Level 2
New Berlin, WI

When I started as a host, it was simple but slow. I'm not a techie person and I live far from my rental property so I contacted this company and they handle it all, boosted our signal and provide hacking protection for all my home controlled devices.

https://www.lumoswifi.com/friends/hospitality/

Chris17176
Level 1
Leesburg, VA

I personally think the google wifi/nest products are ideal for Airbnb homes.  You can fully manage them remotely and there is no management interface exposed locally.  

Nice! I am not sure those were around when I posted this, but even so, if they don't have a way to prevent me from getting copyright notices from my ISP as a result of guest actions, then they wouldn't be suitable for my situation.