This is my reply to guest who want a full refund for bookings after April 14th

Alex---Michael0
Level 6
Berlin, Germany

This is my reply to guest who want a full refund for bookings after April 14th

Hello fellow hosts,

I'm sure that you are getting these requests on a daily basis as well. Guest want a full refund for their reservation, that isn't (yet) covered by airbnb's current shift in policy. Even though I feel very sorry for the guests and often understand their reasons, my hands are bound as I lost around EUR 10.000 through what airbnb did:

+++++++++++

Hello Alex,

I fully understand your position, but airbnb left us hosts completely alone in the current situation and we lost all our income for the next two month within the last week, as airbnb allowed every cancellation with a full refund that had to be paid by the hosts, even though many travelers had insurance that would have covered for it or would have accepted a 50% refund. Our only option now is to stick to our cancellation policy until airbnb comes up with some kind of compensation for our loss, which I doubt. I'm sorry to act this way, but if you cancel now you get at least 50% of what you spend instead of a 100% loss from our side.

For your next well deserved trip I recommend sites like homeaway or you should check out plumguide. They didn't let their hosts down in this situation and found solutions that where acceptable for guests in this complicated stituation. As soon as possible I'll disappear from this platform.

Stay safe and all the best to you!

Best,

Michael

++++++++++++++++++

Let me know what you think or how you are reacting on the new wave of cancellation requests?

Michael

4 Replies 4
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Alex---Michael0  Most travel insurance doesn't cover epidemics, so you should probably take that out.  And the complaining and the blaming.  If I were a traveler I would find it really off-putting.  It's all about you.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alex---Michael0  I really don't think most guests care about your loss of income- you're a complete stranger to them. Your message is akin to guests asking hosts for a discount because they're on a budget and can't afford more. Why should they expect the host to give a hoot about their financial situation?

I think you'd be better off just saying you need to stick to your cancellation policy and that you'll refund them the 50% they are losing if you manage to rebook the dates.

Barbara2157
Level 3
Canonsburg, PA

@Alex---Michael0 Keep in mind that most of the guests are now not working either.  You are not the only one losing income.  Those that planned trips are losing out as well and should not be paying for services that were never rendered. 

I explained to the guest that all the cancellations were putting a financial strain to me and that I was going to keep part of the cancellation.  They agreed.  I am going to do this with everyone of them before I approve.