This site just gets more messy by the day!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

This site just gets more messy by the day!

I say to guests when they leave, if they enjoyed their stay and wish to return in the future send a new enquiry via the Airbnb search page, put in the required stay dates and I will send a special offer for the new booking.

In the past it has worked, a new enquiry has come with the option to send a special offer.....not any more! The Airbnb bot recognises that this guest has stayed at this listing before and the enquiry option is removed from the mix and simply goes straight into our existing message stream. The guest is then taken directly to the 'Book and Pay' page, they are not given the option to make an enquiry.

My reaction was, ok proceed with the booking and I do have the option to refund you money, I will refund 15% of the amount I will be paid for the stay.

Another brick wall, the guest books at the full price and when I hit the send money tab it asks me for the date change for the booking as the only option to send money.....I can't proceed with a refund unless I manipulate the dates.....and on a two night stay that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room!.

This platform is becoming entirely unworkable, it has now got to the point where I can no longer reward past guests for their loyalty to me and to Airbnb.

In future I won't let this happen again, this is robotic madness.....all I want to do is reward a past guest for their loyalty an yet still involve Airbnb!

What this is doing is encouraging hosts to do deals outside the platform....can't this company realise how they are shooting themselves in the foot!

I have to say, I have had a great relationship with Airbnb but, over the past year they are severely testing my patience and my loyalty.

Cheers........Rob

20 Replies 20
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Robin4 

Yes, Rob, I know 😏

I've simply resolved it to Airbnb having outgrown itself. Can't keep up. 

They produce bookings. That's what they do. They're pretty good at that, but nobody should be under any Illusions that they're truly prepared to do more than that.

Despite all the flowery marketing, at the end of the day, their core competency is simply, a booking platform. Considering their size and weight, it's a bit naive to expect otherwise. But like many, I am growing more averse to airbnb's increasing authoritarianism, especially with respect to hosts. They increasingly seem to cross lines that they shouldn't, (unwittingly?) victimizing hosts.. And guests. And that's troubling.

But again, I think they may be in it a bit over their heads now. Resorting to blunt instruments, making a lot of mistakes, and then making mistakes trying to fix it. And then pretending nothing happened. I think it's become systematic, not some premeditated conspiracy. I suspect chesky and the board actually still believe their own rhetoric. 

It seems rather dishonest IMO, but perhaps they just haven't yet come to grips with the reality that they can never again deliver the idealism of their past. Naturally, they will continue to dress themselves in that idealism, but in practice, they've simply outgrown it. Can't keep up. 

So, the reality is that it's prudent to see it like it is, rather than how they dress it, realise that you're pretty much on your own, and act accordingly. Take the bookings, but cover your assets. That's all you've really got, with any major booking platform. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elaine701 

Elaine, you are right....of course you are right but, I feel like I have grown up with Airbnb, they have been a major part of my life over the past 6 years .....but every time I trust them, they let me down....they put some obstacle in my way!

Why is it that I am not allowed to reward a past guest with a cheaper tariff?

Why is it that I am given no information about a guest before a booking is in place?

Why is it that a 3 star review is fine for the guest to give, but a penalty for the host to receive?

Why is it that the guest can book with no money, but the host is penalised when the booking fails?

Why is it that the host is kept in the dark when the guest lodges a complaint? 

Why is it that my last years phone will not run Airbnb's updated mobile app?

Elaine, I am truly skating on thin ice here, I know it sounds big headed but, I am better than this, and as a host I deserve better treatment than Airbnb are offering. I have snoozed my listing on VRBO, Homeaway Stayz because I wanted to give Airbnb the lions share of my hosting, I am hoping those good days will return when I felt I actually had a partner, but that hourglass is not looking good! 

Cheers........Rob 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Robin4 

I know, I know. 

I suspect idiocy like this is just totem pole incompetence. 

Look, chesky, the board, and all executive staff have little to do with this. They have a completely different focus. They worry about stock prices, investor relations, strategic partnerships, the SEC, regulatory issues... 

The people making these decisions are several levels down the food chain. The have their own fiefdoms. They think about their careers. They have friends and enemies in the department. 

In your case, I'll speculate that some enterprising lieutenant got hold of some market research that suggests that once a guests has booked a place, they're hooked. So, in order to "simplify" the process for them, they take away certain options. And as an added bonus, they're stuck with whatever price... or something like that. Boss, who hadn't had their coffee yet, likes this lieutenant, and decides to approve it, to shut him up...

Really, it more likely has more to do with inter office politics than what's good for the company or it's customers. And the exclusive staff likely has no knowledge whatsoever.  And that's just how giant companies work. 

Anyway, I feel you. I also used to be a devout disciple. But I'm more realistic now. 

Yo no sé que departamento, dejó tirados injustamente, a anfitriones como yo, que recibía 6 personas diarias,  en mi  casa frente al mar, en un pueblito costero no turístico, donde es un privilegio descasar. 

Mis evaluaciones son verdaderamente buenas, excepto algún alcohólico y drogadicto que me ha tocado sufrir.

Las cuestión, si un huésped me escribe en su evaluación pública, que estuvo muy orgulloso de consumir drogas en casa, y tiene una evaluación más que justa y respetuosa de mi parte, contando la verdad para avisar a otros anfitriones, al huésped no le pasa nada. Pero si una persona que pretende tener vacaciones de alcohol, e incumple todas las reglas, no pasa nada, aunque si una de éstas personas, decide en venganza, escribir cualquier barbaridad, entonces soy penalizada, no opto a superhost, y entonces no recibo ninguna ayuda, durante la pandemia.

La palabra de un huésped es la ley, y las reglas que pone un anfitrión en beneficio de todos, son algo sin mayor importancia, y si decido que un huésped  conflictivo, se marche de casa, porque ha incumplido todas las reglas por supuesto, el dinero lo pierdo yo, y nadie más.

Una noche a las tres de la madrugada llamé pidiendo que saque a dos mujeres jóvenes, que llegaron a casa y les pregunté en que les podía ayudar y me respondieron juntas con una sonrisa- ALCOHOL-. Así les indiqué dos sitios d la zona con música en directo junto a la playa.

A las tres llegaron a casa, vomitado las paredes, el suelo, golpeando las puertas, el inodoro con golpes al dejar caer la tapa para vomitar.. Cuando llamé para pedir que se marchen, se había levantado  los otros huéspedes por el escándalo , me preguntan de Airbnb cuál es el problema, y le explico, éstas chicas están borrachas y vomitando toda mi casa y caen sobre su vómito y no quiero más problemas, cobro solo esa noche, no todos los días, y la respuesta de la que me atendía fue- CUIDADO señora con lo que está diciendo, porque esa mujer seguramente está embarazada, y no borracha.

Bueno, esa fue la ayuda que recibí como anfitrión, y lloré tanto, y terminé vomitando yo también de nervios por la situación y la injusticia, era de película de terror. Ni siquiera quiso escuchar a los otros huéspedes.

Es lo que hay ¡Y supongo que éste comentario, traerá  problemas en  mi dirección.

No hablar, no quejarse, y si lo haces que sea con una máquina, no como antes.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robin4  I only refunded to a guest once, and I chose to simply transfer money to her bank account rather than faff around with Airbnb's labyrinth. I've also accepted cash if a guest wanted to extend a day or two.

If they are going to make simple things frustrating and time-consuming, I'm going to deal with my business in the most efficatious manner for me and my guests.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Robin4 You have to click "Change or Cancel Reservation" not "Send or refund money."

Change or Cancel Reservation = before the stay has taken place

Send or refund money = after the stay has concluded

You will get a screen like below and then you update the price and click next. The guest will get a notification to approve the change and once they do the reservation will be updated to reflect the "new" total amount.

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.53.50 PM.png

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emilia42 

Exactly ! And the Airbnb service fee will be calculated accordingly.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emilia42 

Yes I came to that page but the accommodation cost simply reflected the nights booked not the cost per night and I could not make a minor adjustment to it. As soon as I tried and went to proceed it simply jumped back to my regular two night tariff.

My next thought was, as they had given me their specific dates, to go to my calendar page and change the tariff for those two nights and then have them proceed with a booking. I wrestled in my mind over doing that, the last time I did that the guest didn't get to their message stream for a few hours and another guest jumped in and grabbed the discounted nights.

I don't like interfering with calendar settings, every time I do it has unwanted consequences.

I just wish Airbnb would let me run my business, I don't need them playing mother hen, I have been doing this long enough to know what I am doing.

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4 The "Change or Cancel Reservation" action will only work if there is an active confirmed reservation. When I read your post I thought that the guest had already booked the new dates (the guest books at the full price and when I hit the send money tab. . .)The guest has to book as normal and then you alter the rate with the "Change or Cancel Reservation" function. I do this quite often and really appreciate this feature. 

Thanks Emalia,

That may Help

Using the change and or cancel page is quick and easy.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Robin4   I appreciate your loyalty to a platform that has done well for you.  I also am loyal to the platforms that I use up to certain point.  In order to offer my repeat guest value for their hard-earned money, I would rather they booked direct.  Note:  I do not take guests off platform if they book, inquire or otherwise communicate from a platform.  And I can only return/refund or discount monies received by me, which means that a discounted guest would pay more in taxes and service fees anyway, as those are calculated at booking -- the service fee seldom reduces.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emilia42  @Emiel1  @Elaine701 

Okay, update....it's now AM next day, I have gone back into the message stream and clicked 

'Change Reservation' and the system has allowed me to alter the price. The difference between this morning and last night is, I am now offered the the green tab....'Send Request'

Change reservation amount.png

and the alteration has gone through. Thanks guys for your input, the only thing I can think of, there was some glitch in the system that was not letting me alter my price setting last night. 

I have been able to do it previously but last night the option was simply not there.

I have found throughout my working life, loyalty is a trait worth honoring. If a guest comes to me through Airbnb they will always remain an Airbnb guest no matter how many times they return. I will reward them with a cheaper tariff but, Airbnb will still be involved.

I don't advise someone who comes to me outside the platform to use Airbnb....they have not been introduced to me through Airbnb, and Airbnb have no right to expect anything from that business, but I do try to remain a loyal user. It's just that at times their programming does seem to get in the road.

Once again, thanks for your input, perseverance has paid off!

Cheers.......Rob  

@Robin4 

Were you drinking wine?! Because this is the exact same scenario that happened to me once when a repeat guest booked and I was drinking wine. Too much at that point. I kept trying to give them a discount by clicking the "Send or refund money" button and I kept screaming at my computer why isn't this working! I finally got ahold of Airbnb ... more wine consumed in the process ... and the CS rep kindly informed me that I was doing it wrong even though I had gone through the process dozens of times! I waited until the next morning to try again. Seriously, sounds like the same story 😉