Thoroughly useless Host Q & A?

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Thoroughly useless Host Q & A?

Hello community of trusty hosts!

I just wasted the better part of an hour watching the host q & a recording (here's the link -- it's surprisingly difficult to find https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Q-A/idb-p/2018-q2-qanda-en). Here's what I learned in summary, for everyone who doesn't want to waste their time:

1. I haven't watched one before because I expected it to be a load of corporate gobbledygook, which it was.Exactly that.

2. No questions actually answered until 23 minutes in, you can skip everything up to that point. He said they got like 6,000 questions submitted and they chose to focus on like 6 of them, with no great solutions for hosts offered.

3. Brian Chesky looks like he is thoroughly bored or worn down with leading this company.

4. Print your house rules and post them at your house

5. The company is completely tone deaf to the actual concerns of hosts. "Yep we hear that you're complaining about these hard issues, and we're not changing them because ...XYZ"

6. They think hosts are idiot children and although they repeatedly state they care about hosts so much and listen to host feedback, they really just don't get it.

What were your takeaways from it? I'm open to hearing opposite opinions or things that you genuinely appreciated about it. I guess I have a very low bull**bleep** tolerance and this was just setting off all my BS triggers.

56 Replies 56
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hi @Jess78 ,

Thanks for watching and reporting !

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

don't know that I'll "invest" the time to watch this one, bc I have watched the previous and my takeaways were fairly consistent with yours

I've never watched one of those..... probably never will. ABB is pretty consistent on exactly one thing - they don't really care about hosts and what we think. 

This is just a booking site, nothing more. I will use their services for as long as it benefits me.

The CC is where I can exchange thoughts and ideas and get help from fellow hosts....this has been most valuable and I probably would not have continued to host if it wasn't for the support and advice I got from other hosts. Sorry to say ABB has not been helpful or supportive when I needed it and I learned my lesson early on that they do not have my back. 

So I doubt they have anything to say that is worth listening to. And besides.....actions speak louder than words. ABB  is very clear about what hosts mean to the company in the way they treat us. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Watched for the first time this morning. I thought it useful to know that they recognise there’s a glitch in how some guests can give reviews without stepping inside the house If is a short notice cancellation and that you can get it removed. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Have never watched one and never will. But thank you @Jess78  for confirming that I have better things to do with my time. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Pretty sure they will never ask me to one of these, are they real hosts or plants?

David
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I watched the first one and I'll probably never watch another one. Totally agree! I sat through the entire thing and I don't think a single question was actually answered. 

@Jess78 I could agree with you more!  Airbnb completely avoided all the concerns and questions which have been aired on the community forum regarding the changes to superhost status.  It seems like that would be of major interest to them since we are the backbone of their financial success!

Maureen175
Level 3
Sequim, WA

I too watched the entire event. Snooze fest for sure. I did think that air bnb is disconnected from its hosts. This week I had a guest sneak in extra people. Bad bad bad guests. I too am new to air bnb and so far the odds are that the guests are out to take advantage of hosts as this is the second time in one month that instant booked guests try to scam me. They want cheap accommodations, and air bnb wants to jam us up. How many times must we amend our house rules for people who are just trying to game the system? 

‘My other thought about the event was that air bnb is trying to upgrade all host sites into fashionable designer homes. But are they trying to upgrade guests as well? If they keep sending me frat boys and weird sex crazed girls groups, I’d say there is no screening for guests. Hey air bnb this is my home! Would you want these people to come live with you? Probably not. 

‘Then the people who don’t realize that not everyone in the world has access to the same things. Rural area do not have access to internet like people in cities, television same thing. Oh my no tv! Air bnb plans to penalize hosts for not offering this basic amenities. Great let’s homogenize the entire world. 

I have never been sent a weird sexed crazed girl group.

David

It's an option you have to check in the Booking settings under guest requirements: Sex crazed girls? Yes/No

@David126  Girl Group:  Complaint or observation...:D

Hmm, just wondered if there was some setting I had not ticked.

David

poor @David126 - no sex crazed girls - I'm with You.