Those 3 am reminder notifications...

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Those 3 am reminder notifications...

This may seem petty to some, but night after night it takes its toll...

Has anyone else become weary (literally) of being awakened in the middle of the night by ABB auto-notification reminders to respond to inquiries/requests?

Please don’t suggest I turn off my phone.  I need to leave it on at night for true emergencies due to family illness and real guest emergencies (which hasn’t happened, but at least i’m available).

This is the 3rd night in a row I’ve been awakened  between 2and 4 am by a non-essential Air BnB notification about something I have 18 hours left to respond to. I have no control over guests who do business 24/7, but we also have 24 hours to respond.

This is a business. We are also allowed to have a private life.  We are not like a motel that has to have staff available 24/7 for middle of the night walk-up bookings.

6 am-10 pm are reasonable times to conduct this business, and I respond to every inquiry and request promptly.

Getting a reasonable amount of sleep is not only a right, it makes me a far better host.

ABB has the ability to program the notifications to happen within reasonable business hours anywhere on the planet.

Have left feedback about this several times.

Anyone else...weary from this?

8 Replies 8

Not I, as I do not own a cell phone and my husband keeps his in his office. I do have a suggestion that may be of help. Your personal reasonse  for needing to keep it on are certainly compelling. Perhaps you could aquire a 2nd line just for Airbnb. You could give your guests your active line when they arrive, but set up the nusance line solely for your Airbnb  profile. Deduct the cost as a business expense for your taxes.

Rafael381
Level 2
Puebla, Mexico

I used to have the same problem, not only with Airbnb, but also with some other non essential notifications. My solution was to activate Night Shift on my iPhone, leaving alerts only for my favorites in case of an emergency, so when I wake up, I still can see my Airbnb notifications, reply or ignore them, and have a good night´s sleep. 

If you own an iPhone go to Settings > Do not Disturb > Scheduled > Allow Calls From

Amber233
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

Agreed. With a 92% occupancy rate, I usually have a guest so I cannot turn my phone off at night. I would love to have a host feature that allowed only the guest with the current reservation to contact me through the platform at night (10 pm -6 am). Those reminder notifications wake me up every night as do, instant bookings, and inquiries.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Susan1028  Middle of the night notifications drive me nuts. I also keep my phone next to the bed, in case of emergency.  I get so many inquiries and booking requests in the middle of the night, which only serve to wake me - I'm never going to respond until the next day, anyway. I wish there was an option to hold all Airbnb messages between certain times, except those from checked-in guests, or guests arriving that day. 

Have you considered getting software that can automate replies? I'd get that so that you know the inquiry is "taken care of" and then I'd change the settings so that those notifications get muted. 

I wouldn't consider software to automate replies.  One can't mute the inquiries separately from actual resident guest messages. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The key issue for me is the Airbnb app permission under "Messages" which says "Receive messages from hosts and guests including booking requests".   One can switch email, push notifications and text messages on or off. But it allows booking requests, even though I don't want them during late night hours, but I do want urgent messages from guests in-residence, or arriving late and possibly unable to get in.   Push notifications/texts for reminders, and promotions and tips, can be turned off, while still coming in on email.  @Susan1028 

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Totally agree with @Rafael381 , @Susan1028 . My phone is android and my daughter turned on 'Do not disturb' between 10pm and 7am. It is set up that all the notifications etc come through but with no sound. If someone rings twice within a set time, it will ring. Also set up that if selected people like my children ring, then it will ring.