Those pesky cancellation policies

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Those pesky cancellation policies

Guest Instant Booked for three days in July, thus accepting my strict cancellation policy. This week they altered their reservation to three days in August, and an hour later cancelled, saying they had to go out of the country.  I got an email saying they had been refunded 50%.

Two days later Airbnb emailed me and asked me to refund the rest, asking me to reconsider my decision, "in the spirit of Airbnb."

I took a page from "Casablanca" and wrote back:  "I'm shocked that a representative of Airbnb would ask me to break the Terms of Service in this manner. It flies in the face of the mutual respect that is at the heart of the spirit of Airbnb."

Airbnb replied that bypassing my strict cancellation policy would be "an act of goodwill."  And I replied that I had given my answer and was not interested in discussing the matter further.  Their response:  "I understand.  Please consider this case closed.  Have a nice day!"

First, let me just say that I've happily refunded guests fully when they've made a mistake or couldn't come because of a blizzard or something.  But I didn't like the guests' attempt to game the system by altering and then cancelling.  They clearly thought that if they changed the date and cancelled within 48 hours, they would get a full refund.  But the refund policy was linked to the original booking date.

Second, I CAN'T EVEN with the guilting and the pressure to circumvent the policy!!!  Suggesting that I show goodwill toward guests who tried to game me is just not on!

Nevertheless, would you believe I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "I should give the money back"?

Somebody please talk me back from the ledge.

61 Replies 61
David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you can secure another booking for the dates, I’d just offer the guests a refund. Yes, these kind of guests don’t deserve it, but it will make you feel better about the whole situation? 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ann72   You have a better sense about these potential guests than any of us, so could you help us understand what makes you believe these guests were gaming the system?  On the surface it appears these guests were a bit flakey or at least poor planners.

As @David6  posted, many hosts will provide a refund if the dates are rebooked.  I have always done that and sometimes I get a better guest at a higher rate.  

I don't have a problem with Air BNB representing the interests of guests and their suggestion is not really against the TOS since it was up to you ultimately.  

@Linda108 

Altering the dates in order to wangle a refund is a known scam, rampant on Airbnb now. 

@Linda108, for the sake of brevity, I didn't go into the multitude of messages I got from the guest's girlfriend, and I also didn't go into those details because, as @Susan17 notes, it's become such a well-known scam.  @David6, if I get another booking, I will consider it when the payout is made.  I don't feel too bad about it today 🙂

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I’ve had it played on me a few times. When CS phone I just say look, my mortgage and outgoings need paying. Maybe pay out from Airbnb central funds but my policy is non negotiable . No refund. Sorry. 

@David6 Love that.  If I were in it for good will, I'd let everyone come for free.

@Ann72   If airbnb didn't ask you to refund the rest, would you have thought of it on your own?  That's your answer.  

Airbnb does not seem to be losing any money.  They have a billion clients and we have what we have.  

@Frank-And-Monique0 Thank you - well pointed out!  

@Linda108, you're right, and the rep told me that I have the power to bypass my strict cancellation policy.  But they were aiding a guest in his wish to break the agreed-upon terms.  If I as a host went around blithely ignoring the TOS, I'd be shut down.  I don't appreciate the double standard.

never ignore , decline  !!!!!!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ann72 

Why would you even consider refunding a guest who was clearly scamming you? All that would achieve is to embolden the guest to scam their next unsuspecting host. And the one after that. 

As for Airbnb trying to cajole/coerce you into giving a refund, where none is due - that's not an aberration. It's standard Airbnb practice. They've been pulling that charming little stunt for years. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Ann72   what @Susan17  say's, my thoughts exactly

@Susan17 and @Jeff158 - exactly.  If these guests had merely been honest with me, and written me that they could no longer make the trip, I would have given them a refund.  But to block my calendar at the height of the season, and then to lie - as @Gordon0 says, no more Mr. Nice Guy.  Maybe the fact that their bungled attempt at a scam didn't work will help them to be more straightforward in the future.

And Susan, I've heard a lot about the coercion thing so I know it's not new, but it still offends me.  Why not just ask, without the guilt tripping?  

Now we’re talking!  Just be honest with me from the get go, and I’ll be far more likely to acquiesce to your request.  Playing games, on the other hand,  is a total non-starter.