Those pesky cancellation policies

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Those pesky cancellation policies

Guest Instant Booked for three days in July, thus accepting my strict cancellation policy. This week they altered their reservation to three days in August, and an hour later cancelled, saying they had to go out of the country.  I got an email saying they had been refunded 50%.

Two days later Airbnb emailed me and asked me to refund the rest, asking me to reconsider my decision, "in the spirit of Airbnb."

I took a page from "Casablanca" and wrote back:  "I'm shocked that a representative of Airbnb would ask me to break the Terms of Service in this manner. It flies in the face of the mutual respect that is at the heart of the spirit of Airbnb."

Airbnb replied that bypassing my strict cancellation policy would be "an act of goodwill."  And I replied that I had given my answer and was not interested in discussing the matter further.  Their response:  "I understand.  Please consider this case closed.  Have a nice day!"

First, let me just say that I've happily refunded guests fully when they've made a mistake or couldn't come because of a blizzard or something.  But I didn't like the guests' attempt to game the system by altering and then cancelling.  They clearly thought that if they changed the date and cancelled within 48 hours, they would get a full refund.  But the refund policy was linked to the original booking date.

Second, I CAN'T EVEN with the guilting and the pressure to circumvent the policy!!!  Suggesting that I show goodwill toward guests who tried to game me is just not on!

Nevertheless, would you believe I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "I should give the money back"?

Somebody please talk me back from the ledge.

61 Replies 61
Dena42
Level 2
East Providence, RI

You're much more understanding than others.  I, on the other hand, booked a Treehouse in Portland, Oregon that I saw on Conde Nast and the host had great reviews.  My trip is still 45 days away, and we've had to cut our trip a day short due to my children and have to get back to Rhode Island a day early, and I've explained to the host that we could only stay one night at the Treehouse instead of two and it's still 45 days away??!  He said, nope, strict policy and a two-day minimum...I went to Airbnb because he said it was up to them to give me my money back, and they said they couldn't because the host wouldn't budge.  Now, I could see if it was next week, but it's a month and a half away???  This "strict" policy is confusing I might add and really ridiculous when it comes to renting on Airbnb.  I could cancel a hotel reservation no problem 45 days out.  Mind you this Treehouse gets over 500 views a day and several bookings.  I think the host is not a nice person and could care less about real life even though I've contacted him so far in advance of our reservation :-((((  VERY POOR and Airbnb didn't tell him to take one for the team, that's for sure!!   Now, how am I supposed to go stay there for even one night when I think he's a real jerk, uncaring and unreasonable, and he lives in the house????    So it's not always in favor of a guest, and I've booked many Airbnb's before this and have great reviews!

@Dena42 wrote:

He said, nope, strict policy and a two-day minimum...

The two-day minimum is the real issue here. They don't want one night guests for many [and in my opinion good] reasons. Did you ask to cancel the entire reservation? 

Sorry, but you're being the jerk here.

You booked an in-demand place that has a 2-night minimum. 

I can't speak to that particular host's cleaning times, but my cleaning people and I spend about 3 hours cleaning between guests and another 3 hours doing the 4-5 loads of laundry. That equates to $210 at Airbnb's "living wage" pledge. It's absolutely not worth our time to do that for a 1-night stay.

By asking for a refund to make it a 1-night stay you're basically saying "I don't care that I signed a contract for 2 nights. I expect the host to do all the same prep work for half the wage. Why? Because I'm too unorganized to plan my travel and too entitled to take responsibility for my own mistakes". I think you'd do better by asking to cancel altogether with a refund contingent on them re-selling dates.

If you wanted a generic hotel stay with flexible cancellation, book the Holiday Inn or one of a few hundred flexible cancellation rooms in Portland (with identical IKEA decor). When you start getting into the unique, desirable lodging that ends up in Conde Nast, you'd be hard pressed to find one with liberal cancellation policies. (Go look up the cancellation policies at the Ice hotel, Post Ranch Inn, The Brando, etc.) You've taken valuable space on their calendar and pay a premium to cancel.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The second I get a whiff of somebody trying to be smart with me, it's no more Mr Nice Guy. 

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Ann72 ... good to know, that it seems not working (anymore) to circumvent the cancellation policy just by altering the dates.

.. and I would definitely not give any refund (except the obligated 50%) to such a guest who plays such a dishonest game. I would feel better knowing about the fact, that the guest has to pay for this.

Btw. I guess the CS rep was only doing his job as he gets the request of the guest. Probably we should start asking airbnb if they could ask the guest to pay 100% if we don't find another guest 🙂 ... probably then they start realizing the stupidity. 

@Mika8 I'm laughing.  Host to CS:  "Oh, I wish I could - but since you feel so strongly about it, why don't you have Airbnb provide the refund?  Then everyone will be happy - in the spirit of Airbnb."

Love this @Mika0!

I'll definitely remember this when it happens to me again.

Once you will become smarter , you will never be a superhost. So think twice:)

@Ann72  @Mika8   I think if a guest does that, their cancellation refund should be Null and Void.  That's totally a way around the policy every time.  What if every guest did that?  They'd all get the full refund?  Why have a strict policy at all?  

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Ann72 I am offended for you. Maine's high season isn't that long. Will you get a new booking? Probably. "Should" [a word I am working to remove from myvocabulary] you refund? No, not really. Again, the guests tried to scam you and don't really deserve any more rope than they gave themselves.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Susan151 If I haven't said it before, I've thought it often enough:  you're the best.

And to your point about Maine's seasonality - yup:

Screenshot 2019-05-23 15.39.12.png

PS:  I once saw a photo of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward at home in Connecticut.  A cushion on their sofa was embroidered:  "I wil not should on myself today."

@Ann72 

Been there......and did exactly what you did 🙂 

Based on how Airbnb handles cancellations.... it seems the real *spirit of Airbnb* is to lie, cheat or cajole to trick or pressure hosts into issuing refunds beyond what was initially agreed between host and guest. 

Look up the word "bully" in the dictionary and we might see the Airbnb logo there any day now. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 wrote:

@Ann72 

Been there......and did exactly what you did 🙂 

Based on how Airbnb handles cancellations.... it seems the real *spirit of Airbnb* is to lie, cheat or cajole to trick or pressure hosts into issuing refunds beyond what was initially agreed between host and guest. 

Look up the word "bully" in the dictionary and we might see the Airbnb logo there any day now. 

Bingo! We have a winner!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ann72

Phase 2 in this guests little scam will likely be to have their best friend's father-in-law write them a doctor's note for the common cold (which run ramped in August) to file for a refund under extenuating circumstances. I can see them plotting it now.

@Emilia42 Three steps ahead of me - I'll just resign myself to that now!  🙂