Throw the hosts a few peanuts and then screw them by extending the EC policy to May 31st. Thanks.

Throw the hosts a few peanuts and then screw them by extending the EC policy to May 31st. Thanks.

Hosts with strict policies now get 12.5% of the rental (25% of 50%). This is about the same amount as the Airbnb fee which they kept (while refunding ALL of the host's money) and issued guests a 'voucher'. So essentially we're getting the voucher money, which costs Airbnb nothing. So generous of you to give us the money you didn't refund to the guests. Great, that'll pay about 15% of my mortgage.

And you couldn't scrounge up more than $10m out of your $3 Billion dollar cash hoard? I wonder how many superhosts will even qualify given the restrictions. And I'm guessing 'up to $5,000' means a couple people will get $5000 and the rest of us will get 500.

The rest of the 'benefits' are meaningless.

The EC policy is devastating to hosts. By extending it to May 31st you're showing once again how little you care or value hosts. Not surprising but it shows your true character.

79 Replies 79
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Very interesting point!    "Hosts with strict policies now get 12.5% of the rental (25% of 50%). This is about the same amount as the Airbnb fee....

I think you have deciphered where this magic number came from! 🙂

I think they should give at least 50% of 50% regarding the strict cancelation policy. It would be 25% of the rental.

Yes! And they are now sending emails to our future Guests telling them the must cancel their reservations at least 7 days prior to reservations date (of course this is a lie and contradicts their COVID-19 policy which state that the Guest can cancel any day up until the reservation date).  Why is Airbnb sending this  misleading message to Guests?  Because if the Guest cancels within the last 7 days Hosts get 25% (not 12.5%).  Chesky is going through this underhanded effort to cheat us out of 12.5%.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

More fake news from @James207 . Airbnb are refunding the guests fees with real money not vouchers. If you have to complain at least please don't just make things up.

He clearly stated Airbnb refunded ALL of the host's money and issued guests a 'voucher'. This is true at least here in the US, I don't know what shenanigans they are pulling over there so YMMV.

@Mike-And-Helen0 

Will you at least attempt to do a bit of basic research before posting? Countless thousands of guests all over the world are receiving travel coupons in lieu of Airbnb service fees. 

Normally I like you @Susan17 but that was jolly rude, given that you did not do a basic amount of research about who you were forgetting your manners with.

I believe that was @Mike-And-Jane0 .

Poor Helen lol! @Mike-And-Helen0 

@Piotr48 I know, right?!

@Mike-And-Helen0 

You're absolutely right! My apologies - I have no idea how that happened, I'm posting from my phone and must have pressed the wrong tab by mistake. So sorry - no offence intended to you whatsoever. 

I do fully stand by my original comment to @Mike-And-Jane0 though. There's far too much misinformation circulating on this forum, and posters commenting with untrue and unresearched statements perpetuates that misinformation, and makes everything all the more confusing for stressed hosts coming here trying to find out what's happening with their bookings. 

Apologies again. I'll make sure to be more careful in future! 

@Susan17 

My basic research is shown below (my underlining). I stand by MY comments

I’ve heard Airbnb is offering travel credit instead of refunds to guests. Is that true?
When guests cancel due to COVID-19-related circumstances, we’re giving them the option to take either a cash refund or a travel credit that can be used for a stay at a later date. This is our way of encouraging guests to book with Airbnb hosts in the future.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Listen, I'm not going to waste any more time on this other than to point out that the above is not what you stated in your original comment - you insisted that Airbnb is refunding guest fees in cash, and not in vouchers, and that the OP was spreading "fake news" and making things up. 

You can post Airbnb's disingenuous and misleading FAQs till the cows come home, but the reality is, thousands of guests are receiving their guest fees back in vouchers, without ever having being asked their preference, or given an option (as evidenced by the countless furious posts all over the internet from guests who are now in possession of Airbnb coupons that they have no use for, and don't want)

Theoretically, guests can subsequently subject themselves to the torture of having to contact CX and go through the rigmarole of having the vouchers invalidated, and the corresponding amount returned to their original payment method - that's if they can get any response at all from CX of course. In practice, some guests are having success with this strategy, but many more aren't. 

So once again.. guests are routinely being refunded their service fees in limited-use coupon form, without having first been given any other option. Over and out on this. 

Yawn

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Once again, another stunningly helpful and intelligent contribution from you. 

I thought so too.