Throw the hosts a few peanuts and then screw them by extending the EC policy to May 31st. Thanks.

Throw the hosts a few peanuts and then screw them by extending the EC policy to May 31st. Thanks.

Hosts with strict policies now get 12.5% of the rental (25% of 50%). This is about the same amount as the Airbnb fee which they kept (while refunding ALL of the host's money) and issued guests a 'voucher'. So essentially we're getting the voucher money, which costs Airbnb nothing. So generous of you to give us the money you didn't refund to the guests. Great, that'll pay about 15% of my mortgage.

And you couldn't scrounge up more than $10m out of your $3 Billion dollar cash hoard? I wonder how many superhosts will even qualify given the restrictions. And I'm guessing 'up to $5,000' means a couple people will get $5000 and the rest of us will get 500.

The rest of the 'benefits' are meaningless.

The EC policy is devastating to hosts. By extending it to May 31st you're showing once again how little you care or value hosts. Not surprising but it shows your true character.

79 Replies 79
Jasmin483
Level 2
New York, United States

This is too much. Airbnb is betting on ripping off hosts, and not willing to help with 50% of the refund. They just failed us hosts.

Moving my property to HomeAway. At least they will have my back. 

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

Airbnb encourages the guests to cancel immediately—this way my payout outside the 14 day is only half of the rent, otherwise within 14 days Airbnb would have to pay 25% of the full rent. By encourage them to CANCEL NOW, airbnb ensures they only have to pay 12.5% of the total, instead of the real 25% of the total. My end of May guest was going to postpone (we already communicated about this last week), but after he received the new email from Airbnb ENCOURAGE him to cancel, he decided to cancel right away, and he did. He also told me Airbnb is giving him a voucher, and the 10% Airbnb serivce fee refund also is a voucher.

not sure how long the voucher is good for? If the guest forgot to use before it expires, that’s another gain for Airbnb.

@Sharon480 

What you said in your last sentence is EXACTLY why I feel it's better for guests and hosts alike to give refunds rather than vouchers. 

Airbnb is playing everyone for fools with the "pay hosts 25%" slogan. I don't agree with or like how they went about with the refunds, how they treated hosts in the process, and the language they continue to use to trick or mislead hosts and guests. It's disgusting. 

Like I said in a separate comment above, the ONLY thing Airbnb did right was to extend penalty free cancellations under EC covid-19 till end of May because no one will be able to travel..... probably for even longer. 

@Jo56 @Jenny349 

The way Airbnb worded it made the guests feel like Airbnb is being so generous by giving the host 25% out of their own pocket while getting a full refund for the guests (it’s like “wow Airbnb is such an amazing company”).
So generous that the guests feel it’s perfectly OK to get a voucher instead of a cash refund. I have to give a high applause to Airbnb public strategic team or which ever team that arranged this whole deal —very clever indeed!

Mark396
Level 3
New Orleans, LA

My guess is that any "generosity" by BnB will come with legally binding "full resolution" and "full and faithful payment" clauses that prevent litigation and/or further arbitration.  What I wonder is isn't this actually a breach of contract since the  "policy" was changed AFTER the PRINCIPAL PARTIES (hosts and guests) had agreed under contract?  Isn't' BnB actually the AGENT in the arrangement we have with them?

If I sold my house for 500k and then the R.E agent just decided to change the sales price to 60k unilaterally, without consulting the buyer or the seller, what would that look like?  Is this any different?

Just my 2 cents.  Thanks.