Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Middle?

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Middle?

Is Airbnb considering a "Thumbs Middle" option?  I had a guest who wasn't BAD, but he left the lights on a lot after many reminders to stop, he ate some of my food without asking, it took him a while to get the message that the front door needs t be locked at all times and how to accomplish that. . . . but he was polite and quiet, so not a 'problem' guest. . .just not a great guest.  I guess since the Thumbs Up and Thumbs down are not visible it doesn't matter - but what do people recommend in situations like that?  I started my review by saying he was a good guest, but then I put things on which he could 'improve' as a guest. . . ???

9 Replies 9
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ward1 I see the thumbs up/down as whether I am willing to host this person again or not and whether I would recommend them to other hosts. The actual public review is another thing, I always try to give a professional honest review for all of my guests and hosts.

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

Agreed. . .but I think what I am asking is "What if my 'recommendation is. . .MEH. . . "??

@Ward1 haha yes, there are definitely 'meh' guests. I guess then it will be meh closer to bad or meh closer to good.

Agreed

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ward1 No, ABB won't be considering this idea based on this msg (we're just all talking to ourselves here...)

but i agree there are some guests where the answer is more in the middle rather than a true pro/con. 

Im always wondering if ABB holds those thumbs down against us, just a theory that my views/bookings slow down after I thumbs down someone.... but no way to know for sure. 

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

That brings up a really interesting question:  Waht is the Thumbs Uo/Thumbs Down used for????  Does anyone see it?  Does the public see it?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ward1,

Thanks for start this discussion, it is a interesting topic. I would be interested to know how many hosts hover over the thumbs up/thumbs down buttons when they have similar experiences to you with guests, my hunch would be that it could be quite common.  

Do you think one way of thinking about it would be, if this guest wanted to book with you again would you accept or not? Would this make it easier to select this option? Also, do you think having a thumbs middle would help other hosts feel more informed?

It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

I think a "Thumbs Middle" WOULD help hosts decide if a guest should or shoudl not be booked.  Sometimes I get a request from a guest and I don;t have enough info to make the decision.  

Do we actually get to see when someone gives a thumbs up or thumbs down??  Or is the Thumbs Down just a way for Airbnb to (possibly?) flag a guest?

The process here seems to be so "They're Great!" or "They're Terrible!".  It would be nice to have the ability for a guest (or a host) to consider how they might improve thier ability to be booked.

For instance:  I just stayed at a listing that I liked overall, but the walls were a ltitle thin.  It would have been EXCEPTIONAL if there had been a 'white noise' machine in the room.  I put this comment both in the private feedback and in the public review (along with a bunch of things saying how really great the place was), but it is posible that the host could be annoyed with me making that public. . .but I felt it strong enough to make it public.

Example number two:  I had a guest who was ok, but he left lights on, he asked to borrow $5.00 from me and paid it back later than he said he would (I felt very awkward about that), and he ate a lot of my food when I said "You may have SOME."  The review I left said a lot of positive things baout him, but it did say a thing or two tht he could work on.  He contacted me SEVEN MINTHS later and berated me for the review.  He said it made it harder) for him to book other listings.  I felt that this was a GOOD THING because I felt he really needed to look at his behaviour when staying in someone else's home. . .but he certainly did not agree that this was an opportunity for him to 'change or improve.'  I would have given him a Thumbs Middle. . .  

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

This is simlar to a conversation I started "Adding a proviso to the would you host again review"

seems we agree @Ward1 

A recent guest was not good at saying when he would arrive etc (was a bit shy - didn't help communication). The place was left very very clean and tidy which balanced it - I tried to reflect both aspects in the review. I would host him again but the arrival time and the changes to it would have to be sorted out in advance.