Thumbs and stars

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Thumbs and stars

So I'm confused about what information we can see and what guests can see.

** Thumbs **

Guest apparently does not see if you give thumbs down.

You used to see on the guest profile, the number of thumbs up.
So you - and the guest - could have a look at how many reviews he has, and see if he has less thumbs than reviews, therefore someone gave a thumbs down!

I think this has disappeared as the attentive guest would also immediately be able to deduce you gave a thumbs down.

So what good are the thumbs.  Maybe CS sees it in the future if this guest is the object of a dispute.

** Stars **

Do you see the stars the guest got?  Where?  Does he seem them?

Do you see the stars you got?  Where?

Can  a host see the starts that you gave another host?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Susan1188 I know the guest can't see the thumbs down, but I believe you're right that it has some effect - maybe only that the guest can't Instant Book your place again if you say "No" to Would you host this guest again?

As for the stars, I can't find them on my own guest profile, but I got a booking earlier this year where I could see that the guy had four stars.  But he didn't know he had four stars and I couldn't tell him where to find them at his end, only that I could see them.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Susan1188 

As far as I am aware there are no thumbs up or thumbs down anymore. The last step of the review process is to choose 'yes' or 'no' would you host that guest again. If you choose NO then the guest will not be able to instant book with you again. I believe that is it. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.41.53 PM.png

Guests cannot see the stars they have been given. I have no idea what my star rating is as a guest. I was under the impression that only hosts who have instant booking enabled can see a guest's star ratings. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What @Emilia42  said. Guests have no idea what their star rating is. Of that we are certain!

And I think only Instant Book hosts see stars. I am on Instant Book (with requirements) and I can see the star ratings of all my guests past, present, and future. I see the star rating even if it is just an Inquiry as well.

Jennifer1961
Level 2
Springfield, OR

I'm an instant book host and see no stars on guests that have booked with us so far.

I have the same question as to if a guest can see how many stars you gave them.

We are less then a month into our Airbnb host experience, but we're getting a lot of bookings and I want to be sure I'm giving reviews that help future hosts.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Susan1188,

Thumbs: My understanding is that the 'would you host x again'? question is designed for hosts who have Instant Book switched on but only allow guests with previous good recommendations. @Emilia42 I wonder whether it only blocks them from booking again with you or whether it blocks them from booking with all hosts who have this requirement. Hmmm, interesting question...

Stars: your guests cannot see the stars you have given them, but as a host, you can see a guest's overall star ratings (not star ratings from individual hosts). Before a guest has booked, you can go into Details, then click on where it tells you how many reviews they have and what their overall rating is. This takes you to a page that shows the overall star rating in each category.

As hosts, we can see the stars we got from each guest. Go into Listing > Performance > Reviews > Read Review. This gives you everything (overall rating, individual category ratings, public and private feedback and 'compliments').

Thanks for that explanation! I can see the stars now.