Tier 3 guests trying to book rooms in Tier 1 areas

Gemma171
Level 2
Harbertonford, United Kingdom

Tier 3 guests trying to book rooms in Tier 1 areas

I work in care so as much as I value my AirBnb income I am a little concerned about the current CoViD situation in the U.K.

guests who are advised not to travel in Tier 3 areas seem to be trying to book either covertly or by request my Tier 1 area area with shared spaces in my house.

I am a little disappointed with the current government wording that Tier 3 are ‘advised’ not travel. I risk not only myself but my vulnerable clients by hosting. I would’ve thought Airbnb would be a bit more savvy about protecting people and not encouraging travel to and from lockdowned Tier 3 areas.

Ive had to block my room and will lose money because I cannot risk hosting right now with the lack of safety.

if I turn off instant book I affect superhost and if I don’t allow guests from those areas I am breaching discrimination rules. So I’d love it if Airbnb would update this situation.

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gemma171 Turning off Instant Book will not affect your super host stats.

I don't think Airbnb would consider it discrimination if you refuse guests from tier 2 or 3.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Exactly what I was about to say @Gemma171 !

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Gemma171 Hosting a shared space is a risk with any guests outside your household. Unfortuantely my sister's household have all just tested positive (5 adults) and they live in a tier 1 area. Tiers can only reflect increased risk, not no risk.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Gemma171  Just an innocent question . . what is it that you would expect Airbnb to do?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Where did you get the idea that Instant Book has anything to do with Superhost status?

And Jerry above was quite right. If you are concerned about virus safety, it's a big risk having guests in your home at all. You have zero idea who might be carrying the virus. I don't understand why so many people seem unaware of this.

@Gemma171 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 @Gemma171 I agree we never know who might be carrying the virus, so home sharing is a risk. I guess those of us who still do balance the risks & benefits, which is what Gemma is doing  being happy to host from Tier 1, but not Tier 3....?

Last week it seemed a guest MIGHT have Covid, so he left early. When he reported his symptoms to those in charge of testing, he didn't even need a test! In the meantime, I g oog led whether I should begin 14 days self isolation, if guest should test positive.... To my amazement, the official government advice was that I should isolate  only if I'd been within 2m of him for 15mins! - We both agreed on the phone that our conversation had been from slightly more than 2m, and lasted only 5 mins! - Which is the case with most guests, and I could easily apply this to all! 

Risks & Benefits...

VIRAL LOAD!