Time Wasters

Rob143
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Time Wasters

I'm having constant difficulties with time wasters and they come most often from

the age bracket 18 - 26. More than any other age group they consistently prove to be time wasters in the booking process. Does anybody else have this problem?

23 Replies 23
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rob143  I do find there are some people who need a lot more hand holding than others if that is what you are referring to.  As my place does not especially appeal to the younger crowd, I can't say that I spend more time with that age.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

I thik it is helpful to see it from a guest's perspective.  If I wanted to book a stay somewhere, I think it would be reasonable to ask a few questions before booking.  It would even be fine if I wanted to ask several hosts the same questions (at the same time), and see (a) who responds, and (B) who provides the answers I want (eg proximity to grocery stores, the convention I will be attending, transportation, etc).  I would probably especially do this with several people if I had tried bookingone place  in the past, then not heard back from a host for a couple of days, and had to start again.

When you look at it this way, they are not really wasting time;  they are just trying to serve heir own needs as well as they can.

@Hilary-And-Ed0  I like that you bring the traveler perspective to the discussion.  I wonder if hosts are able to provide good hosting if they have never been a guest.  I am not a frequent traveler, but what I have done has helped me as a host.  I also have a different perspective on some of the changes that Air BNB has done that seem to be more guest centric rather than host centric.

I agree, @Linda108 - it is very helpful to stay at a few Airbnb homes yourself, as a Host.  It gives you the perspective.

Thanks! 

I totally agree on that last point.  An example is the new infant policy (no longer included in total number of guests, or charged for).  Not host centric at all. 

To my original point, I actually have never travelled on Airbnb (yet), but I could imagine putting out feelers with several potential listings to see what would be the best fit. 

Wait...what are you talking about, infant policy???  If you're a living breathing person,  you count in our headcount!  Ana

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I hardly ever have pre booking enquiries. I use IB.

David
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rob143

I actually like when people send me inquiry and ask (smart) questions before booking. This way both of us can see if we fit to each other. But , as we have instant book it is rare, people book and then ask... and sometimes have to cancel.

Rob143
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I use Airbnb a lot as a guest and yes I do make enquiries first and then IB. The time wasters I refer to are those who book under the Pre-Approval system and cancel as soon as they have to pay money. Typically a group travelling for a weekend within the next 3 days. They trawl Airbnb seeing who will accept them and then pick from several Pre-Approvals they have 'won'. Time wasters.

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

I totally agree with you. I have been having a few problems recently with 'enquiring time wasters'.

I have instant book on my listing and I have started to become disillusioned with people who make enquiries. I spend ages answering their queries and questions (most of which are clearly detailed on my listing) only to find that they don't end up booking. Most annoying are the people who fail to respond to either confirm or decline my pre approval. I agree with the above suggestion that pre booking comms should be assessed. I get an enquiry notification and I automatically roll my eyes! My top tip for other hosts is NEVER reserve enquiry dates, I did this at the beginning and I dread to think how many bookings I missed out on.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why are you answering questions outlined in your listing?  Just answer the questions that aren't and refer them back to the listing for the rest.

I can't see the point of pre-approving a guest. If they want to book they will.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3......Helen I'm with you, I analyse every word of an enquiry or a booking request! Have they come to me in an aggresive way or, have they come to me in a passive complimentary way.

I am very thorough with my description and my photos, I provide a list of 48 standard amenities that I supply and I list those that don't fit into a standard category....and if a guest needs to ask questions beyond that, I am not interested in hosting them.....they have either not read the listing description, or they want to haggle, and enquiries from either of those camps do not make good guests.

When someone says to me, "We have seen your lovely property and are looking forward to spending a few days away from the kids"....that's it, no questions, they just want to pay and stay. They are my sort of guest Helen...I can't find that accept tab fast enough.

Cheers....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

For some reason this post went through twice and I don't want to bore contributors to total distraction so, as I can't delete the copy this edit will have to suffice.

Cheers.....Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

There are two groups who for me are 'time wasters', in the sense I do not look forward to have them as guests, and when I do they do waste a lot of my time: the 'young'  uderstandably are usually looking for a bargain and lack experience, and on the other side of the spectrum, the 'old' who usually are too cautious and fearful  and needy. Honestly, neither 'type' are a perfect fit for my place so I do try to avoid them. Nothing personal, they are just not as much fun as others.