Tiny House Shed in the backyard? Rent it out?

Answered!
Hippocrates0
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

Tiny House Shed in the backyard? Rent it out?

Hi,

I make these tiny house sheds, and have been selling a bunch, but I was thinking I might be able to partner up with some hosts to share in profits. 

I have a person in LA who just put hers up and she's been fully booked in June (comfy cozy cottage in Gardena).  I've got a Craiglist ad for my sheds "Tiny House Shed my shed your backyard, make $$$" but was wondering how I can reach more hosts to do a partnership deal and get some monthly income?

1 Best Answer
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I'd say this is a great idea if you can help figure out all the nuances with the municipal codes. I wouldn't mind paying for the unit but I think it's also a nice offer to do a profit sharing program for those who don't have the up-front money. Cheers to your venture!

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Hippocrates0
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

Please let me know if you can see this

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25280240?location=Gardena%2C%20CA%2090247%2C%20United%20States

Here are more pictures...and I have posts on CL for "tiny house shed" in the major cities of California.  Please let me know if you can't see them

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B58nhb2m3lUdTEsyenRQdHM5blU

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I would start with building code, water, sewage, electric. All need to be inspected and signed off - for instance Seattle charges $10k for an additional sewer hookup., electric done legally probably another $2k, all properties must have to code foundations (no wheels etc) Otherwise it will get shut down when the neighbours calls city and they find it has no permits...

You don't need a permit for anything under 120 sq ft, and guests can go in main house.  

Hippocrates0
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

I was able to figure out a way to show the pictures, because I'm having trouble with putting them in the post, directly.  Try this https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25280240?location=Gardena%2C%20CA%2090247%2C%20United%20States

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The reviews for this listing are really good and as you say, she has lots of bookings, but it's not the best as far as showcasing what you build- the photos are fuzzy and not well-staged, and the description is full of spelling errors. (And there's no such word as "trinkling", altho it's an interesting blend of tinkling and trickling)

Do you know how I can reach more Airbnb hosts who might be interested in buying these tiny house sheds?

Hippocrates0
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

123_1#1.jpeg123_1(3).jpeg123_1(1).jpegIMG_2774.jpgIMG_2703.jpgIMG_0319.jpg20170529_130422.jpg

I am an Airbnb host, how much are your shed houses?

Ray1693
Level 1
Goodyear, AZ

I see that this conversation didn't get anywhere.  It ended with a question in 2019 , how much are your shed houses?

Ray1693
Level 1
Goodyear, AZ

HI, Where you successfully with the tiny homes?

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I'd say this is a great idea if you can help figure out all the nuances with the municipal codes. I wouldn't mind paying for the unit but I think it's also a nice offer to do a profit sharing program for those who don't have the up-front money. Cheers to your venture!

Backyard ShedBackyard Shed

Hi guys,  just got an offer from a company  provides these kinds of backyard sheds. They promised to put this in my backyard, in return,  I had to persuade my guests to rent their sheds, they will share commission. I got asked about the charging price for my guests but still confused, at what range do you think is suitable? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The vast majority of hosts who use this forum won't live in your area and won't rent out tiny homes so we would have no clue I''m afraid.

You will need to do your own market research to ascertain what those with tiny homes in your area charge to help give you an idea on pricing @Christine3291 

Photo of the shed doesn't make it look like it's large enough to be used as sleeping accommodation, what were your thoughts on how you would make it a liveable space. You also don't appear to be a host so have you had previous experience of short term rentals?

Im intended to use this as an office place for guests, not a place to sleep in. They can rent to stay in and work, like having a separate working environment. 

Yes, I had previous experience in short term rentals. Thanks for the reply btw