Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tiny houses - clever ideas for making the most of small spaces

Small homes.jpg

Hello everyone, 

I hope you're well.

For the past few years there has been an increase of interest in tiny houses, and this trend has been specifically popular in the US. 

While a place can be small, this doesn’t specifically have to mean that it is cheaper to furnish. Things can become quite costly even in a smaller place. 

Based on my own experience, I've tried using items that are expandable such as expandable tables, shelves, but also mirrors to create the illusion of more available space. 

Whether you're decorating a small one-bedroom apartment or a picturesque little house, what tips do you have on making the most out of small spaces? 

I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

19 Replies 19
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Quincy  I love the tiny house pictured!  They use your ideas like an expandable table and a mirror on the wall.  That little house has it all!

If I were outfitting a tiny house right now I'd go to a marine supply store to outfit the kitchen.  I would also spend time looking at Airstream floor plans to get ideas for maximizing space (https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/flying-cloud/floorplans/). 

As for decor, I would group landscapes grouped on a wall to bring the outdoors in and expand the space, display items used every day like dishes and cups but group them to reduce any feeling of clutter.  I might use light colors on the walls to reflect light and make the space appear bigger, or strong colors all the way over walls and cabinets to reduce reference points that break up the space and make the space appear more cohesive.

I mean, dreaming is free!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds like you've got some great ideas! Those airstreams look really cool! Do you have a specific area in mind where you would want to start your tiny house project? @Ann72 😃

-----

@Quincy  Yes and no!  I have a little patch of woods behind my house, but I need a garage, so if I do anything, it would be a loft over a garage, not a tiny house.  Yet when I walk in those woods, I stand among the pine trees and mossy rocks and don't want to disturb the peace and quiet.  So I carry on dreaming 🙂

I'm not an RV or camper-van person, but those Airstreams look pretty cool, I agree!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Quincy I SO SO SO want a tiny house! We even thought about getting one and parking one on our Airbnb property to make it a multi space rental. But we don't have the septic capacity and I am not sure about guests with composting toilets (maybe someone can chime in with how this works).

I think my biggest tip after living in very small apartments is the "one in, one out." Be very mindful of what you bring in to the space and get rid of things as you bring in new items. Having a small space really makes you consider what you need. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yes, I think it'd be good to keep things at a very minimum 😃

I would love having a small place somewhere near the seaside @Laura2592

*Sigh* one day perhaps... 

-----

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I don't have a tiny house, but my private room listing is quite small in terms of square footage. However, it doesn't feel cramped because it has lots of windows (so many that there is hardly space for wall art- the nice views are the art) and has a high ceiling.

I also didn't try to cram too much furniture in, or try to host more than one guest at a time, as only a single bed fits in while still giving ample space to move around. The closet and desk/countertop are built-ins, so the only actual furniture are the bed, a chair, and the 2 little nesting teak bedside tables on one side of the bed.

There are no knicknacks or purely decorative items, either. Everything has a purpose. It's important to keep small spaces uncluttered.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977, I totally agree with you here!

The windows are very important as well also due to the amount of natural light entering the property.  Your home has been very strategically designed to conserve as much space as possible. I wish I had some built in closets here as it would save quite some space. 

I've always been curious, but is your home in a mountainous region? 

-----

@Quincy  No, I am at sea level in a beach town. I live on the outskirts of town in the countryside. But there are jungled hillsides surrounding the beach and downtown area and some pretty steep hills to climb to get to properties in some areas of town. 

I looked up what the difference is between a hill and a mountain, and the distinction is indistinct 🙂 It's not just based on height, but a number of factors. There is a hikimg trail nearby on Monkey Mountain, as it's called- the summit is 325 meters. But I'm sure someone from the Alps wouldn't consider it to be a mountain.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Quincy  What a cute place, is that yours?  We were very lucky the property across the road that we bought years ago had 2 wells, a septic system and an electrical connection in a little grove of trees, it is a special little spot.  Mel and I are about to deploy our newest tiny home that is actually a very large glamper, Our first was 20' our guests loved for 2 years, the new one is 32' with two slide outs and to be sure, the camper companies do a good job of putting 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bucket.   It doesnt leave us much room for creativity having used almost every square inch for one thing or another but thats ok, I have plenty to work on in the main house.   

Ours is only 3 seasons, upstate NY winter and Campers dont mix so well.  I think the tiny home concept is poised to be a real attraction and even a destination for years to come, covid will be long gone but folks will not be wishing to share spaces in the same home for a long time.    Stay well, JR  

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I wish it was my own little place somewhere in the woods or seaside @Melodie-And-John0 😉

Wow, you have to share some pics later, John!

Back in the Netherlands, it's quite popular to have a caravan. Around summer thousands of people would flock to France, Spain, and Italy for holidays with one of these. 

Credits: ROAM magazineCredits: ROAM magazine

-----

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hello Quincy

How lovely to see you! You were active when I first joined the Community and were especially helpful when I was so very lost.

Thank you for helping me to navigate around. Actually since the recent changes I'm once again somewhat floored. Is there a construction kit on how to navigate between the various message systems perchance?  I spend a long time 'en route' between them!!!

Very best wishes

Mary

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I lived in a set of Railway carriages within fields and woodland in order to be with my horses. It was idyllic but muddy!!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Quincy 
My mini house has just been sitting empty for the past 15 years. It was just a temporary place for me to live instead of renting an apartment at the time. Like a lot of people I didn't realize how much was involved in bringing electricity to it. Its off grid, but has a bathroom, propane for hot water, heat, cooking and lights, a well, septic system, and woodstove. I designed it so it could be moved intact or to take apart and reassemble. I leave it unlocked so trespassers don't break a window, they look for something to steal or stay a night or so, and close the door when they leave. I might not go out there for five years at a time. So I would say have a good location lined up. I really enjoyed this project but wish it was in a different location. As far a storage, if possible have accessory storage areas always works well. Also guest might want a convenient place to put their clothes, bag or suitcase. I have fallen off the loft area before when a ladder flew out from underneath. Mini houses are popular, but from my experience the loft might be sketchy, although one of the best architects here had a rope to get up to his bedroom. I also planned to put a two level deck on mine. The door in the loft was also for ventilation as its off grid. I also offer to tear it down but the properrty owners are like oh no you put so much work into it. I really enjoyed the nature but seems like a dream. Doubt I'll end up moving it but who knows. 
IMG_0609.jpeg

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Oh Wow! Its gorgeous. Divine. May I come out? Where are you???? xxxxxxxxx