Tip Box

Jessica4
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Tip Box

Thinking in putting a tip box in some of my apartments for my cleaner. I think this will make her feel more appreciated and it will encourage her to do an even better job. Has anyone else done this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this and whether you thinking its a good or bad idea.

19 Replies 19
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

As a guest, i would feel you should pay your cleaner from the rent and cleaning fee you already get. As a host, I had that once or twice that someone wanted to pay me 5 Euros for an extra service, when I had not asked for payment when I offered the service, or as a tip. It felt strange and I refused. One guest brought me a gift then, which felt nice and the other (tip refused at departure) left an especially nice review. I get a lot of gifts though.

Queenie0
Level 10
United States

Your cleaner may appreciate it but what will your guests think? They have paid what they consider a fair price that includes cleaning. It could easily be interpreted as 'pressure' to tip the cleaner.  If you want your cleaner to feel appreciated, perhaps you could occasionally tip her  yourself for a job done particularly well or on short notice. I don't think guests want to be in relationship with a host's cleaner.

Susan0
Level 3
Los Alamos, CA

I think it's tacky.  Appreciate her by paying her more or "tipping" her from your rents.  I would be deeply offended as a guest.

Yes, very tacky and is a sign that your cheap not to pay your 'house cleaner'.

Nuno-Y-Daniel0
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

In over 30 bookings we never got a tip, the best was 5euros for a glass that have broken! I guess as guests already pay the cleaning fee they dont' feel so compelled to leave a tip, specially if it's for the owner. You can charge more for the cleaning and in the end leave it in the tip box.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

You're the one employing the cleaner, not your guests.  You clearly believe that paying her more will make her do a better job, so pay her more.  

Tipping is an offensive relic of a bygone era.  Employers should pay employees a decent wage, not rely on a convoluted mechanism of social blackmail to avoid their obligations.

I feel that a tip box is not appropriate. I see them everywhere these days. It seems that folks have forgotten that a tip is meant for going above and beyond the expected service.

Scott2
Level 1
Austin, TX

Really a tip box? What are you running a coffee cafe? 

Your 'cleaner' is your employee, just give her a raise don't be so cheap. I am sure your cleaner

can find better places work or even that, I know a lot of bnb folks who clean their own spot. 

Jake0
Level 5
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Why would you recommendto your guests to pay your cleaning lady? You're the one paying for her, charge a cleaning fee up front or just tip her yourself to keep her motivated, it sounds like it's less about wanting to keep her motivated and that you just don't want to be the one to pay her to keep her motivated. You could always buy your cleaning lady movie tickets or a gift card to a restaurant in the area, there are LOTS of ways to keep them motivated without resorting to "lightly" pressuring your guests to pay for it after the booking process

I am the host and the cleaning lady.  I do not charge a cleaning fee as most do.  I would find that insulting as a guest.  I take it  into consideration in the price, as hotels do.

HOWEVER,   I do feel there is room to encourage tipping!   I have provided "taxi" rides, skis & boots, prime rib dinners (for 6) when all restaurants on Christmas were closed, flowers on the table,  and NONE of it has even earned me an extra dollar.   Come on..... a 14 mile taxi ride into the city and not even an offer to pay a dollar?   A prime rib dinner for 6, including wine and no tip????  I think that is tacky!

Hey Mike

Why do you offer all these additional services for free? By all means if guests ask and you want to provide these services provide them - but let guests know in advance the costs involved and they can choose whether they want dinner/hire of boots/a taxi service into town.

Items such as flowers, toileteries are down to the experience a host wants to offer.

It's up to you whether you add a cleaning fee or incorporate into your accomodation rate.

Best Helen

I know the feeling. I have even bought stuff in town for guests who asked me to pick them up for them and when I brought them back they just said thank you and closed the door. So, nowadays I make sure to politely indicate that I must be reimbursed for anything etra that I am not inclined to gift to my guest. I am from a "developing" country and even I don't expect people to buy me stuff and drive me around for free. I fully understand that almost everything in this life comes with a price tag and if I'm not paying it someone else has to. I would hate to know that I am burdening someone financially for my pleasure. 

I agree. I have done wine runs for guests who had been drinking, served lavish breakfasts when it's not on my listing to seve breakfast at all, packed lunches for hikers, allowed use of my kitchen and laundry when it's not stipulated that I do so and on and on and not an extra dollar. People expect a lot more out of an individual than they do a hotel!! Prime Rib dinner for 6 at a hotel would have been well over $150.

Marko17
Level 5
Bled, Slovenia

Wow you would be OFFENDED?? Jeezus peps, lighten up! 🙂 
From my point of view. We pay our cleaning ladies (one of them is my sister) fairly, regulary and on the end of each month (specially in high season) some extra. Your comments sounds like that we keep our maids as slaves. 🙂 
From my experiances, there are some cases where guest left a "tip" in their room from euro to few coins on the desk. (I assume this was ment for the cleaning lady). Ofcourse i left this money to the maid. And jessica is right.. each euro or two gives an extra "boost" to cleaning lady.. well not boost.. just a momentarilypositive reaction/feedback which is the point.  You can not compare a momentarily tip to an extra "tip" on paycheck. 
So I would say it depends of the approach also. Once I was staying in the Hotel and they had on the desk this small "box" (not as piggy bank, just some sort of a picture holder), with the picture of the cleaning lady saying something like "the room is cleaned by name/lastname", enjoy your stay". I took that just as more "personal" touch, more homely feel. Not as "GIVE HER MONEY NOW!" And I didn't left the tip.
So if someone would put an extra cents, euro just because off this approach i find this welcoming. And I am also thinking to put this in the rooms. 
I am also from Europe and the tip policy/mentality is little different here as for example in USA, for which it would bemore understandable that this action would made feel someone more pressured to leave a tip.