Should I ask guests for tip envelope for cleaners?

Answered!
Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

Should I ask guests for tip envelope for cleaners?

I've been contemplating this for a while.

Although I pay my cleaners well at $30.00 an hour I've seen this done before. My first thought is that it may incentivise the cleaners to be there best and go the extra mile and they will get to make extra money and my other thought is will that irritate people thinking that they are already paying a cleaning fee which I do have. Not that they would have to leave a tip obviously but I don't want to start this and then get complaints and have to take it away from my cleaners.

Love to hear if anyone has tried this.

Hollie

1 Best Answer

@Hollie6  No, no, no, absolutely not! 

I realize there is a broad range of customs in tipping culture around the world, but two things are universally consistent:

1. The person responsible for giving the tip is the one directly receiving the service, and

2. Tips are understood to not just reward good service but also supplement a subpar base wage.

In this case, (1) unless the guests are having their rooms cleaned during their stay, the person receiving the service of cleaning is you as the host. They're doing the job you outsourced to them, not serving the guests who rent your property. And (2) if you invite your guests to tip the cleaners, you're signalling to them that the cleaners are being underpaid, which doesn't sound like the case.

If you feel inclined to offer some kind of incentive, you could choose something out of pocket, for example a cash bonus for each 5-star review you receive for Cleanliness. You can also look take Airbnb's Living Wage Pledge - https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1975 - to communicate on your listing that your fees contribute to fair pay (however if the cleaners are hired through an agency you would need to verify that their wage and benefits meet the NDWA's living-wage standards). 

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Hollie6 I think it is a bad idea. If you want to, you can add a cleaning fee and pay extra to your cleaners. If someone wants to, they will leave a tip even without the envelope,on the other side, when people see it they might feel pressured to leave a tip even if they don't want to and it might be irritating especially if they feel like they pay enough for their stay there. I would never do it. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Hollie6 

I don't think anyone will tip.

From the beginning of hosting /3 y. ago we have a basket with small souvenirs made by our friend, professional graphic designer and illustrator . Our guests can take them and leave a few € in a basket. The first year our guests bought them often, next year a few, this year - zero.

In 3 years of hosting we were tipped maybe 2x. 

@Hollie6  No, no, no, absolutely not! 

I realize there is a broad range of customs in tipping culture around the world, but two things are universally consistent:

1. The person responsible for giving the tip is the one directly receiving the service, and

2. Tips are understood to not just reward good service but also supplement a subpar base wage.

In this case, (1) unless the guests are having their rooms cleaned during their stay, the person receiving the service of cleaning is you as the host. They're doing the job you outsourced to them, not serving the guests who rent your property. And (2) if you invite your guests to tip the cleaners, you're signalling to them that the cleaners are being underpaid, which doesn't sound like the case.

If you feel inclined to offer some kind of incentive, you could choose something out of pocket, for example a cash bonus for each 5-star review you receive for Cleanliness. You can also look take Airbnb's Living Wage Pledge - https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1975 - to communicate on your listing that your fees contribute to fair pay (however if the cleaners are hired through an agency you would need to verify that their wage and benefits meet the NDWA's living-wage standards). 

Great input Andrew!

I like giving an extra incentive for every 5 stars....what would you suggest for that? I am already doing the pledge for a livable wage but thank you for pointing that out! I'm curious what everyone pays there cleaners? I think I'm at the high end at $30 an hour but maybe not.

Thanks again!

Hollie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Asking your guests to tip your cleaners is not the way to incentivise them @Hollie6 

You, not your guests should be incentivising your cleaner ie bonus for every 5 star for cleanliness.

What do you suggest as a bonus for every 5 stars? I love this idea!

Thank you,

Hollie

@Hollie6  You could offer her a cash bonus, a gift certificate to somewhere you know she likes to shop, a gift certificate for a dinner out somewhere nice. I don't know that I'd do it for every 5* review- that seems a bit over-the-top, after all, she is already being employed to do a good job. Maybe every quarter, to coincide with the Superhost renewal?

Thats a great idea becasue I thought every 5 was way to much too. Especially since I have multipule property's. I already do bonus's like massage gift certificates, food, birhtday and Christmas bonus's but I like the idea of every time I make super host status to do something then! 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Hollie6: The incentive aspect should be done by you as you are the "employer" and not your guests.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Hollie6  I think it's offensive to be given an envelope or anything for tips. The guest has already paid for th accomodation and the cleaning, and tipping is not a universally accepted practice. In the US people are used to tipping service staff simply because they know the staff is seldom paid a living wage. But it's not like that in all cultures.

As Ana said, if the guests want to leave a tip, they will. They don't need, nor should be given, a "hint".

I am a cleaner and I clean several

Private rentals I take pride in these units and make a point to go the extra especially now with the covid every place that I think will or did get touched is sprayed and wiped with bleach I always  clean under and behind furniture you will not find anything under the couch or cushions in my units I also leave helpful items a new dish sponge with a bottle of dish soap soft soap dispenser wiped and refilled in every bathroom with toilet paper and paper towels a basket with other items for people to take items that they might have forgotten toothpaste ,floss ,asprin,tums,Kleenex box ,mouthwash ,deodorant disposable razor , laundry soap ,I even have a manicure kit with nail Clippers tweezers and a nail file so I feel that I go the extra  I do this to make the stay special and pleasantly memorable So I feel leaving a tip envelope gives them the option so I will be doing this in my units 

Paul1242
Level 2
Burnsville, NC

I am the host of my Airbnb and clean it myself so it is spotless and has no smell, hair, or any other issues.  For short stays, I do not charge a cleaning fee so I do leave an envelope, but for anything over 2 days yes there is a cleaning fee that is charged upfront. I hear so many complaints from guests telling me that hosts are charging exorbitant rates for cleaning and they are not cleaned thoroughly. This is very disappointing to me as a host and a lot of people are staring away from Airbnb.