Tips for Writing Response

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Tips for Writing Response

Just had a guest from VRBO and when I went to respond to their excellent  review, I noticed these helpful hints they give as a general guide. 

• Address future renters that will be reading your response, not the reviewer.
  • Show your responsiveness and your professionalism, not your temper.
  • A thoughtful, constructive response can add credibility for you and your vacation home, especially if you have other positive reviews.
  • Address any issues that you have already fixed.
  • (My addition - give hints on coming attractions if opportunity arises in the conversation)
29 Replies 29
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hello @Fred13, this is excellent, excellent advice.

One question though, why address 'any issues that you have already fixed?'  Because aren't you drawing attention to something that is no longer there?  (Am I missing something?)

As a recent example on this problem topic, 'I used to have a sugar ant problem'... ?  Too much information, no?

Great post BTW. 

Best to you in Beautiful Belize,

Kim

Future guests will want to know if youve fixed the issue. Id want to know if host upgraded internet speeds, had a pest control company tackle the ant problem or had key trade off issues fixed. whatever problems were mentioned in the review as a future guest id want to read that they were addressed or at least noticed by the host. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Totally agree Kimmy, maybe replace #4 with my 'coming attractions' if applicable. 

I really like #1..

• Address future renters that will be reading your response, not the reviewer.
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Fred13, yep, really love this one.  Definitely updating.  Thank you.

Best always,

Kim
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great tips. Thanks for sharing.

Fred and Kim, I have another point of view about the item 4.
"Address any issues that you have already fixed."
Under some circuntances, I think sometimes it is necessary to address some issue (that has been fixed) in a very positive way to make that any potential guest have confidence in the host.
For exemple: Lets suppose the guest said the aircon could be better. The host can include in the response. "I have installed a brand new airconditioner. Comeback anytime and I am sure you will see how good it is!"

If the host has improved something in return for some feedback, why not tell it?

Aye, @J-Renato0. If a guest writes something like that, one could always say: "Speaking of 'X', you will love the new (or improved) 'X'.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Like to 'fix' the title officially: "Tips for Writing a ResPonse" Now I am in balance, this was really bothering me. 😄

@Fred13 definitely great advice!

as far as fixing the title, @@Lizzie  can fix that for you, if you ask. I only know this, as I had done a very similar thing on a posting.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All updated @Fred13. 🙂 Interesting topic too.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Tahnk you , thank you.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Same advise with Hosts writing reply to Guest on their Profile??

Good question indeed. Perhaps the same somewhat in principal, for it is the same group of persons (future guests) that will be most interested and affected.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

Thanks for the post, Fred.   I always welcome advice on this topic.  One can’t have enough tools in their bag for addressing these types of problems.

Techniques for responding to less than stellar reviews are essential tools and stratagems hosts need to master when the rush of emotion may cloud your business judgement.  I’ll add Fred’s list to my toolbox.

And a good discussion by members adding their thoughts and variations to the topic,

@ Fred.  Interesting it won't let hotlink anyone. 

Great tips. Great advice, not always upper most in one's mind after a disappointing review, hope it gets pinned to the top. 

I have used the issues one to **bleep**  (ha! that bleeped word is n.i.p. not sure what is offensive about that!)  a negative in the bud. I once had a review saying the bed was too firm so I was able to write I had purchased a pillow top mattress pad for those who preferred a softer bed, and because it was in my response to a review guests were more likely to see it than if I had just added it to the description. 

I find that guests read reviews more than the description so a well-worded response can also serve to make future guests, who do not read, aware of rules, check-in times and what you do and do not offer.