Tips for hosting a private room in a shared home

Tips for hosting a private room in a shared home

Hello everyone,

We are planning to list our 3rd property but it is not a separate place set only for guests but a room in our home. This is a private room with a non attached bathroom. It can have a private entrance too ( needs some work though) 

Our other places are set specially for guests and we do not live on the premises. So this is something we have never done before and is only a thought we are toying with. To be or not to be situation. Would love to hear from all you wonderful people, dos and don't, what should be provided, what is must to be clear about, how to set expectations, house rules, a pet on the property etc. 

We do have yound kids too so that is one thing I am most concened about.

Any inputs much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mathieu and Kunj
24 Replies 24
Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

I have been hosting since October, 2017.  I have a one story home with a second bedroom and private bathroom that are for the exclusive use of my guests.  The rest of my home is shared with the guests.  When they arrive I give them a tour, show them the kitchen and where dishes and glasses are and always point out that there are beverages and fruit available at all times, and they may use the fridge. 

I do not have long term stays, most stays are one or two nights, however I did have a couple for several days and allowed them to use the kitchen, in essence they took it over so I need to make it clear in rules that use of the microwave is ok but I do not want to allow full on cooking.

I provide extra toiletries in the bathroom for them, and point out that I am usually around, and available, however I will leave them to themselves to come and go.  I try to sense whether they want me to engage with them or not.

One thing to be aware is that you do lose a sense of privacy in your own home.  That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is the tradeoff you make for hosting someone in your home.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

After 3 days, guests and fish stink.

While you are feeling out this new arrangement, limit your maximum days.

If you get someone you just don't like in your space, you may stop forever.

As for your pool, it is up to you to charge or not. Just make it upfront.

If you choose to advertise it in your listing, say "Available for a small charge"

Put this on your pictures of the pool also.

As for your bathroom situation. It is what it is. Do not apologize or deviate from your normal usage.

I would limit kitchen privileges to microwave and reefer. I get uncomfortable when people cook in my kitchen.  It works out, cuz most guests don't want to cook.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I'll chime in with my kitchen rule! I offer guests a designated shelf in the refigerator and a designated guest cabinet and the coffee pot is right next to it. They are clearly labeled and I point this out when they check in. 

In my rules, I list that guests are welcome to cook a meal, but it must be arranged with me in advance since we share a space and I wouldn't want us to stumble over each other at dinnertime. I'm still a new host, but I've never had a guest request to use the kitchen. I actually prefer it that way, but I still wanted guests to have the option, and this way they can really only use the kitchen with my "supervision", which makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

Rosemary178
Level 1
Gosford, Australia

Hi, We're in the process of an Airbnb though wonder how do you manage guests if you only have a main entrance to your home. 

@Rosemary178 I am not sure I understand your question, however I only have one guest at a time and I am always home when they are here.  If they are here for several days I will give them a key, and they come and go as they please.

Thank you, Howard. You answered my question very well.

I do feel uneasy about giving guests a key to our home.  

Tristana0
Level 2
Austin, TX

I just wanted to offer a HUGE thank you to all of the hosts who responded here. I am a single woman considering renting out my room in my condo while I'm in between situations for a couple months and was getting so anxious about doing it that I almost didn't until I read all of your responses. Now I think I may give it a try! Thank you thank you!

@Tristana0  Go for it!

I'm a single woman and I've been renting out my spare room a little over a year now. I get the question all the time about safety, but I've never felt uncomfortable with guests in my home. I get a pretty good feel for guests based on their communication, and, of course, reviews. I did put a key lock on my bedroom door just for added safety and peace of mind, and I also have motion sensor cameras in "private" areas in my home.

Eulenda0
Level 2
Pretoria, South Africa

Wow, yes thanks to all hosts for responding. Also trying to make money to pay for my tuition. Also have an extra room but shared bathroom. I hope it goes well for us. 

Eulenda0
Level 2
Pretoria, South Africa

Just for clarification Current listing um helping my mom run bnb. Shared listing will be my own apartment.