Tips for hosting for business professionals

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips for hosting for business professionals

Liv_0-1593505079773.jpeg

Hey everyone,

As some parts of the world lessen the lockdown measures, I've been hearing from hosts that have edited their listing to be more “working from home” friendly. Apart from the Enhanced Cleaning protocol, there are a few things mentioned that can make a staycation more appealing from a guest's perspective. Here’s some I have seen reference here on the CC:

• Strong internet connection is a must. Also, some hosts recommend you provide an ethernet cable too, in order to enhance the reliability of your internet connection.
  • If possible, access to an outside area where they can unwind or maybe even have a more interesting view for those long Zoom conferences
  • Edit your listing title and description - if you want to encourage guests from your country or district, changing your listing description to something that specifically showcases those stay at home qualities.
  •  Shuffle or change your hero image - by hero image we mean the first pick of the bunch! If you do have an area that could look like a great study or office area, move it to the front of the docket. 

This is by no means an exhaustive list and there are bound to be tons of other small changes hosts can apply to lure those more local professional guests that just fancy a change of scenery while they work from home. 

Have you hosted a non-essential worker recently? What did you do to appeal to those laptop wielding guests?

Thanks,

Liv

8 Replies 8
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liv,

You've listed some great suggestions.  Providing an ethernet cable to guests will be a limited offering, because most homes do not have multiple ethernet ports, and the location of the rental space may not be close to router.  This isn't year 2000 before wifi, and people were dragging 100ft/30.5m cables through their homes as the solution for portable internet.  I'd recommend that hosts invest in a home mesh system with a dedicated satellite in the rental space. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks, @Debra300

That is a really good point and a great tip 😊

@Debra300  Home mesh network is a great idea.  We have the router in our part of the house and guests have never had a problem w/wifi, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to boost the signal w/a mesh system, since our wifi is a little dodgy for ourselves in the basement.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116.

We currently are using Netgear's Orbi mesh system that was purchased in 2018 in our house, and the signal is very strong in the house and basement which is made of drywall and wood frame.  I am thinking about getting an Amazon eero system, because the Orbi is just okay at our three story guesthouse.

feel you are missing out on guests that have the most cash to spend during the business week if you do not have a wired ethernet option.

please see other postings on this matter . . . businesses are requiring folks who work from home/AirBnB to be wired in, and nothing less...

think it should be a filter also: "wired ethernet"

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv 

Yes, I think decent WiFi is the most important aspect, but I have had far more guests ask me recently if there is a desk in the room. Well, there is a desk in every guest room and it's clearly listed, but we all know people don't always read anything.

The outdoor space thing has been much less of an issue. I have found that guests who are working from home rarely have the time to utilise the outdoor space and I haven't noticed any having Zoom or similar meetings out there. The only ones that use it are the smokers on their **bleep** breaks!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

PS, sorry that word got bleeped because I guess it has a different meaning in American English than British English. Basically, what I meant to say is 'cigarette break'.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Have you tried ethernet connections accessed from the home electricity circuit? It requires plug in ports (subject to suitable lengths of ethernet cable to connect with end devices) but the flexibilty is obtained from being able to use any nearby socket outlet. Popular now with those averse to wi-fi signal.