Tips for long-term hosting

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips for long-term hosting

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 09.36.59

Hello Everyone,

A few months ago our fellow community member Theresa (Florian and Theresa), who hosts in Germany, created a fantastic guide in the German Community Center sharing her 10 top tips for making long-term hosting successful.

Her tips range from platform settings to house rules and include advice around cleaning, plus her best scenario for long-term bookings. To quote Teresa’s words ‘You will get on so well with your guests, there won't be any closed doors in your accommodation’. 🙂

A blog article including all of Theresa's tips can be read here: Long-term stays

In the meantime, what about you? Do you offer long-term hosting? Do you prepare yourself any differently to when you host short-term guests and have you any other tips?

I can't wait to hear your tips and experiences.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

122 Replies 122

When I wrote foolproof, I had 2 things in mind: Aa guest for a few nights will probably not use a thing he does not understand. A longterm guest will use it and force it to serve as he/she thinks how it should work. 

In that sense, I have rules for not reprogramming anything with buttons on it and place the router at unreachable hights, removing the ladder. I still dream of getting a transparent case for the front of the hifi set with 3 holes: on/off, loudness and source. 

The more dangerous habit is neglect. In my experience, in a small space 3 weeks of vapour ous showers, not opening a window, creates an ambiance to throw you back out, when you open the door at home coming. 6 weeks create damage, especially if people let flakes of water stand on wood. I varnished the surfaces in danger, although I'd prefer them oiled, but even that is not always enough. 

That's a far from exhaustive list 😉

@Helga0.  My bathroom is interior with no window. There is a squeege on the shower wall and it is almost my only house rule to use it and leave the light on and the bathroom door open until the room is dry.

I emphasize this when guests arrive.....mildew doesnt grow in light, so all of this is important.

so far all guests, short or long term have respected this.

just ask them to be aware

@Helga0. My bathroom is interior with no window. There is a squeege on the shower wall and it is almost my only house rule to use it and leave the light on and the bathroom door open until the room is dry.
I emphasize this when guests arrive.....mildew doesnt grow in light, so all of this is important.
so far all guests, short or long term have respected this.

just ask them to be aware

My long term guests, (I define as 2 weeks or longer), have all been fabulous.  Without exception they've been delightful, fun, conversational, and a way to bring the world to me.  But I've also turned away a long term guest, (1 month).  This individual traveled worldwide and used Airbnb extensively.  I was struck by the fact that the majority of his reviews, (approx 30), were one sentence, lukewarm reviews.  I suspect that many hosts were just relieved to see him leave and, didn't want to risk a bad review themselves.  This potential guest also was a determined, I mean 'VERY' determined, negotiator.  He practically DEMANDED a discount nearly 55% below the original asking price, because he intended to stay 34 nights.  That in itself, was extremely off-putting.

My bottom line; For long term guests read their reviews carefully! A guest with no reviews or just so -so reviews, may be a perfectly acceptible risk for a weekend, even a week.  Not for an extended stay.  I can't imagine anyone "instant booking" a long term guest.  Sorry Airbnb.

I agree with you on the reviews. Airbnb has a system in place so hosts can leave an honest review without fear of the guest retaliating. Your guest can not see your review until they either write their review of you and submit or the 14 day period for posting a review runs out and in that case your review of them now goes public, but they no longer can review you. I've had so few guests to give negative reviews of, but I also give an honest review. Sometimes the problem is just a poor match and I will say that, other times the guest broke important house rules which says lack of respect and if they break my house rules they will break yours. I think it is important in reviews to be specific about the problem so other hosts can decide if that would be a problem for them.

I also have found that those hard-core negotiating types are not good fits for me and usually end up being the most demanding guests... then you are resentful because they got this low-ball rate from you but want even more services and perks than you give to your top dollar guest.

Hello Everyone

I have been an airbnb host for 2 years now and we are a 5 star rating. We have a beautiful Country Inn. Totally renovated and redecroated and spotless. Our Guests love it. Buut I find that many guests are confused by the way people promote their rentals. Many say full house but yet they are sharing with the owner and guests write in reviews they didn't realize this. But with us we do not live with the Guests it is a totally separate house , we live next door. Does anyone else notice this. People comment on our price being too high but we are not renting a bedroom in our homewe are renting a complete house that sleeps 10. They are compnaring us to people renting a room in their house because it says in peoples listing that they get the whole home.

We supply beautiful towels, bedding and linens. We give baskets  in each room with anything that you may have forgotten toothbrushes, femine products, hand lotion, body lotion, lip gloss, razors, hand soap, hair ties etc. We supply body wash in bubble bath and epsom salts in the bathroom. We have a first aid kit. We supply coffee, teas, hot chocolate, popcorn and all ingredients for camp fire smores. We have slippers when you come in the door and you are welcomed with a homemade bottle of our wine and homemade scones. We have a large yard and beautiful gardens, we supply bikes and winter we have snowshoes. Not sure what else we can do to tell people we are a rare find in the country and you get what you pay for a full house. 

I get that same issue; my Carriage House is totally seperate and they gat the whole space, but they turn around and compare my price with a room in a home with the host and even if the host gives them 'whole-house-access' unless the host leaves, they are sharing the space and in my book the privacy is priceless.

We too provide those extra touches and if people question our rates compared to other options in our area also operating as vacation rentals I tell them it is based on what our previous guests have informed us of what they expect or are delighted by unexpectedly from staying with us. I have a 40 year hotel background, now retired, but incorporate much of my previous hotel experience into our concept as vacation rentals. If in the first conversations from the guest inquiring about your vacation rental and price becomes an issue and they start telling you that you are just above their budget and could anything be readjusted rate wise? I say, no. I inform them that we have a very high demand for reservations and our rates are priced accordingly. Two type of people shop for vacation rentals just as two types shop for hotel rooms. 1. Those who are cheap and thrifty. 2. Those who seek out the experience of travel and don't question the cost. I want or prefer the 2's as my guests. They are more respectful and won't nag or whine about things. The 1's have a tendency to play games with you and we call those "players" in the hospitality market. They are the ones that always want something free and trust me when I tell you this...... You cannot give away enough FREE to these people. They will want more and more from you and still complain. 

Just as your place has standards which you should consider as your BRAND. Stand behind what you offer and sell. I know my places I offer are above and beyond most in my area. My guest's want for nothing and the experience I deliver is top rated. Just like their are budget hotels/motels there are high end hotels such as Westin, Four Season's and Ritz. I place myself in that class and its those type of guests I want. I have learned to listen to what guest ask me in the beginning to find out fast if they are budget hotel/motel people or high end hotel people. I have no trouble getting bookings and doing this and it also brings back lots of return guests which i love!!!! 

I share your pain. Some people don't understand you're not renting a crummy bed and mattress, with a beat up dresser, in a basement room without windows and, a backdoor entrance. Others are more discrerning. Your place sounds lovely. Wish you success. 

Shucks, i want to come stay at your place.  Sounds beautiful.

We had guests from Germany for a month stay in our Country Inn, they rented the whole place, we live next door. They ahd three very small children.  They were absolutely wonderful. They conserved electricity by not using dishwasher and clothes dryer. they used the clothes line. This was their own doing. They kept the pplace spotless and left it as clean or cleaner then when they arrived. We shared cooking with each other. We cried when they left and still keep in touch. A wonderful long term expereince.

Ontario Canada

People complain about the price, not because they confound the offer, but mostly because it's at the limit of their budget. Not much you can do about that. At least they don't complain in your public reviews. 

As I said to a friend a few days ago: "If 2 complain in a row, ghat it's too expensive, it's time to raise the price. "

Time to change the public interested in the offer. (If there is no objective discrepancy between price and offer, of course)

@Helga0

So true!  I have an estate jewelry store, (A. J. Martin)  and recently a woman wrote offering $5,200 for an $8,100 antique diamond ring. I declined, of course. Two days later, she bought it full price.  This was all online so I never met her.

35 years in that business have taught me to not cede an inch I dont wish to.

@Sylvia-and-Rick0 Thanks for sharing that, we need to see more of the good side of hosting and it's my guess for every bad guest there are probably 100 good ones which we never get to hear about. Fellow contributor Diane started a thread about positive experiences and I wish that had been a bit better utilised.

I love to hear of nice experiences, it makes me feel a lot better and more comfortable with what I do. Thanks guys!

Cheers.....Rob