Tips on Airbnb Self-Managing More Efficiently

Tips on Airbnb Self-Managing More Efficiently

Hi Everyone,

I currently manage my own Airbnb units but am about to double my number of units from 3 to 6 within the next month. I work full time in the military and am trying to spend less time hands on with running errands and handling issues when they come up - that is what I want to outsource. For 3 units it has been manageable but I expect it will get worse when we have twice the number of units. I am thinking about hiring property management so they handle it all but also want to find a way to maximize my income by handling it myself but with the systems in place to make it less demanding on my time. 

How have you outsourced all the random tasks?
What systems do you have in place to spend less time answering guest questions/requests?

How have you detached yourself from running all of the errands that come up?

Any tips on time management, task management, and operating more efficiently are greatly appreciated!

1 Reply 1
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Blake166 According to some posts here, definitely don't turn your keys over to TurnKey if you do hire a property management company.  Search the forum and you'll see why.

You need a team.  A great housekeeper can handle a lot more than cleaning.  She can call to have things repaired, pick up cleaning supplies, all sorts of things.  If you can find someone who has hotel or inn experience that would be best.  Either you or she can hire a back-up cleaner for days when all the units need to be turned over at once.  The other members of your team are all the service people.  Having some history with them helps, so you know how reliable they are.

I don't get too many questions from guests and I put it down to my house manual.  It isn't longer than two pages but it's succinct and comprehensive.  Work your rules into your house manual.  Guests are more likely to read it than the actual rules because they want to know where the coffeemaker is and how to turn the TV on.

You'll still have to devote a certain amount of time each day to the Airbnbs, unless you hire a property manager, but it might be do-able if your day job has steady hours and not a lot of big surprises.