Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips on creating your House Rules?

House Rules

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great week.

I often see discussions here in the Community Center where suggestions or tips on the house rules have been given and it is always well received. This is why I thought it would be great to start a discussion on this. 🙂 

It would be great to hear tips on things you would recommend including (especially for a new host who is about to create theirs), also ways to write the 'rules' and perhaps even whether less is more in terms of points.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

134 Replies 134
Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I have only hosted since January 2017. My rules are ever evolving. 

I started by reading the forum topics and picking what seemed to fit my listing. I started with:

Not suitable for children (2-12 years)
Not suitable for infants (under 2 years)
Not suitable for pets
No smoking
No parties or events
I added no smoking/vaping, no guests, and quiet hours after reading posts where these were issues. I listed that I have pets, and have known food allergens in the house so people would know and couldn't demand a refund for not being told. I added that the house is not handicap accessible so anyone needing accomodations would know not to book.

Most recently I've had to add:

- Etiquette in shared areas: Fully clothed (not half naked, in underwear, bath towels).

Those are a direct result of guests action.
---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Robin129

I remember you telling the story about why you have added the latest ruling to your set (about being fully-clothed).... and I think it was Andrea who made the joke about hosting 'Captain Underpants'!

Still makes me laugh today.

Best Wishes.

Poor Captian Underpants. LOL He has become one of my prime examples of why I send a rules reminder email to the guests. So far he has been the most ... unusual guest I've had.  There are commercials that will cause my family members to text me, laughing hysterically when their memory is triggered. LOL There is one for a home loan company where the puppet and man sit on the couch i underwear, and there is a kids movie. It has been a very interesting 6 months of hosting. 🙂   

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Before getting started, it helps to understand that the purpose of house rules is two fold:
a.) to make the guest aware of specific points to guarantee a smooth visit without problems.
b.) to have things in writing so that in case problems develop, you have the right to cancel the stay and Airbnb will back you up in that.
In my opinion, to be effective,  rules should be very clear, easy to read, and not too long. Anything that is a wish, but not essential, perhaps just post some helpful notes in your place or mention them in person when checking in guests. To have effective rules:
1.) make good use of the ones Airbnb offers already, such as no pets, no children, no smoking, no parties.
2.) don't repeat these rules again in your own wording, it just detracts from what you want to get across.
3.)  don't say "please" in whatever you add,  could be misunderstood as an invitation but not as a rule you are serious about.
4.) don't add things you cannot enforce, like extra security deposits or charges for  something broken.
5.) do add some obvious rules which seem necessary to avoid problems:
a.) only registered guests are allowed on the property.
b.) registered guest must have a clear profile picture.
c.) clearly specify your check in times, perhaps require guest to text you the ETA on the day of arrival.
d.) Clarify the situation with children: Airbnb only says in their offered house rule "may not be suitable."
e.) add specific rules for your situation and listing.
Overall, rules are only as good as you are willing to enforce them. in case you notice an infraction, address it right away, directly to the guest: like in case of extra people there, make up your mind if you are willing to tolerate it, then face the guest and in his/her presence change the reservation to include the extra people (often extra $$ to collect), or if you don't want to tolerate it, then ask them to leave = you are boss at your property.

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

I am very proud of my house rules and I encourage other hosts to steal from them.  Many of them have been developed over time, some have been borrowed from other awesome hosts and some have been created to counteract some of Airbnb's odd workings.  As someone mentioned earlier, they are there to also discourage those who cannot follow rules to look elsewhere.  

Here are my 12 house rules:

Please read and agree to the house rules before booking the suite:

• No smoking or drugs.
  • No pets.
  • Quiet time after 11 pm.
  • Only registered guests are allowed in the suite.
  • If a guest brings more people than were booked, the reservation will be cancelled with no refund.
  • All children are considered guests and must be included in the occupancy count. This listing is not suitable for infants (under 2 years). If you do reserve with an infant, you will be required to cancel your reservation and you will only be refunded as per the cancellation policy.
  • Let your host know if anything can be done to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable!
  • To prevent damage to bedding and towels, please do not do laundry that belongs to the suite. We will gladly provide replacement bedding and towels upon request.
  • If you break or damage something, please let us know and arrange for its replacement or repair.
  • Please, no outdoor shoes beyond entry door to suite.
  • Leave the suite tidy with the dishes clean and put away. It should be left the way you found it.
  • Please close and lock all windows and doors when you leave the suite.

Here is the rationale for some of our house rules:

Many people have this house rule and if they do not, they should.  This helps for those who book for two and then have 5 others come during the day using up your utilities/supplies and often causing more cleaning to be done.

• Only registered guests are allowed in the suite.

This rule has been put in place for our protection as we have had someone book for 4 people and then snuck in 3 extra people and it was a nightmare dealing with the guest and Airbnb.  We have not had any other issues since putting this rule in place.

• If a guest brings more people than were booked, the reservation will be cancelled with no refund.

This rule has been added now that Airbnb does not charge for infants/toddlers.  Many people do not know that even if you make it that your listing is not suitable for infants that guests can still book with infants and not be charged for it.  It is my belief that an infant makes just as much of a mess as many adults and they still consume things in the listing.  I do allow infants/toddlers but it must be discussed first and I do charge for them.  Recently I allowed an infant/toddler and they had a daughter the same age as my daughter so they had a playdate in the listing.  I went down to help with something and the toddler had a banana peel smooshed into the carpet and another piece of banana sitting on the leather couch.  

• All children are considered guests and must be included in the occupancy count. This listing is not suitable for infants (under 2 years). If you do reserve with an infant, you will be required to cancel your reservation and you will only be refunded as per the cancellation policy.

With our listing, we allowed guests to use our washer and dryer.  We have twice had guests ruin bedding/towels by washing it themselves and either changing the color of it or locking in a stain.  

• To prevent damage to bedding and towels, please do not do laundry that belongs to the suite. We will gladly provide replacement bedding and towels upon request.

Many hosts think this next rule is a given but many guests think they can just leave their garbage everywhere and anywhere and not do their dishes.  The cleaning fee is really for the deep cleaning areas like the bathrooms, floors, and kitchen area but it should be left tidy.

• Leave the suite tidy with the dishes clean and put away. It should be left the way you found it.

This one is also a rule that most people you would think would just do anyway but we seem to have huge issues with people not locking the door when they go out.  I am not as much annoyed when they leave the windows open as it does provide fresh air but it does concern me as most people can figure out where your listing is if they really wanted to.  

• Please close and lock all windows and doors when you leave the suite.

I know I have 12 rules and I am fine with that.  Are there any rules that you would add that I have missed or any that you think you may start using in your listing?

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

This was very helpful!

I have added in my own little 'pet peeves' so to speak, and you are welcome to read my rules if you so choose and comment.

But something about your simple direct approach worked well for me.

And thanks!

We are still editing but very much more pleased with the expression of our needs vis-a-vis our rules, etc.

The whole process of reading and observing how other people are working with Airbnb also helped me to come up with a new profile description that was satisfying to both myself and my partner and relates very much to where we are at currently.

Our recent Airbnb experiences helped us to see how important it is to 'level'.

Cheers!

Frances

@David-And-Frances0   Just read your last post....curious to know whom are you referring to when you say.." something about your simple direct approach worked well for me."  ???

Love reading your posts....so positive and forward thinking about how to best handle your Airbnb.  Excellent.  

edited this post to say...."Oh yeah, I remember you are the host in Canada who gave me credit in his listing with my name with regards to your house rules.  (smiling).  Thanks.

I will read your house rules now.  (again) hahaha 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, @Momi0!

Dave and Deb wrote in about their rules, and it sliced through nicely for me and gave me further impetus to chip away at my own set of rules as well as streamline their expression.

It was so great to finally show up in community here.

I knew that the sudden rash of millenials were providing me with a super boost towards cleaning up my act!  They inspired me to do some research, and it was far more rewarding than I had imagined it would be.

Your work, Momi, and the work of many others has helped me to dig down deep within myself and express my needs.

I have been at this rules and expectations business a long time (retired teacher), and believe me, it has never made more sense to me than it does now!

Yes, you could say I am a late bloomer!

(Just off my latest revision of my rules... amazing how helpful to delete a few phrases!  Great process to go through, with myself, and my partner...)

Amazingly satisfying to come up with some decent descriptions of who we are and where we are coming from...

Many blessings all...

Frances

@Dave-and-Deb0

Oops.

Sorry.

Just messaged you in reply to your post about rules.

A message of appreciation and more.

Forgot to include your name in order to better reach you.

Thanks @David-And-Frances0!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0 

Couple things I have slightly different

No smoking anywhere on the property inside or out (some people assume ok outside)

Absolutely no drugs and to be brought onto the property (someone left there pot out and stank up the place even though not smoking)

Quiet time 10 PM - 8 AM (again...had someone on speakerphone in garden so loud 6 AM)

Only Registered guests allowed anywhere on the property (friends laying by the pool and bar-b-q!)

Tran3
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone!

I also have conflicting thoughts when it comes to rules. I use ABB a lot when I travel, put it this way: the number of days I am an ABB guest is larger than the number of days I am hosting.  So I am playing devil advocate here as I see it from two sides:

I might be an exception but I dislike when hosts have a long list of rules. It makes me feel as if I were being talked down like a kid who does not have common sense. I get immediately stressed even before I arrive at the ABB, not sure whether the hosts will keep my deposit if I ever forget to turn off lights or tie up the garbage bags, etc. So on the day of departure I usually get up super early to tidy up the ABB, and that is when I miss my hotel stay with turndown service 🙂

So now when I host, I think it's reasonable to create rules such as no parties, no smoking, no pets, no shoes inside the house, no registered guest, some allergy-related issues, but anything beyond that is overkilled. Can you share stories when a preset rule helped you when problem arose? And I meant the detailed rules, not the common rules listed earlier. Did ABB put the responsibility on you for not having extensive rules in the first place? Again, I am prety new to hosting and thanks goodness I have not had any problem yet...

Thanks for reading

Tran

@Tran3 ,I'm also at home in both  camps, being a host as well as guest. I cannot answer your specific question about "Can you share stories when a preset rule helped you when problem arose?", simply because I never had a major problem with any of my guests. I attribute that to having a very clear listing, clear house rules, exchanging a few messages with my guests before arrival, as well as personally checking in every guest : all pre-emptive measures, and it works very well for me.

Like you, I believe in clear rules, but not too many. Some of the pointers, like where to leave towels, what to do with laundry, etc. I don't put that into my house rules but  communicate that in person when guiding guests through the apartment and/or leaving up friendly notes about  it, thinking that guests want to relax, not go back online to check my house rules point by point before leaving, but those are things I wouldn't get upset about if not followed, they are just curtesy requests, while the ones that really matter, absolutely belong into the house rules. 

Just want to clarify one thing, as you say that you will charge $100 for a lost key and that it will come out of the security deposit: As hosts we don't have  direct access to the security deposit, Airbnb does, so when there is an issue, the host cannot just decide to charge it to the security deposit, it has to go through Airbnb and ultimately they, not us hosts, will make the decision on what  comes out of the security deposit.

Overall, I think the feeling of how stressful hosting can be is getting highlighted here in the forums, as mostly we have posts from hosts who are dealing with problems and then get frustrated when they can't easily reach Airbnb.  I never considered hosting stressful before reading all the posts here  in the forums!

so I prefer going back to that somewhat innocent stage where I consider hosting fun, do my best as a host and expect all to go smoothly. Prerequisite is to understand Airbnb rules, know how it all works, and have a well thought out listing - sure works for me!  And looking at your listing, I think it works the same way for you.  Your reviews are great, also accenting your personal involvement in your hosting - no doubt you'll be superhost in a few weeks!

Thank you Annette for being so thorough in your assessment and advice, I really appreciate you putting in the time...

I will revise the rules/notes to my guests (re: fob replacement fee). This is why I love going to the community forum to learn from other hosts. 

Your place is so gorgeous, I hope one day I could visit

Have a great day!

Tran

actually, @Tran3 , I believe that putting the fee for the replacement key in to your house rules is entirely reasonable, as it warns guests about what you intend to ask for. Some hosts just put all sorts of fees into their house rules, all really not enforcable, but yours about the  key, I bet Airbnb would back you up on it. Maybe just phrase it a bit differently? You just don't have the power to collect it, Airbnb does, that was the main point.

Happy hosting to you, great place you  got, and if ever I will be in Toronto, I will show up at your door steps  🙂

ps : thanks so much for your generous compliments about my place, much appreciated!