Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips on creating your House Rules?

House Rules

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great week.

I often see discussions here in the Community Center where suggestions or tips on the house rules have been given and it is always well received. This is why I thought it would be great to start a discussion on this. 🙂 

It would be great to hear tips on things you would recommend including (especially for a new host who is about to create theirs), also ways to write the 'rules' and perhaps even whether less is more in terms of points.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

134 Replies 134

Yes, that is true. As a host we can make requests.

And it is possible to request a photo as well as any other information we need to feel at ease in accepting  requests.

Diana126
Level 2
Banstead, United Kingdom

The photos are often so poor not possible to see the face. Airbnb needs to keep hosts safe by demanding only clear quality photos will be allowed.

I have thourghly enjoyed being an Airbnb host for a couple of years now and so I have the opportunity to experience a learing curve when it comes to my house rules and weeding out difficult guests.  I have incorporated a question in the middle of my written house rules in all UPPER CASE in which I ask the question of "WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE MUSICIAN?"  with the disclaimer that there is no right or wrong answer.  What this does is demonstrate to me and Airbnb that they have read the house rules or that they have declined to do so for whatever reason. Answering the question ensures that they are in compliance not only with my House Rules but also with Airbnb's Terms of Service. Over time it has simplified the process of helping me to decide what kind of guest the prospective enquirer is going to be: For example; people who decide that they can't be bothered to take the time to read the house rules are without exception guests who are going to be high maintenance, or are already going to ignore the house rules such as the number of guests, smokers, plans to have a party, extra pets, and numerous children are the most frequent abusers. While I may loose some bookings in the process it is well worth not having to deal with problematic guests. For those rare exceptions in which a guest has answered and still breaks the house rules I automatically have made live simpler for me and Airbnb.  I also do not ever correspond off the Airbnb platform or accept any monetary funds, much less break my own house rules. I also do not accept requests from potential guests who's first exchange is to ask for a discount! That's a big red flag!

I hope this helps as I have found it to be a life saver.  My Happy Trails listing is a full historic home with authentic Arizona vintage and antiques, as well as a fully equiped kitchen and washer and dryer.  So naturally I want to attract guests that will respect my home in exchange for a more than reasonable price  in a very comfortable, private and uniquely authentic home.

Thanks to Airbnb they have brought the world to my doorstep as well as some of the most intersting people I could hope to meet. Happy hosting everyone.

Sincerely,

Eloise at Happy Trails in Winslow, Arizona.

I'm with you, @Bruce43.

You don't want to add so many rules that guests think they're at Mom's house.

@Bruce43  That's amusing to me......and I will tell you why.  My very close friend, who has been hosting now for almost 9 months, started her listing with only 3 rules. After hosting 97 separate bookings, (which means about 150 people), she has now added 5 more rules.....making the total 8.  Shortly after revising her House Rules and adding new ones, she called to apologize to me because she was advised by me to add certain rules, but didn't. She told me from the beginning there was no way she would be adding more rules....(yes I laughed at that statement), but eventually she learned that not everyone has the common sense to turn off the Lights, TV and AC in the apartment before they leave to go sightseeing all day.....and then she got her electrictiy bill. As of June 2, she has now added one more rule.....making the total 9. I've been hosting for 2 years, taken care of about 175 ppl, 70 reviews, and I have 12 rules for the Private Room in our family home that we share with our guests. I started with 4 on July 2015.  hahahahahaha. 

Lets see what you do when one of your guests shows up with a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS DISEASE and doesn't tell you about it for  24 hours!  Not only did I take my guests to the Emergency room.....but my entire family and 3 pets had to go too.  Guess what rule was added when I got home?  Something to think about.  (btw, my inconsiderate guests was quarantined in Honolulu for 12 days)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Us, too! We started with a few general house rules and now have a list and some very specific ones! We are way pickier about who we host, too. I've had to do a rash of declines lately because they don't read the pre-booking message or the house rules before requesting. I've been pulling my hair out this last week and finally just started adding on a deposit and cleaning fees hoping that will make them read the fine print.

@Todd-and-Reese0  Oh I do a lot more then that.....LOL.  And my way is absolutely working.  Check out my listing and House Rules, and you will see why.  🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Amazing! I read them all. Loved the idea of the quote in the request. Great way to sort out those who don't read the rules. 

@Todd-and-Reese0   Hey Reese, I just saw this post but wasn't sure if it was meant for me until I actually read what you wrote.  You forgot to do this in your reply  -------->  @Momi0  - definitely needed that.  lol.  But yes, once I realized you were writing about my required movie quote, I was pretty sure it was a message posted for me, but don't forget to tag whomever you want the message for or it won't get delivered to my email inbox.

And yes, my required movie quote has helped me 100%!  Even if they forget to write it in their booking message the first time, I always allow for a second chance!  But I always hold my breath that they will apologize for that error and 94% do.  And the remaining 6% that dont' fix their booking message error, nor offer an apology, find themselves missing out on the best Hawaiian French Toast in Hawai'i   - LOL  - recently had a young LAWYER tell me (lawyer) that she did INDEED read my house rules.....(she hadn't, and 4 messages later, after back and forth, she humbly apologized for "lying!"  I kept her Instant Booking because after talking to her on the phone, she admitted she was gonna read my House Rules during her flight to Hawaii and felt bad that she was caught.....by another lawyer....I jokingly told her, "I think you meant a more seasoned lawyer."  She laughed....and I am happy to say I look forward to meeting her and boyfriend. 

So no, I do NOT host everyone who contacts my listing and my family is better for it.  🙂

There are many hosts who have now changed their House Rules based on what they saw in my listing....some just make it a special word, like my good friend @Roz (Superhost in New Zealand) who requires that her potential guests put the word "Winnabaga" in a sentence which makes me laugh every time she shows me their booking messages.  Or some put a question in their House Rules, like...."who's your favorite band?'   - I always say....."make it your own."

Thank you for the nice compliment!  

Aloha, Momi

@Todd-and-Reese0   Thanks Reese.  Quite a few hosts have started to implement their own movie quote, or some just ask the guest to use a certain "word" in their booking message like my good friend in NZ who is also a Superhost,  or ask them to share what their fav band is in their booking message per their own House Rules.  Whatever works for a host.  We have even had a few guests watch the Willy Wonka movie with us after check in and we all laugh about how they missed it in my House Rules when they first contacted me to book....but I am always willing to give everyone a second chance....which turns out have been some of my BEST GUESTS EVER who received that 2nd chance.  But they left my place knowing they should always read what a host writes.  :))

Are you going to do something like that now too??   Just curious.  

Aloha, Momi

Hi momi I am new to conversation and to hosting. Had my first guest this weekend. I would love to please your list . And I love all of your suggestions I’ve read so far. Thanks Alisa slc, Utah 

The problem is that they don't read the rules, and even if they do they forget them by the time they arrive to your place!

@Sophie58

I am planning to have a print out ready by tomorrow in time for our next guests!

They won't have seen our write up the way it is now that it's revamped but they will sure have a better idea of what's on our minds.

I'm just going to preview and then cut and paste (literally) and photocopy.

Cheers, Frances

Heather212
Level 2
Ithaca, NY

Big house rule: no candles. None. 

We provide the flameless, battery-operated candles, but open flames and wax are a no-no for us.

Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

If someone in the house is severely allergic to pets and it would be detrimental to host service animals - put in the house rules that you provide a dander free accommodation.  This way you cannot be forced to host any service or comfort animals / companions.

It is wise to have 'No business involving the public permitted".  No unauthorised guests and external security cameras are in use.

Lisa