Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips on creating your House Rules?

House Rules

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great week.

I often see discussions here in the Community Center where suggestions or tips on the house rules have been given and it is always well received. This is why I thought it would be great to start a discussion on this. 🙂 

It would be great to hear tips on things you would recommend including (especially for a new host who is about to create theirs), also ways to write the 'rules' and perhaps even whether less is more in terms of points.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

134 Replies 134
Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

I'm a host in NY. Recently I posted my House Manual listing the Do's and Don't Rules on first page followed with a listing in alpha of where to find stuff, i. e.,  First Aid kit-drawer on left of sink.  In the back I list also our personal info - name, address, phone numbers. Also, our local police and emergency numbers. In case of an emergency, this info is important. Under stress, people cannot remember addresses, etc. It should also be posted in a visible spot.  

My question... Can anyone on line see this personal info in my House Manual or is it blocked out?  It is meant for guests only. Upon reviewing my manual on line, it is all visible. Should I edit out this personal info? I have a printed copy of the manual in the apartment  for guests. 

@Welcome0   Per the Airbnb website under hosting terms, ONLY the confirmed booked guests will receive your House Manual. Therefore, no one can see anything within your House Manual unless you added that same information to the listing information. 

Great idea on what you have included in your House Manual. I have that same information on my Safety Card posted in their room easy to see. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thank you Momi! If I was a guest, I would like to know what the rules were before I opted to rent. 

Aija

@Welcome0  Aija You asked about the House Manual..not your House Rules. Two different things.  Perhaps you are confused with your questions. But I was addressing your question could others see your HOUSE MANUAL.....and the answer is still the same, No they can't.  However everyone can see your House Rules.  

For future replies, try to get in the habit of using this symbol to ensure the right person gets your  message 

-----> @ 

so it looks like this @Momi0   (helpful tip) because the CC posts doesn't go in order but I do appreciate the reply.  Glad I could help....you are very welcome.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Thank you @Momi0 for clarifying my question. Now I understand! I appreciate it! I do believe in 'less'  is more for creating Rules. People do not like to read long drawn out thesis on mundane stuff. However, when it comes to rules, they need to be drummed in to stick! Yes, there is a huge difference, if you are offering  a room with shared space; or a separate apartment, of the house @Welcome 

Aija

@Welcome0  You are very welcome! Thank you for taking the time to write your public appreciation.  Most just send me private messages.  I am always happy to help other hosts around the world.  I help a lot through Socail Media too.

FYI - I Started with 4 House Rules back in July 2015 thinking I would be hosting folks with common sense, but sadly, there have been a few who checked in with their luggage but left their "common sense" behind. lol  Or perhaps they had none to begin with.  That's starting to be my new opinion.  😉

Who would imagine that I would have to add another House Rule in 2016 to say "NO VISITORS" to our home without our prior permission after a male guest picked up a stranger girl on the beach to bring her back to our home (smoke marijuana and have sex)....I know my bed is great, but I didn't need him to prove it to others!  *gasp

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0You are right. You cannot assume everyone has common sense. I implemented also a sign off document upon handing over keys. It is only a one pager with 13 rules in bold letters. These House Rules are also in the House Manual on the first page. 

Upon reading and reviewing the House Rules on this_______________(date) ,

I(Guest)__________________________(print name) (and my guests)  hereby agree to abide by the House Rules as outlined by

Host: Aija D Pelshe @ Welcome of

### XXXXXXXX Avenue, Hickstown, NY 10001 

Signature of Guest:___________________

Signature of Host:___________________

@Welcome0   Thank you .   Appreciate the reply.  I hope you are doing well.  I just said "Aloha" to another 5 Star guests but this one specifically asked me not to write a review because she wants privacy.  Interesting for a young lady age 25.  I thought all millenials were on the internet everywhere!  LOL -  The good news is, she knows she is always welcomed back to our home.  It was so much fun taking her to see her first Costco and feed her for free with the 17 food sample stations..she was blown away by that.  And loved it!   She said, "Momi, what a fantastic way to eat and save money!!"  I just laughed and laughed.....and then handed my cc over to the cashier to pay my $200 Costco bill for toilet paper, shampoo, ham, cookies, milk, eggs, juice and Hawaiian rolls..etc.  But yes, it was a great lunch for her and I.  And a fun memory we will both cherish forever.  She loved the Hawaiian rolls so much she asked me to buy her 2 packages so she could take them back on the airplane to Las Vegas for her mother where my guests leaves.   Her first Costco?!?! hahahahaha 

Aloha, Momi

Momi, Most of the time a sense of humor disarms people. If it works for you to create a bond between you and the guests, that's great. 

Thus far each of my guests is staying for different reasons. Some for a wedding; some on a business trip; some for a funeral; some as tourists to see the city.  Each one with a different set of goals and values. As a host, we must not assume that everyone is in the same frame of mind. I like to meet people face to face to create a connection. The eyes tell me everything! 

Aija 

@Welcome0   I was specifically responding to @Margaret172  concerns and question about how she could SPEAK with her guests prior to a booking.....its important to look at who I am helping as perhaps my reply is not applicable to everyone's listing, but I actually host IN MY HOME, so my advice is valuable and being told very helpful to many who also hosts in their homes with private rooms.....so of course I am going to look into my guests eyes (some of them have gorgeous eyes too) haha....but speaking to them first makes things so much more wonderful for everyone because they get to ask questions, talk about what they want to do, PLUS I give many helpful money saving tips for Hawaii, etc. And that alone is worth getting  a call from me.  And I am so grateful for the incredible reviews my guests write talking about how I helped them prior to check in day.  So many have said, I was the first host to do so.

Even the guests who was coming to Hawaii for a funeral, my calling them and giving them my Auntie phone number for her flower shop and arranging for flowers for my guests took one more thing off of their stressful list.  And yes,  I greet every single guest.....with cold Hawaiian juice, fresh Hawaiian fruit and it gives me more time to look into their eyes.  LOL

Aloha, Momi

Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

I'm a host in NY. Recently I posted my House Manual listing the Do's and Don't Rules on first page followed with a listing in alpha of where to find stuff, i. e.,  First Aid kit-drawer on left of sink.  In the back I list also our personal info - name, address, phone numbers. Also, our local police and emergency numbers. In case of an emergency, this info is important. Under stress, people cannot remember addresses, etc. It should also be posted in a visible spot.  

My question... Can anyone on line see this personal info in my House Manual or is it blocked out?  It is meant for guests only. Upon reviewing my manual on line, it is all visible. Should I edit out this personal info? I have a printed copy of the manual in the apartment  for guests. 

The house manual is supposedly only made available to guests after they book. 

Elizabeth164
Level 9
Portland, ME

Dear Airbnb host community:

I don't rent my entire floor (or home), but rooms on one side of my personal floor. So far, I've had very very few problems over the past 4 years. The one issue that is a constant is folks not giving me some idea of when they are arriving, even though I make a specific request they do so in my welcome letter. It's as if folks think I have night staff, or don't have other things to do in my life. It's a minor bother, I suppose. But, for a week of single-night occupanies for 3 rooms, it does get a bit exhausting to have to contact most everyone the night before to find out when they are arriving. I've tweeked my Welcome Letter several times, and it now says, "Do let me know your arrival time in advance, so I can plan, as I greet guests personally." But, if anyone can think of better wording, please do let me in on your secret. Thanks. 

@Elizabeth0 I admire your patience! I would suggest limiting a stay at your place for at least 2 days. You would have less work to do. 

All that cleaning!

Also, change your wording in your welcome letter. 

Check in time is from - - - -to - ----. Please give me your approximate arrival time so that I can provide you with keys to the apartment. In the event I am out, you will not have access to the apartment. 

Agreed. Have a 2-night minimum stay or charge a cleaning fee. Tell them you have to be there to let them in, so you need to know when they will arrive and they must tell you if they are delayed.