To Greet or Not To Greet?

To Greet or Not To Greet?

Yes, that is the question. We have a private room in our home situation. We were lax about greeting guests. If we were here, great. If not, we let them check themselves in and gave some directions, and maybe would bump into them during their stay.

Then, we stayed in a private room in a house when traveling where the host(s) did not greet us and seemed to be hiding the whole time. We thought that was super weird, so then we decided to try to at least greet our guests upon arrival, and went out of our way to make sure one of us was home. We then found that some folks seemed put off by it. Those folks were always the ones we had issues with, too, like ignorning house rules or being a third party booking (always parents of an AirBnBer), so we knew we had to greet everyone now, right?

Then, we had friends tell us they never get greeted, even at home shares, and sometimes never see/meet the host, and were totally okay with it - preferred it - especially since they didn't have to be there at a specific time to check in.

So, home-share folks, do you greet your guests? Whether you do or don't, how is that going for you?

50 Replies 50

Hey, Lyndsey, thank you for taking the time to view our villa and your wonderful comments, how lovely of you !

We enjoy hosting in our summer season as we're busy, like you, with various projects also like you we have  rescue animals. In our case they're mainly critters scraped off the roads or found in rubbish bins ( a well-known dumping ground for 'unwantables' ). Our rental property helps us fund feeding/ medical costs/sterilisation/euthanasia, if necessary... Luckily, our other home comes with land, outhouses and large garden- a bit like " Jollity Farm " ( hilarious song by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band in case you don't know it! )

We, too, had a good look at your set-up. Wow !! So cosy ! ( a future dream destination) What's the gorgeous colour on the walls called? I use ochres a lot in my paintings -cheerful & warm.

You're most welcome to come & see us anytime !!

Best,

Ann & Vassilis.

@Lyndsey2 Please see my reply to you (forgot to put the @ ) Sorry! 

Hi all! Thanks for the responses. I think we just had such a busy summer and so many unfortunately awful guests that we were starting to think it was us, but it really was the guests. Several seemed to deliberately try to not meet us, which was worrisome. Having to stalk them a bit to try to meet them just to say hello and ask how things were going and they made us feel unwelcome in our own home. Giving tours and having folks looking at their watches or just having annoyed faces was so strange.

We also had so many that thought they were renting an entire place it was frustrating, and they would take it out on us like we somehow mislead them. We don't take brand new guests anymore without asking them if they know it's not the whole place. In fact, we clarify this with those with reviews, too. Twice this month we had to turn down requests because they thought it was. I can't believe they think they are getting our whole house for under $100/night! We have it mentioned everywhere we possibly can, including the title!

Well, we'll keep trying to greet our guests. If they seem put off by it, we'll let them go about themselves but will make sure to mention the rules. Definitely not a win/win situation. When we started out, everyone was so awesome and happy and wanted to meet us. Now...so many weirdos. I blame instant book. And before you suggest we turn it off...we have an alternate listing without instant book that has had zero bookings for two months.

Kim-And-Joe0
Level 2
Swampscott, MA

Hello everyone,

This is my first time ever posting in the CC, but my husband and I have been hosts for a little over a year with mostly great experiences, and I wanted to chime in on this. We rent out our first floor spare bed and bathroom and make it a policy to have one of us home to greet our guests personally, show them around and answer any questions. If they've had a long day of travel we may offer them something to drink or a snack and we have a quick conversation as long as they're not in a rush.  This helps us feel more comfortable with our guests and also allows them to meet us and ask any questions. 

Our check in time is 3-9pm.   When we confirm the booking a few days prior to the arrival date we ask for an expected arrival time (if one hasn't been provided already) For the most part, people are pretty good about it and if there is a delay due to traffic or weather, we get a message updating us. We do ask guests to check with us before booking if they need a late check in, and we almost always can accomodate them, though it isn't our preference to have to stay up until all hours. We take turns waiting up for late check-ins, which thankfully aren't that often.

Everyone has their own style of hosting but this has seemed to work well, both for us and our guests. It has been interesting to read what others do! 

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

I live by myself and rent out the guest bedroom. Due to a hectic professional and personal life I only meet 2/3 of my guests and almost never am I home upon their arrival. While I think it would certainly be nice to greet guests upon their arrival, it's just not possible for me and thus far I haven't found it to be a big issue. Knock on wood,... I have kept up 5 star reviews since I started in July.  I think on the PLUS side guests may like the flexibility of being able to "check-in" on their own (something I pitch as a value in my description) without having to stress about inconveniencing the host by arriving a little early or late.

I would also offer one suggestion to those who are like me and can't greet in person...I have thus far (not sure if this will always be the case) put out a hand written welcome note, personalized a little if I can for every guest, i.e. Hope your conference was good!

I can only guess that in lieu of a person greeting them, an extension of my personality and care for their stay is evidenced via something you don't see all too often these days - a handwritten note! 🙂

Oh, and a small basket of snacks with water is placed on the bedside table. I am sure that doesn't hurt either!

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I started hosting in January. I always greet the guests, or have a co-host if I can't. I've found people don't read listings and some are surprised to learn they don't have the whole house. Some don't realize the bathroom is shared, or that we have dogs.

I have a firm check-in window between 2-6 PM. I may allow up to an hour for traffic or travel issues. Being firm also helps me with my outside work schedule. My last guest said it well, "Hotels get to be rather impersonal." 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Az1
Level 2
Marietta, GA

We try, but our schedule does not always allow for it. We have a self check in process, and hardly ever greet the guests upon check in. We do make an effort to greet them, however, within 24 hours of them checking into the home. Many times they are greeted with a handwritten note an a small bottle of wine.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Todd-and-Reese0  This is a great discussion thread.  Thanks for posting.  Loved that most hosts of a shared space at leaset try to greet guests even when logistics are not ideal.  I ALWAYS greet because I must introduce my "co-host" Cami the greyhound.  While she is such a gentle girl, I do not want her to think strangers can come into my home without my permission.  Having this requirement has been problematic at times, but nothing I can't live with.  I think my most successful hosting experiences (not just 5 star reviews) occur when I have been able to establish a rapport with the guests.  Sometime circumstances or personalities do not allow for a strong rapport, all of my guest have a sense that I really cared that they had a good experience.

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

When I first started hosting 3 years ago I was struck by the impact of greeting guests. It gives me an initial impression about "reading" the guests needs. Some want to be left alone, others want conversation about jumping into the area and community. So I make it a practice to meet guests as they are in an apartment that is attached to my house. I don't regret the time and/or inconvenience because when I do not get to meet them (i.e when I am out of town), it seems that those guests experiences are not what I or they would say are "spot-on". Airbnb started with a belief in human connection and I try to maintain that philosophy.

I host a single occupancy private room+bath in my home and we ALWAYS greet and send off our guest for check in and check out. Especially for check in, we wait outside to greet them and bring them in. This makes it easy to not allow entry if the guest who arrived does not match the guest picture. We give the guests entry code and key after the house tour. 

IMO, any guest not comfortable meeting the host at check in is a clear sign of not being a good fit with me and Henry. We are opening our home to guests and would not dream of giving out our entry code or allow access without meeting them in person first. We exchange messages to understand what kind of person he/she is, and to determine if we will be a good fit but meeting in person is the last step. 

Ric11
Level 4
Salford, United Kingdom

Hi

I home share and allow self check in. I work afternoons and evenings so most guests use the self check in, but I do ask the previous day what time they will be arriving about and then I will tell them my plans for the day and to make themselves at home when they arrive and hopefully we would meet up in the evening at some point! 

As I have a smart lock, it notifies my phone that the guest has arrived so I then send a message to make sure everything is ok and see if they have any questions. I then also tell them an approximate time I will be home and that I will see them later.  Guests find this fully acceptable as well in life we all have to work or things to do. 

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

I will add....  Just do what you prefer and what your comfortable with.  You really can't predict which of your customers will prefer; an in person greeting with lots of conversation and personal recommendations for restaurants, etc or whether they will prefer to do the self check in no contact with the host.  I prefer meeting them in person, but I don't sweat it if something comes up in my schedule and I won't be home.  I make sure to communicated with them at least once (after check in)regardless of their preference because I do want to get a feel for how much contact they want from me but also to let them know that it's ok - I'm not offended if they are self sufficient and do not need a lot of my time or attention.

I think being flexible is key to enjoying the hosting experience.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I always meet and greet our guests upon arrival.  We do not have an In-Home listing but live in the house next door to the property.  Our guests are not staying in a hotel room, but a privately owned home and we want our guests to feel welcome and enjoy their visit to the city.  With an in-person greeting, we are sure the guest(s) checking in is the same as the person that made the booking.  This gives us the opportunity to review the house rules with our guests, verify the number of persons staying at the house and make sure no pets have been smuggled onto the property.  

Linda   

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

When renting the whole place in my absence, I ask guests to call me from my landline once inside. That allows me to welcome them and no longer worry, if they found the place, the key and got in. We can do a walkthrough by phone to help them find light switches, computer on switches etc. 

For the shared room, I greet everyone in person. I’d stay up to 2 am to do it. Some like to chat, some are falling down tired, and the tour is limited to You will sleep up there, towels are here, light switches, coffee or tea tomorrow?  Leave the key inside, good night! 

Even the most distant of my guests appreciated that . 

I would not feel well in an apartment with unseen strangers. I’m thinking about my listing at the moment and plan to add it more clearly visible as a feature, that the place comeswith a friendly presence. I hope that this will act as a filter. 

The contrary is also true: if you are a distant host and no human presence is included, no contact wanted, you should make it clear. That will act as a filter as well.

Kemia0
Level 2
Lake Park, FL

I text my guests to get a ETA and let them know if I can't meet them there, self-check-in is super easy and that I hope to introduce myself later. So far it's been a good experience. However I do keep my introduction brief and pleasant