To be or not to be a host

Susie9
Level 2
Búger, Spain

To be or not to be a host

I am so so so very frustrated. I am - or I WAS - a very succesfull host, only had great experiences with great guests, been a Superhost all along and I have only had good experience with AIRBNB too.

I live on Mallorca, and now it has become almost impossible to be a legal host...and I set my listings on snooze to see what happend, maybe the government came to their senses and looked at things in a more logical way....so fare it does not seem so.

Anyway...I forgot that my snooze period ended today...so just a few minutes ago, I got a booking...and I paniced. I am not alowed now to be on a commercial site like Airbnb anymore, it can cost me a hughe fine etc. so I did something I have NEVER done before, I cancelled the booking. I cancelled something I enjoy so much, and even worse, I put the persons who booked in a bad situation, I absolutely hate it.

I should proberbly delete my 2 listings (2 rooms), but I just cant make myself do it...I have put a lot of effort and care into those listings, and they have given me and my guests I believe, a lot of good times and experiences. So I snoozed my listings again...hoping for a miracle...that proberbly wont come 😞

So - why am I writing this??? I do not know, except I needed to let off a little steam and frustration !

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You are in a most difficult situation, @Susie9.  Rather than snooze a better option is to deactivate which is a step before cancelling your listing because you can reactivate.  That does not eliminate your listing but does make it invisible to search.  As for the cancellation, it might be helpful for you to contact Air BNB so you can negotiate that the host penalties will not be applied.

I hope your situation changes.  Many cities, states, countries are reconsidering how to govern the type of business and many are overreacting.

Hi Linda and I am so sorry I did not see your reply before now...I simply am not "in here" a lot at the moment. I HAVE now de-activated..but are still waiting for the miracle 🙂 - nobody knows anything here, not even the official places...but seems there might be some new "rules" coming up in August...what they are will be interesting to see.

Susie