To host or not to host when you are out of town?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

To host or not to host when you are out of town?

We have a busy travel year this year-- everything from local long weekend stays to overseas adventures. We are not on site hosts and generally don't meet our guests. We have certainly met a few by request or to resolve an issue in the space; normally our guests keep to themselves. This year, we are obligated for a family visit during a holiday weekend.  So the question is-- do make our listing unavailable during that time or do we leave it up when we are out of town?

My husband is my co host and we don't have anyone else in the area who we  can ask to co host. We would be fully available via the messaging system, phone, text or Skype. I am sure we will get requests for that weekend. As off site  hosts, its likely guests who book would not have the expectation that we would be there. But its a risk to leave the listing up in the event that something goes amiss. Curious what others do in this situation.

8 Replies 8
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

As someone who lives remotely and pays someone to manage housekeeping and local guest support, I’m not in the same situation as you, but it would be nice in this “gig economy” to be able to “rent-a-co-host”, similar to the way TurnoverBNB, Thumbtack, etc. work.  With such a service, you could just order up a co-host and give him a cut for supporting your guest while you are gone.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592  Can you find a cleaner who would agree to take on potentially some extra tasks, e.g. if someone has to go to the property or manage repairs.in return for extra $$?  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 

I host while away/traveling but with limitations. My mother is here to be a point of contact if there is an emergency but I'm still doing all the communication. I set a higher nightly minimum than usual because I would rather host only one or two reservations than a bunch. I let the guest know I will not be around and that my communication will likely be delayed. I don't take last minute bookings and block sometimes multiple days before and after the reservation giving someone other than me plenty of time to clean and check the space. It is doable but I wouldn't do it unless I had someone on retainer (like my mother) who can be available for a drive by or to handle an emergency. 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Laura2592 

I would buy a battery operated camera for the doors, have a nearby house keeper fill in as co- host, and set your minimum stay for 3 or 4 nights. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 we do it, but would not do it without a local co-host standing by in case of emergency.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 I would not do it unless I had a boots on the ground adult ready to step in if needed. Too many what ifs

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Laura2592: We rent our guesthouse but never rent it when we are not in town. I just prefer to be there for who knows what. We don't use Airbnb to survive financially so it makes it easier for us to make it unavailable when we are out of town.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I've only done it one time, over a long weekend, and only because the guest had booked the dates long before my trip (I was invited to an out-of-town wedding). 

Luckily, nothing happened that needed my attention, but I don't think I would do it again. While my neighbor would happily be an emergency contact, I'd feel pretty bad for her if, for some reason, the guests locked the key inside (which has happened) and were trying to reach me at 2am.