To hot tub or not to hot tub, this is my question

Anita368
Level 2
Sechelt, Canada

To hot tub or not to hot tub, this is my question

Hello Host Community.  

I have loved Air bnb as a guest for many years and now I have purchased a home in Nova Scotia, Canada to open as an air bnb.   People are giving me advice, and I am listening and learning.  My question to you, who are experts now in your field of hosting is, " Should I invest in a hot tub?"  What are the pros and cons, does it make a difference for successful bookings?  I am looking for any advice, ( I have been taking notes from other discussion streams).  The property is available in May 2019, so I have time to plan. 

Anita

30 Replies 30
Joei0
Level 1
Delray Beach, FL

Im asking my self the same question about the Hot Tub. One of my Airbnb friends, has a pool guy come by weekly to take care of everything. So thats an idea. She actually uses a Softub. Made of marine vinyl.

To the person who meantioned a still tub, is that like a bathtub? somthing vintage or cool you put outside? Sounds interesting. Maybe combine with an outdoor shower?

Im in FL and only 5 blocks to the water, but hot tubs are big in FL.

Kara146
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I have rented Airbnbs and a hot tub is something I specifically look for, so when I got a place, I wanted one. Mostly, I wanted it for myself, but of course, I was excited to offer it as an amenity and to share it with renters.

The problem is that people abuse it. Each time I've have a larger group of people, and that's only been a couple of times as of now, they've run it the entire trip. I have an app that monitors and I do not exaggerate, they run it 14 hours+ a day, even more than that usually. The pool heater, at least that is off at night, they can continue to restart that spa repeatedly throughout the night, burning more gas and $$$. I kind of wish my rental didn't have a spa. Even if I charge for the gas, it's still a break-even or a loss.

I do wonder if I wouldn't have gotten some of the rentals without the spa... but I don't think it's a deal-breaker for people. If they can get a place with a spa and not pay a penny more, sure, they will take it, but otherwise, they will go for the house that $10 a night cheaper. A spa can cost you $20 or $30 a day in gas and that doesn't include the electric cost to pump it, nor the cost to clean it, and the wear and tear on the equipment. I feel like a spa isn't necessarily something someone will pay more for. It is an attraction that might draw someone in, but even if it draws them in, it's not likely something that will end up making you money. It will probably just end up costing you money to operate. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kara146 

You have discovered one of the key elements of hosting....less is more!

I have learnt, never give the guest something that will be a novelty to them.....if you do, you can rest assured they will break it or abuse it!

I realised while traveling that the bed is the heart of any accommodation and when I started to host I wanted the best bed I could possibly afford. I had a special bed made, 8 ft long to accommodate those very tall guests, it has 6 electric motors in it which serve to raise or lower various parts of the bed and to provide a massage function! Guests just love it, almost all of them make mention in the review process just how good it is either in the main review or the private feedback!

I have had two major setbacks with this bed!

One guest along with her partner sat on the pillows at the head of the bed and tried to put that part of the bed up to see what it felt like. They broke the 'worm and screw' mechanism that raises the bed! I was able to get it fixed but it annoyed me that it happened so bloody senselessly.

Another guest burnt out one of the massage motors when she raised the head of the bed with the massage running. 

In both of these instances these guests blamed the bed or me for not spelling out in the operating instructions that........ being a moron would damage the equipment!

I have also learned that providing a full medical cabinet is not an advantageous move. I have had it cleaned out, even the scissors and the needle and thread, when I have inspected, it is totally bare, empty!

Give guests what they expect, or things they can't abuse.

I know all about the issues with spas, in a previous house I would sometimes come home and find soap suds flowing down the street because someone put laundry detergent into the water. On more than one occasion someone vomited into it....and let me tell you that takes some fixing, getting the evidence out of the filter. And power wastage and spas just go hand in hand! 

Kara, your hearts in the right place, but, you ask any astute businessman, they will tell you, having a good heart doesn't make you money!

Cheers.......Rob

Graham34
Level 2
Beacon, NY

I'm interested in this question myself.  I've stayed in Airbnb's with hot tubs before and I had a good experience.  In fact, I searched for Airbnb's with hot tubs for one specific trip and the place I found with one was quite lovely (and expensive, but worth it to me).  As a host, I'm considering putting one in but I'm on the fence about it for all the above stated reasons (maintenance, operational cost, potential abuse/damage, etc).

I noticed this page today.  The site is for an Airbnb management company called Vacasa.  They have an entire page dedicated to installing hot tubs in their clients properties, which they claim can produce "15-20%" more earnings.  They will even finance and manage it for you.  Which leads me to believe it can be a good investment if done properly?

https://www.vacasa.com/property-management/hot-tub-installation-maintenance

I wonder if anyone has tried Vacasa's hot tub service and what their experiences have been.  Or anyone who installed their own hot tub and felt it produced a good return?

No.  I repeat, No.  Vacasa is only as good as the team they have established locally.   Before you contract with them, ask for references and a trial period.  I had a Vacasa type management company many years ago.  Their idea of cleaning the hot tubs was to send someone to lift the lid and say "looks good".  They never used the chemicals I provided, and charged me a ridiculous fee for the "observing" and an even larger fee for adding water.  Currently, my housekeeper and maintenance man handle the turnovers, which include emptying, scrubbing out and refilling, filter replacement and chemical balancing the hot tubs.  

Hot tubs are very popular in my geo area (NC Mountains).  I am able to charge more per night for my properties with hot tubs.  The fee for their cleaning is included in the whole house cleaning fee, and I have seldom had anyone question that fee.

Thanks so much for that background Lorna!

Just looking at the hot tub itself (never mind Vacasa), do you think it's a good investment for your Airbnb?  Do you feel you get more bookings / higher rates because of it?  Is it enough to pay for all the (initial and ongoing) costs of the hot tub and produce a good positive return after that?

@Graham34   Hot tubs have been a good investment for us at multiple properties.  We are able to charge higher rates than similar accommodations in the area and have attracted more guests and repeat bookings.  However, there was a steep learning curve for maintenance and meeting guest expectations.  While it was not required under local and state health regulations to do anything other than maintain proper chemical balance, we found that emptying the hot tub, scrubbing it out and refilling it after each and every guest produced positive reviews and markedly decreased complaints.  The cost of this maintenance and the electricity uptick was more than covered by our ability to charge higher nightly rates.  We do have to make it very clear in our welcome documentation that the hot tub may still be heating upon guest arrival.  Most guests are okay with that and will wait until later in the evening or the next day for use, secure in the knowledge that it has been cleaned just for them.  Best size:  4 person tubs.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Anita368 , @Lorna170 , @Graham34  , @Robin4  , @Kara146 

There have been some good points made on here.  However, I have to disagree with pretty much everyone.  A hot tub (at least for our 2 listings) has proven to be absolutely crucial. 

Our first listing (small 1BR mountain cottage) started off without a hot tub.  And, yes, the home did great.  It was simple to manage.  We ran 100% booked but were doing about $125/night on average.  Then, after about 8 months, we added the hot tub and a couple other little amenities (hammock, better outdoor seating).  Now we're doing around $300/night on average.  Still booked 100%.  It ended up being the best investment we ever made (was maybe $10K start to finish to add it).  We have to pay to maintain it, we have much higher electricity bills, and there have been at least one instance where the tub went down and we had to give a small refund to the guests ($100 of their $300/night stay).  It’s more stress overall too.  But it’s just so, so, so much more lucrative.  When my wife and I see the typical “hot tubs can earn you up to 20% more” drivel, we laugh.  It’s more like double!

Our second property (3 BR, desert highlands) you absolutely MUST have a hot tub just to be considered by most guests.  The hot tub there has been a pain too!  But everyone loves it, and you must have it in order to be competitive.  So we have one.  I realize all markets are different though.

We had a 4-plex several years ago (urban, all 1BR apartments) and rented all 4 units separately like a little hotel.  $150/night on average and it also ran 100% for all 4 units.  Coincidentally, we were just talking about it today that if we could have done it over again, we would have gotten a huge common-area hot tub for all guests to share.  Had we done that, we felt we could have gotten more in the $250/night range. 

As travelers, my wife and I will pretty much only stay at vacation rentals that have hot tubs (unless it's something like Thailand where it's 100 degrees day/night).  But this is just my 2 cents!  

Are they a pain?  YES.  But they bring in WAY, WAY, WAY more money.  And as a result, a higher end client most times.  Higher end clients are usually more respectful in my experience, and they tell other high-end friends about your awesome place.  A positive feedback loop can be established and the next thing you know you're ratcheting your price up week after week and nobody seems to notice.  

I would 100% do it if I were you.  I think you’ll find that all the sudden you can charge a whole lot more and the guests will be a little bit better. 

@Richard531   I suppose I should have made my response clearer.  I do not think having a faceless company like Vacasa managing the maintenance of a rental hot tub is a good idea as @Graham34 asked in his posting.  We have had success only when we have a known, trained individual taking care of the hot tubs we have at our properties.  Hot tubs, when well maintained, can increase the profitability of a rental property.

I totally agree. My villa can have up 25 guests so it has been a lot of job and trouble with my Hottub (installed it in October). These are the instructions I leave for the guests. Do you leave any instructions for your guests?

jacuzzi.jpgjacuzzi2.jpg

Yeah, the problem is most guests Don’t read and won’t follow the information.    Next I tried videos works a little better but only for basics and the video better be short.    And I still have guests to show up and say oh yeah, I meant to watch that will watch it while I’m here.   

Yes, some wonderful people will read the details and follow with them. They are the minority. 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Anita368 , lots of great thoughts here!  A buddy of mines wife almost died from their 6 month old tub even with the suggested shock treatments, some type of fungus got into the lines and infected her lungs with a strange pneumonia, he sent the tub to a proper grave, his wife took 2 months to recover!  That said, we have a single person walk in / sit down spa tub in our "Access Suite" bathroom but that is far less maintenance as its emptied every time its used and flushed out between guests.

I think there are hot tub listings and listings with hot tubs, one makes sense due to its destination type of stay, the other just checks a box cause most travelers don't have time to Hot tub anyways.  The thing is, Hot tubs aren't good or bad the day they are delivered and put into service but they could be either from that point on.   Its much more intensive maintenance with rotating guests than a pool and unless your doing the things that make them safe and clean constantly, you might be better off adding a nice patio with BBQ to the listing.  Stay well, JR

When you use your hot tub regularly and thoroughly enjoy its intended benefits, it's worth the investment. ... When you choose the right hot tub, you won't regret the investment. In fact, you'll most likely discover the benefits you never even expected.

The Jacuzzi differs from the ordinary plumbing counterpart in that it has an additional effect on the human body with the help of air-water jets. Hot tubs have many benefits. For example, they relax the body well. It should be understood that if you have chronic diseases, then it is not advisable to use them. I am looking for a hot tub too. Maybe some of you know where I can buy inexpensive two-person hot tubs in Canada? I am grateful for every piece of advice.

Jane3487
Level 2
Hanover, NH

Has anyone had experience with having a hot tub but not allowing guests to use it.  We would like to have one installed for our use but not available to guests.  Is that even possible?