Today's Internet outage

Kanani2
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

Today's Internet outage

Anyone else get notices on their phone, this morning?  Today's outage is huge, encompassing thousands of miles and has involved CenturyLink, XFinity, and Verizon. Here's the latest photo at 11:45 AM Pacific Time.  I received a notice from my client at 1:35 AM that the internet was down. However, I didn't pick it up until 8 hours later because of a hitch with my cell carrier, Verizon.  
There's not much we can do -things of this magnitude are beyond any host's scope. I'm thinking elves, hackers, smart nerds from the Pacific Northwest. Photo is from http://downdetector.com

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 11.40.46 AM.png

3 Replies 3
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

My good friend in Santa Fe is holed up in a Starbucks, trying to get some work done. Not affecting my provider here in the Northeast.

Hi @Susan0, that's such a hassle. I told my client as well, that Starbuck's and Flying Star both have free WiFi, provided they're runnning off some other provider!  But it definitely is an inconvenience, but then there's little we as hosts can do about acts of cyber attacks system-wide. 
But it does point to the need for alternatives.
While we have a keyless entry system, fortunately, we issued her 2 sets of keys for her and her husband. The internet and the landline -both provided by Century Link are both down, so while she can't stream, there is an old school radio with a CD player for music and news. The garage door openers should still work as they are controlled by radio frequency. 

Things I have to work on are getting an antenna TV to connect (I tried, but SONY makes it difficult on that model), and also purchase a DVD player (though I don't have DVDs). 

Emily607
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

My current guest complained about this quite a bit though I explained it was nation wide . I worry I will get a bad review for something outside my control.