Toilet brush

Shea5
Level 2
Gloucester, United Kingdom

Toilet brush

Hi

I have nearly completed a year as a host and I have had 3 people ask me for toilet brushes in my bathrooms in that time. I absolutely hate toilet brushes because I feel they so unhygenic. In fact I use disposable duck brushes to clean all toilets inb my properties. I really dont believe for one minute that guests want to clean my toilets with a brush. I can only think that a guest wants them to break down a deposit because its a bit too big for the first flush. So I think they would just use it like a poker and then put it back. That has got to be the most disgusting thing. Am I the only one who thinks this? Is there an alternative? Should I explain? What do you do? 

24 Replies 24
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Shea5

Low level toilet cisterns are the greatest abomination that ever happened to toilet design. There is just not enough 'oommpff' to remove all traces of the last 24 hours.

When I was a child we had a century old house with 16 foot ceilings.....including the toilet! The cistern was mounted above the ceiling with a chain that hung down to a manageable height. Flush water falling from that height just about removed a layer of porcelain let alone any abnoxious material that may have adhered to it. There is no way on Gods earth you needed a toilet brush.

Alas Shea, these days eating habits have changed, we have dietary 'this and that' and, coupled with the fact the distance between the cistern and the bowl has been eroded dramatically so that on many occasions it is not just the lack of flush water pressure that is the problem here! One can be faced with something in the bowl that resembles the consistency of a Carona beer can which indeed requires more than a 'gentle' flush to remove.

I know brushes are horrible things, but Shea, like cockroaches they are part of living in a modern society and nobody likes to have traces of last evenings meal on public display.

I do soak mine (brush) in a strong 'domestos' bleach liquid between guests which does tend to keep it looking relatively 'un-used'.

Maybe one day someone will invent a true self cleaning toilet but, until then Shea, we just have to suck it up.....oh dear, that is a poor choice of words ....and use a toilet brush!

Cheers......Rob 

Ikea has an almost disposable one...so inexpensoive.  I replace them with new ones once a month.

Shea5
Level 2

Thanks Jill2 I did look at these. I then decided not to as it still means I have to have one and trust that guests won't accidentally spray germs. 

Shea5
Level 2

Thanks for your reply, Rob. I still can't do it. The thought of the wet brush spraying everywhere...argh

OP and @Shea5 The answer you want is Toto toilets.  The Entrada is a great entry model that has violent flush power.  Japan created the basic design decades ago and keeps improving it.  The water savings really adds up.  We have installed 6 Toto toilets in both our homes, and also our store. 

In the US, the model is $150 - 225, depending on seat, color and handle location. The new technology allows a stronger flush than old style toilets with a fraction of the water. 

Disposable toilet brushes?  They are not eco-friendly.  Cleaning is part of hosting.  It is easy and cheap to have two brushes and rotate them with one being disinfected while the other is in service. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Shea5 I would die rather than leave a stain in someone’s dunny. Why wouldn’t you want to clean up after yourself?  As Robin says...low cisterns don’t have a lot of oomph.

Are the disposable ones compostable? That sounds interesting:) 

Shea5
Level 2

Most of them are but you have to weight up the hygienic benefits and which is worse on the planet I’d say cleaning toilet brushes after guests use them on those ugly stains mentioned  is more harmful. It’s a bigger picture. 

Elena1273
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

I have a toilet brush but what I have noticed is that people from a certain country (cough cough America) do not use them and like to leave gross marks in my toilet. Do toiet brushes not exist in the states??? I find this totally weird. Does anyone have any tips on how I can mention this politely when doing a check in or do I just continue to clean it myself? 

Also the disposable toilet brushes i hope they are biodegradable. 

Hello Elena,

We don't have this brushes because of the same reasons @Shea5  said.

We offer a plastic glove + scourer + bleach. Handmade, as we do when cleaning.

@Elena1273  you took the words right out my mouth! (Cough cough America!) 

I thought I was doing something wrong when I saw toilets after every their stay 😤

haha it's weird right! I would be embarrassed do that in someone's house. oh the things we have to put up with. 

Hey, I'm cough cough American, and I'm in here right now doing internet searches for alternatives to toilet brush.  I find them so ick, and yet have always had one.  Now, i have a new toilet- taken from a Palm Beach mansion, no less, and it lacks flush power. Requires 2 and 3 flushes to clean at times.

I'm thinking that leaving a gunky toilet would embarrass my guests.  For myself, I pour water against the bowl to clean if needed, and I use brush in a clean bowl for routine freshening.  

I found your discussion while looking for ideas of what to leave for guests that would be easy and not gross them out.  I assume anything at all would be  welcome to avoid the embarrassment though. 

I am embarrassed by the horrid public and political behavior of at least a third of my compatriots. Maybe it is these who travel to your B&Bs because some of them had no compunctions about relieving themselves on the floor of the capitol building. 

I've seen a thing called, "Shifter" which sprays water, but it's only available in U.K, I think.  Nevertheless, probably anything which can crate a steam of water will clean the toilet bowl.

I won't apologize for my compatriots as I have no association with these types.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Shea5 

disposable toilet brushes ????????

Oh, our poor planet :(((((

Most of them are biodegradable but you have to weight up the hygienic benefits and which is worse on the planet I’d say cleaning toilet brushes after guests use them on those ugly stains mentioned  is more harmful. There is a much bigger picture when it comes to saving the planet.