Toiletries Caddy (TIPS!)

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Toiletries Caddy (TIPS!)

Toiletries Caddy

In the 4 years I am hosting, I always have a listing with shared bathroom. I do not really like when guest's toiletries cluttered in the bathroom. Especially if the bathroom also shared with other guests (then it will make me look to be the one that cannot keep the bathroom clean). So, I bought this caddy from the container store (this is my favorite because it is made from flexible plastic, so it will not break!). I put one in each of the private room that I rent out that have a shared bathroom (different colors). During check-in tour I always explain that everything they have that belong in the bathroom to be placed in the caddy and put the caddy in the designated space that I already labeled. Since then, the number of toothbrush left by the sink or shampoo left in the shower have dropped down significatly. So, maybe this system can be helpful for some hosts in this forum.

22 Replies 22
Luke73
Level 8
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Useful tip. I will apply to my listing's bathroom.

Thank you too much @Farah1 . 

What a great idea. Thanks.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Farah1

Just took your advice. Thanks.

@Farah1

For people with listings where there is a shared bathroom, this seems to be a GREAT suggestion!!! We had a similar system when I lived at home and had to share a bathroom with my sisters 🙂 

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You're welcome @Luke73 @Huaai0

@Jessica-and-Henry0 yes, I find this really helpful for a shared bathroom! It become tiring to give a reminder for guests not to put their toiletries all over the place, so having a system seems like a solution for me 🙂

I will add one thing to what you seem to have in the "carrier" @Farah1 ... Cottonelle "FreshCare" bathroom wipes. They come in plastic - refillable containers. I have talked to many hosts that have added them to each BR they rent. They're great for removing makeup, cleaning up generally after spills, and for the occasional guest "with personal issues" in the bathroom. The bulk refills for them are at places like amazon - cheap too. they end up about 2.5 cents each sheet.

Don't just buy one and put the entire thing in the room tho. People tend to use what is there so a couple of hosts I know put about 15-20 in each guest's plastic container in their room. So, it does pay for itself. No more makeup on towels and small guest-cleanups (not to mention kids faces, etc) are taken care of. Many of the hosts say this is taken from their "cleaning fee" as it saves them a lot of time washing makeup off towels and washclothes, etc.

On the one hand I love the idea!  On the other hand, as a plumber's daughter I'm hesitant to advocate the use of any type of 'bathroom' wipes because manufacturer's list these items as "flushable"--and NO WAY do you want guests flushing ANYthing OTHER than toilet paper down the toilet!  That's asking for trouble, because the wipes do not decompose like toilet paper.  Neither should any type of paper towel or kleenex be put in a bathroom area.  Think about it:  Kleenex and paper towels are meant to 'hold together' for their specific purposes, unlike toilet papers.  Do you want your sewer pipes backing up?  I sure don't.

Without going into too many "inconvenient bodily issues" regarding flushing I will describe why I trust them:

I would normally agree, however Cottonelle specifically weaves their product to be flushable (with a binder that dissolves on contact with water) and immediately begins breaking down. The also weave them with short (very short) fiber length. I have actually tested this. I - on the advice of a plumber friend - filled a mop bucket w/1 gallon of water, added a wipe, stirred with the mop handle for 20 seconds (to simulate a flush). The wipes began to loosen up and break down...into many small pieces. I then poured that into the toilet and they broke down further with just that amount of water movement. 

I trust Cottonelle. They explain here https://www.cottonelle.com/flushability why their product is safe to flush and - as you did - compare against paper towels, kleenex and other "hygeine products."

Also, the one thing they don't mention but is true: You use less of a moist absorbent cloth to clean than you do a dry few sheets of toilet paper. This means less paper/fabric/fiber to do the same job...thus less chance of a blockage in your pipes.

Been using them for a decade. Never a problem.

Kaye17
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Suz; thankyou, I learnt something new today. Always thought kleenex tissues OK in the loo.....do that myself........will never do that again.....thankyou so much.  Enjoy your hosting. 

That is a great idea - thanks

Alfred26
Level 1
Harare, Zimbabwe

Brilliant idea I too will implement it. Thanks

Debbie-and-SK0
Level 3
Maryland, United States

I agree!  A past guest made the recommendation and we adopted the suggestion. It makes my heart smile when I see guests using the caddy!  Worth the investment. 

Excellent tip.

Questa è veramente una bella idea!! Grazie!!