Toiletries Solutions

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

Toiletries Solutions

I have only had four guests.  In the bathroom I just put some things I have around the house that people might need, like half used bottles of shampoo and whatnot.  I didn't have any half-used soap, so put a brand new bottle of soap that was about $8.  This is my fault really for putting out something like that.  I should have gone to the store and bought a bottle of Suave for $1.50, but I just was too lazy and honestly never anticipated anyone taking it.  Anyway, my last guest made off with the bottle of soap.  (To give you an idea, the room charge was $27 for four adults since I am just starting out and set prices low to get guests intially).  I'll chalk that up to a learning experience, but now that it has happened I wanted to ask what others do in regard to toiletries?

I would like to leave some toiletries because it is really nice when the hotel has what you need that you forgot, yet I suppose I could just tell guests to ask if they need something.

I thought about having a little sign posted on the mirror that kind of advertises the toiletries like a mini-bar or something - you're welcome to use these items here, if you would like to take with you there is a $5 charge per item?  Or in a more authoritarian version I guess I could charge a security deposit and let people know in the guest guide that they will be charged if they make off with anything.  Anyway, I thought that maybe sounds too fussy, and I don't really want to police or explain all that.  

I saw something where people provide single-use size items, but honestly I think that would cost me more than losing a bottle of soap every few guests.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and experiences?

37 Replies 37
Paula-and-Gill0
Level 4
New Paltz, NY

We struggled with this idea at first too. We worried that we couldn't antipate people prefrences or consumption behaviors. We finally decided to take a few extra steps for those just-in-case situations. For example, a guest forgot a toothbrush, or a guest unexpectadley gets her period. So, we purchased some items that wouldn't break our budget, but could provide some convenience or resolve some unexpected situations. Guest may have their prefered brands, but something is better than nothing. We also bought bulk items that are less likely to "walk away." For exapmple, a big bottles of shower gel, shampoo and conditioner with pumps. We also have cotton swabs, make up remover pads, toothpaste and shaving cream. We also provided some inexspensive travel size items that we wouldn't expect people to share (travel size deodorants his/hers). Finally, we posted a note, to the effect, "For your convenience we have provided some basic toiletries just in case you have forgotten something. Please feel free to use what you need or leave the items for future guest." 

It's a HUGE issue that hosts are still dealing with. Check out www.itscayas.com 

Monica443
Level 1
Luanda, Angola

Have you thought about offering individual soap bars to your guests?

MIN NUA offers packs of 10 artisan mini soaps. Super natural, made with the best oils and at an affordable price.
Check out the website https://minnua.com/collections/boxes/products/tri-box
An easy and different way of surprising your guests!

Mary507
Level 2
College Station, TX

I am glad to find this thread, as this has been a puzzle to me as well. I've been a host for several months, have had over 10 guests and 5* ratings from most.

I think it is important that guests not have to head out to hunt down a drugstore, in a town they don't know, if it's late at night when they discover they've forgotten something. And, part of Airbnb's "business traveler ready" is offering these toiletries, and if I check that box, I want to be honest about it. I travel myself, and I know having toiletries available has saved some awkwardness late at night when I find I'm out of something or have forgotten something, in a town I don't know.

So for the host house, I've been providing a basket of the little "travel size" toiletries that can be found in so many stores - Walmart, drugstores, even grocery stores.

However, I am surprised that many of the guests are using what I provide instead of their own toiletries. I am sure they did not all come with no toiletries of their own, but they select what they like out of my stash. One of them that left a 5* review even suggested in the private note to me that I provide the toiletries in each bathroom!

Clearly there is an expectation with many guests to my host house that if a host provides toiletries, that is what the guests will use. Although these items aren't expensive individually, it is starting to add up to provide so many. 

I host a 4 BR 2 BA house that the guests have all to themselves. It is comfortable but I wouldn't call it luxury by any means. I am happy to be an excellent host even if that means I'm providing toiletries. I just didn't really expect that the guests would use what I provided instead of what they brought themselves. 🙂

I've seen several of Airbnb's guides and videos for hosts. Hopefully they will add one on toiletries, just to help hosts prepare! 🙂

Jakub5
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

You can also check out travel size toiletries designed for airbnbs www.bnbessence.com 

HankBubbie0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Another source with higher-end brands and super fast U.S. delivery is www.BNBgoodies.com

Affordable, but first-class amenties and toiletries. We have several PLUS properties and use these at each.

; - )

Hi @HankBubbie0 ! Congrats on the Plus status. You should check us out too! We've started a company, CAYAS, to alleviate the problem of accessibility. We offer quality products at affordable prices that still wow/impress your guests. We're launching in September you should sign up to stay in the loop and gain access to our pre-launch! www.itscayas.com 

Taylor143
Level 2
New York, NY

We've started a company, CAYAS, to alleviate this problem. We offer quality products at affordable prices that still wow/impress your guests. We're launching in September you should sign up to stay in the loop and gain access to our pre-launch! www.itscayas.com