Torn about writing a bad review

Answered!
Tina26
Level 4
Richmond, TX

Torn about writing a bad review

I was excited and nervous about my first guest, as I am new to renting.  

I arrived at the house 30 minutes after check out time and they were still there, almost done but still bringing things out. They had contacted me to see if they could check out late but I had someone else coming in that day so I had to decline the request.  I thought it no big deal I can still clean and turn it around for the next guest.  All the laundry had been placed in the laundry room per check out request but as I am pulling out the sheets from the hamper I find vomit, lots of it all in the sheets, along with the mattress protector also (thank goodness for the mattress protector). I cannot understand why someone would leave them in the laundry basket like that, at least rinse them out or put them in the washing machine?  

As we moved on to clean the bathrooms, we found vomit behind the toilets in two of the bathrooms.  I had to bleach and disenfect all the floors in the bathrooms, it was disgusting. There were lots of leftover food in the fridge, food all over the floor, the oven looked like something has exploded, a broken glass, smoking on the back when its is strictly no smoking.

Now in the big picture nothing big was runied, everything cleaned up and all is as good as new so part of me wants to just let it go, remind myself that not everyone has the same standards but I also wonder of I should put it out there so the next person knows.

Thoughts please .........

1 Best Answer

@Clare241 Nothing happens if you tick do not recommend, except if they try and book with a host who has a recommendation set up as a requirement for instant book, they will need to send a request. Also remember that other hosts who don't use instant book can't see star ratings, so please do include details of what happened in your written review.

For the review,  I would say something like:

"X booked my cottage for her son's graduation, and she seemed pleasant on arrival. However, the cottage required a significant amount of extra cleaning after checkout, and our space was not treated with respect. I would not host this guest again, and I can't recommend her or her son to other hosts."

Make sure you don't mention any bodily fluids or any suspicions you may have about extra guests: I'm sure you're right, but this type of thing will get a review pulled.

View Best Answer in original post

209 Replies 209

Ahh I see... Thank you. I should write a short & honest review then...

@Khwan0 Yeah, it's hard to come up with the right wording for a so-so guest.  The yardstick I use for coming up with a review is whether I would want them to reserve again with me or not.  If no, then I try to write something short, objective.  What, exactly was the problem with this guest?  Would she be a better guest in a different listing?

@Clare0 The guest couldn't turn the TV on nor get the toilet to flush when she arrived. I had to get an emergency plumber to go there at night, $200 later to find nothing wrong, something just got stuck with the handle. The next morning she called again because she couldn't flush the toilet again but soon figured it out herself. Also the TV was turned on just fine, by the same plumber. None of the guests before and after her ever had issue with neither TV or toilet. I am not sure what went wrong. Everything worked out at the end though but needless to say, it didn't start off right.. I am not sure how to review this...

@Khwan0 Yeah, this is a tough one.  Was she from a foreign country where perhaps things work differently?  If so, I would cut her a bit of slack.  If she was from the US and couldn't figure out how to use a TV or flush a toilet, I guess I would say something to the effect that the guest required more than usual assistance from the host in order to operate the basic amenities. Other hosts would "get it".  And remember, if you really don't think this guest should use Airbnb, be sure to give a "thumbs down" so she can't book instantly without prior approval from an Instant Book host. 

@Khwan0, as @Clare0 says, I would also mention the issue, but not in a very critic fashion. I had guests, who declared all kinds of items broken, that were not, so I would never send a plumber to repair a toilet flush at night. Take a bucket please and flush yourself. And wipe any spills of water right away 😉

in the review, I'd say that the guest had some issues to get standard appliances to work, 

... sorry, phone cut off

I would recommend hosts explain and demonstrate every single thing, that a guest needs to use, especially if it has buttons, levers or electric plugs. - I would start with the positive part, nice guest, enjoyed to meet her more often then others, although I'd preferred other occasions ...

@Clare0  BRAVO Clare for being so great with your advice on writing this review.  He absolutely should write an honest review.  Why are more and more hosts admitting on the CC that they dont' write a review?!?  I just don't understand this thinking at all.   So they think its ok for me to get THEIR CHALLENGING guests and not warn me ahead of time with an honest review? 

I am going to be doing the same thing with a current KOREAN guests who has already broken 5 rules in 48 hours, (Left ceiling fan and lights on in bedroom for 9 hours), also decides to save money by washing laundry in the private bathroom, (hung her AND HER MOTHERS  bras and panties on our beach drying line in front of our house where we told them was for only bikinis, towels and wet beach clothes!  (My husband is absolutely hating this because we see the line from our kitchen window as we wash dishes!)

I have actually told her this now 3xs, and this morning I find them hanging "underwear and tshirts again" after taking a 20 min shower (they take 3 showers a day) and my house Manual clearly talks about not taking excessive showers due to Hawaii water shortage and our limited solar water heater and we have 3 others in my family that need to take HOT showers daily too.  Yet, they keep washing their clothes, even though I have FREE washer and dryer service.  They keep using all the hot water that I couldn't take a shower for 2 hours waiting for more hot water yesterday for a meeting.  Talk about frustrating!!!! Its been so draining dealing with the mother who doesn't speak English at all, and the daughter who keeps saying She is sorry, but doesn't stop the aggravating behavior. I even wrote a message to her on her AIRBNB account to put it into writing about the constant breaking of House Rules, and to address that I have repeatedly told her to limit her showers to one per day if possible, 2 is ok, if one can be short. But they are never short showers.   I even had to knock on door this morning to remind her that its my daughters FIRST day of High School and she needs the hot water to take shower.  We told them this 5 xs in 24 hours not to use the hot water before 8am, but THEY BOTH TOOK SHOWERS at 7am!   This review of mine is going to be the hardest one for me to write because they are kind people to thank me for my delicious Hawaiian breakfasts, kind to my cats and dogs, but the communication is just being ignored regarding my House Rules and House Manual and I also speak to guests directly in my home.  

When I asked her to remember to turn off fans and lights before leaving our home, her reply is....Ok Momi, can you please keep reminding me?  I looked at her in absolute dismay and said, "Do I need a reminder from you to have breakfast ready at 8am with Black coffee that you only told me once?  She said, "You are right, you have been a great host., but traveling with my mom has been very stressful.  I am so sorry Momi, I will try harder."  

@Khwan0   For all of us hosts everywhere, please be sure to write what Clare suggested.  I am curious....do you live near your property that you could have driven over to check on toilet yourself first?  Or do you have a friend or nearby neighbor that could have been called to check on toilet and TV before spending the $200?  Maybe put TV operating instructions in your place.  I needed them for my California ABB and was glad the host had it in his guidebook.

That's one expensive plumber you had to hire....YIKES!!!....My own emergency plumber caused by my guests (19 year old girl) cost me $160.  She was told NOT to put feminine products down our toilet and she put 5 tampons .....causing a flood in our home. I was not there.  SO UPSETTING!  Ruined my Persian rug too.  But I didn't charge her for that.  But I should have. I found out that she also "stole" those tampons from MY own personal closet which upset me quite a bit.  I wrote about that in their review because her aunt was too lazy to ask me FIRST or go to the store that morning.  And the worst part was, the Aunt was told to leave money in the ABB room for those tampons and didn't.   After she received my less then stellar review, she contacted me and asked if she sends the money,  could I please change my review.  I told her;  "No, It can't be done.  Airbnb doesn't allow that.  And you knew I provided an emergency tampon in the bathroom guests basket.  No hotel does that.  You should have been more respectful by not taking things from my closet without permission and left the cash as I had requested."

I know its hard, but @Khwan0 you  need to do the right thing.  It doesn't matter if your guests left a review or not, you as the ABB host should want to do right by the community and protect other hosts from taking bookings from her if she is indeed a challenging guests.  Did you know if you give her 3 Stars in any category she can't book your place again?  Also, you can block her from contacting you again by using the New Feature too. 

Be specific in PRIVATE FEEDBACK to your guests.  That's what I do.  I also tell them EXACTLY why I gave them a lower star in a specific category (In the public review, I write the actual stars. For example:  5 Stars for great communication but 3 Stars for not being neat and tidy guests) and in private I write how they could have been a better guests, like the guest who left 15-20 snotty bundled up kleenex all over the room floor after using them on their nose even though there is a big trash can in the room.  I took photos and sent it to the guests so they could see what we had to look at everyday.....EVERYDAY!!!!  In this same private feedback, I want them to know how important it is to follow House Rules.  That's why some guests get a 3 or 4 Stars from  me, but I would MAYBE host them again. If you do not want ot host her again, please write that.  Here's a great example of what I would probably write about your guests if it were me.   (hypothetical of course) 

"This guests was kind during the booking process. She communicated everything we needed to know prior to arrival.  However, after check in, this guests had some challenging issues within my home.  As a great host, I responded quickly and addressed the issue for her even though it turned out nothing was actually wrong with our toilet and tv according to the professional I hired to go out late at night and check. This was a very costly decision on my part, but I wanted to take good care of my guests.  It would not be my desire to host this guests again, but perhaps she would be better suited to stay at an ABB home where the host actually lives there too in order to guide this guests on how to properly operate a toilet and tv.  Or even a hotel where they provide maintenance 24 hours a day to help their guests. Thank you for choosing our Airbnb home."

SIDE NOTE:

My current Korean guests (who are getting 3 Stars for Respect of House Rules, but 4 Stars for Communication and Cleanliness) would not be allowed back in my home because even though they are somewhat kind in spirit, they are blaming me for my House Rules and House Manual being too much to remember.  Its too draining dealing with someone who thinks saying sorry over and over is ok, but in fact its not.  Thats not a good sign of respect.  I showed her on her phone where she could locate her email from AIRBNB which contains my House Rules and House Manual in her booking confirmed email. So there is no excuse to not remember these things.  I have stayed at 5 Airbnb's homes since 2015 and I have never broken one House Rule.  And I lived with my hosts too.  One host had just as many House Rules as I did plus more. 

In my opinion, if you are going to be an Airbnb guests, make sure you show respect at all times by remembering the rules.  I can understand a guests forgetting our ABB ceiling fan their first morning they wake up and leave to go sightseeing (99% DO FORGET), but every morning!??!  NO!!!!!

I even tell my guests during their House Tour, that the most important thing to me as their host is for them to turn off all electricity and lock the door at night when they come in late.   I am actually going to be asking this guests for additional payment at the end because they have used too much electricity and water during their stay and she knows I am doing this.  She is apologetic but I would not host them again.   FYI - They leave Thursday.   

Maybe share your review with all of us by posting it on the CC.  Remember, do not show her name as its against the CC guidelines. 

EDITED TO ADD:  This is exactly why I now ask every guest with NO reviews if they have stayed at an ABB before?  I let them know that I can call ABB and check on this information so be honest!  I just received an honest answer yesterday and declined the guests once I heard that the host didn't leave a review after a not so good stay for both guests and hosts.  That's disturbing to me that the host chose not to do that.  Guests admitted he had broken a rule to me.  Fastest Decline ever on my part.   Next. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0, that's a frustrating experience you have. You could try a thing: formulate short phrases, orders not requests. 

It's forbidden to hang underwear outside!

1 shower per day! 2 short showers per day possible! 2 long showers or 3 showers cost an extra of xy/ day / person!

then translate that with google translate, copy the English and the Korean cersion into a message on airbnb, but also print it in big letters and stick to the doir. 

Good luck with those

@Helga0   Hi. Helga.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.  And yes, I will be taking your advice too.

Unfortunately the guest situation got much worse.  I wrote about it in another post today ( Call for More Attention to Composing Great Reviews) because the guests (mother and daughter) were asked to leave.  Airbnb even contacted them about the significant house rules violations and the constant ignoring of my requests to stop breaking the house rules.  Videos and photos were sent to Airbnb.  Airbnb told them I could have had them leave THAT NIGHT, but that the host was generous to have them sleep and leave in the morning.  Did they leave graciously and quietly...100% not.  Quite the opposite actually.   Also managing to break a nice new toilet seat too at 6:00am.  Even harassing me on the ABB message site too. 

And the bathroom damaged was all recorded at 6:41 am for Airbnb 2 minutes after they walked out the door without saying one word.  Sadly, this will be a 2 Star review for me at best.  

I have hosted several guests who didnt' speak English, but no one frustrated me more then this one (The daughter spoke enough English to converse with me, but her reaction and response after 2 days of her mom and her breaking rules was....'Momi, its too many rules to remember!  We are going to need a lot of reminders."  Who says that to a host?  

My own 12 year old daughter managed to stay at 3 Airbnb's with me in Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand where we lived with the all 3 of our hosts and their families, and she behaved 1000% better then this 32 year old daughter in my home.  Every host said she was truly an awesome respectful well behaved guests.   Clearly, the apple falls close to her mother tree.  :))

My own child even wrote the review for one of these hosts and the hosts said it was such an honor to have my kid write a 5 Star review.   (especially from a child's perspective)

It is never an easy decision for me to end a booking early.  However,  when it affects my own family life and their ability to enjoy living in our own home, I draw the line and open the door to say......."This isn't working out, so I will need you to leave.  Thank you."

No money in the world is worth sacrificing my husband and child's joy!   OR MINE FOR THAT MATTER!!!!

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Hi Momi

I love your posts, we need to take our power back, you are right we are not hotels.

I am a superhost in Cape Town and hate having South Africans to stay as most do not care to learn about ABB, they are often spoilt, disrepectful, untidy and entitled.

Whereas good guests are enjoyable, difficult guests are exhausting.

If I could have a filter to deny local bookings I would, I know I'd also miss some good bookings, but would happily pay that price.

The bad ones want to invite friends and family over, become hostile when you enforce rules, show no respect. When I recently explained to a guest the house rules he exclaimed 'Oh I never read the fine print" , when I insisted he then said "oh i hate ABB" to which i nearly replied well then why are you using it it!!

He didn't leave me a bad review, but 3stars for communications and 3stars for checkin when he arrived 3,5 hrs late was terribly unfair.

Thanks for making me smile again and i love your idea of rating how much fun they were to host.

Each time I get a local booking I'm a little nervous before they arrive, which just never happens with my other bookings, I've set my requirements as high as I can to protect myself, but if hosts don't give bad reviews, my requirement of having good reviews just becomes meaningless, as I've recently experienced.

So to all the hosts out there, be honest, otherwise reviews become meaningless and a waste of time.

Kari

@Kari8 

I’m glad that you find many of my posts to be very helpful. That is my only goal when I approach the CC when I offer other ideas that could potentially prevent a host from getting frustrated with guests or ABB. I wish more hosts shared your appreciation. Some hosts, (and travelers) unfortunately don’t even write back a “Thank You” after I take the time to reply back and answer their many concerns/questions. Manners are always a good thing. Some I have helped many many times. 

The good news is, one particular host did thank me on the CC this past week for my efforts to help him achieve Superhost! And yes, @@Jann3  hard work does pay off... it’s not a gift at all like your loved one suggested LOL! Super proud of you. 

I currently CoHost/Primary Host  5 listings for others and its wonderful to  hear and read messages from these folks who hired me when they say;   “Thank You Momi, you are certainly worth every dollar!” - none of them have had any further problems with guests reading and following house rules. 

LOL!!!  **** ( I put Airbnb’s very clear policy of Airbnb canceling their booking early if House rules are broken into all of their  listings for all guests to read) ****

On that note, just wanna wish everyone a SUPER HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018 and hope to meet many of you at the Airbnb Open. 2 Superhosts have already asked me to be their roommate... why? Bc I follow House Rules and I am super clean! 🙂 {thankfully they said they also like my funny personality}

Aloha, Momi

Annette155
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi I have had a recent experience of a guest who was generally pleasant and a quiet guest. However he had a terrible body odour and as he only half dried his clothes in his room and had an extra electric heater, the steam he created has caused his body odour to be absorbed into every pore in the room. I have thrown bedding away, deep cleaned the room and put strong odour eliminators in, but still that vile sweet smell. 

I want to have instant book but I could never have him again and could not write a bad review about something so personal. 

Difficult 

Dear Annette, 

You can write something like “Hotel room might be best suited for this guest” or something to that effect. I would then know not to accept that guest. Airbnb needs to come up with some kind of code, so that those of you, afraid to leave “bad” review, can do so easily?! It is really unfair to the next host, not to have any inkling about “bad guests”. I love Airbnb hosting, I was booked solid for 3 months last summer. I got amazing reviews and I’m friends with many of them in Facebook. 

I had some “bad” guests as well, I’m certain, that they had done same things in other places, but had very few reviews and non “bad” or “warning” 😞 

Example, I had a couple who spent nearly the entire 3 days in our kitchen, cooking horrid smelling foods. Our children didn’t want to be at home, so we spent as much time out as possible. I have high quality air purifiers, never before they haven’t taken smells out within 4 hours, this time it took days. Perfect opportunity to write “ this couple is best suited for hotel with a kitchenette”. I truly enjoyed our many guests last summer, however, this year I’m going to accept very few guests. It really bothers me that other hosts are not warning the next host?! Woundn’t you be want to be warned?

We are finding ourselves in this same situation but are afraid of "revenge reviews" from the affected guests. This thread is so long that I've not read all of it so I apologize if this question was already raised but: Shouldn't Airbnb offer all the hosts an internal guest review system which isn't viewable by the public? We can be more honest about bad or good guests without fear of reprisals from them. Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Tim-N-Pami0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

We just had our second guest. As they checked in we did discuss the NO SMOKING policy. So it not like they didn't know. They checked out 2 hours early and left all of the windows open as if that was going to help. As soon as I walked up to the porch I could smell the pot smell coming out of the window. Upon opening the door to the unit it was overwhelming to say the least. I did send this to the renter "I've been cleaning since you left. We don't mind the pot smoking ...but in the unit was not ok. It infiltrated everything including my cleaning cabinet . I even have to take the curtains down to wash. It would have been better in your own car or out under the back workshop." I have gotten nothing back f rom her. It was a private message. It was raining hard last night so I'm guessing they didn't want to stink their own car up. I'm just glad that I don't have a back to back guest coming in. 

What would you do here? 

Thank you 

Pam