Torn about writing a bad review

Answered!
Tina26
Level 4
Richmond, TX

Torn about writing a bad review

I was excited and nervous about my first guest, as I am new to renting.  

I arrived at the house 30 minutes after check out time and they were still there, almost done but still bringing things out. They had contacted me to see if they could check out late but I had someone else coming in that day so I had to decline the request.  I thought it no big deal I can still clean and turn it around for the next guest.  All the laundry had been placed in the laundry room per check out request but as I am pulling out the sheets from the hamper I find vomit, lots of it all in the sheets, along with the mattress protector also (thank goodness for the mattress protector). I cannot understand why someone would leave them in the laundry basket like that, at least rinse them out or put them in the washing machine?  

As we moved on to clean the bathrooms, we found vomit behind the toilets in two of the bathrooms.  I had to bleach and disenfect all the floors in the bathrooms, it was disgusting. There were lots of leftover food in the fridge, food all over the floor, the oven looked like something has exploded, a broken glass, smoking on the back when its is strictly no smoking.

Now in the big picture nothing big was runied, everything cleaned up and all is as good as new so part of me wants to just let it go, remind myself that not everyone has the same standards but I also wonder of I should put it out there so the next person knows.

Thoughts please .........

1 Best Answer

@Clare241 Nothing happens if you tick do not recommend, except if they try and book with a host who has a recommendation set up as a requirement for instant book, they will need to send a request. Also remember that other hosts who don't use instant book can't see star ratings, so please do include details of what happened in your written review.

For the review,  I would say something like:

"X booked my cottage for her son's graduation, and she seemed pleasant on arrival. However, the cottage required a significant amount of extra cleaning after checkout, and our space was not treated with respect. I would not host this guest again, and I can't recommend her or her son to other hosts."

Make sure you don't mention any bodily fluids or any suspicions you may have about extra guests: I'm sure you're right, but this type of thing will get a review pulled.

View Best Answer in original post

209 Replies 209

Hmm, having been in the situation, I know it’s difficult. I try to make my listing as little attractive to people without social skills as I can. It helped, but some pass through the filter regardless. It’s uncomfortable having a cold presence hovering in the other room. 

If you know them longer and outside your own home, it’s easier. I consider an autistic  neighbor a friend, but it happens that I just leave him in the bistro mid-sentence, even if he invited me to a coffee.   What I observed over the years, that just slides off him. He generally expects the worst of everyone, feels obliged to help strangers and friends (not confirmed foes) and at the next meeting, the world starts new, if I start it with a smile. He has absolutely no understanding when he hurts someone a bit or profoundly, but can entertain a group to tears of laughter. 

With a guest, you don’t have the time to work that out and no wish to do so. 

My strategy is to be friendly at every encounter, just chat on a bit, leave them alone a lot.

If the behaviour is inacceptable, I give simple orders. No explanation, that’s confusing. Like “wipe that dry!” “Shoes off!” 

Consider, that he won’t get a reason, another person would get and come to the conclusion to do what a normal person should do. If you said “street dirt makes my white carpet grey”,  “spilled water makes the wood rot”, that’s just meaningless information. A moral obligation to make your host happy and not ruin her things, is even farther in the realm of mystery. 

So short orders it is. I guess their world inside is very frightening and understandable structure is welcome. 

If the conversation is out of line (your line), you could just say “I do not want to talk about that !”  And go away, close a door between you. Next meeting you start with a smile and an unrelated topic. 

As for the review, there are different possibilities. He won’t get irony, if that’s your choice how to smuggle a warning in. 

Or you could stay to bare facts. “X has an astonishing frankness in his conversation, which made me uncomfortable/ ... which I had to learn to handle. “ 

thinking about it, I had a few guests, where I gave a light / clear / brutal warning and I don’t recommend a hostile thundercloud to my fellow hosts. 😉

my worst case had a perfect  prior review. I asked about it: the host relegated him to a nook in the attic, which you would be hard put to call a room. It had a bed and a chair, but was way under the level of an ancient servant’s room. Both were perfectly happy with that arrangement. He did not have any notion how to treat a normal apartment, but no notion either, what minimum standards should apply to the treatment he receives as a paying customer. 

I was very upset when I went back to my studio and everything was a mess. However, the first thing I noticed was the smell of cigarettes and smoke. I could deal with having to clean, but its tough when you're doing same day turn around and your last guest smoked in your unit. I don't have a smoking fee posted, I don't know how much to make the claim for

For such a rude behaviour I have zero tolerance. Request the full amount (depends how much it is of course). Good luck  

We have a "Thank You for not smoking" sign on the door as they walk into our studio.

So far, anyone who has smoked and there hasn't been but a couple have gone outside.

Lisa736
Level 2
Wamberal, Australia

Don't the guest have to write a review of their stay first and then we the Host write a review on them before we can read what they have said about us/our place?

I too have been guilty of not being totally honest with my reviews but only in a very small degree as so far we have been very lucky with guests. But I have been afraid of they might be able to come back and say something harmful to all the hard work we put into making our place a really nice experience to stay after reading our review, even if they have already written a review.

@Lisa736Reviews double blind: your guest doesn't see your review until they complete their review, or until 14 days after their departure if they don't write one. This means that they can't write a retaliatory review of you. 

For the sake of other hosts, please be honest in your reviews. 

It is like you say, but resolution centre proposes first to talk to your guest if there was a problem and you have 14 days/untill the next arrival to do it. It happened to me, I tried to talk to the guest who did some damage, they refused to pay and then left a very bad and not truthful review. Thanks to intervention of a nice person from review department the revenge review was taken down, it convinced me to stay with Airbnb otherwise I was ready to leave. 

Nancy749
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Hi Tina

I am a frequent Airbnb guest and I always believe that as a guest you should always leave the place the way you recieved it. I don't like writing bad reviews either and fortunately, I have stayed in over a dozen Airbnb's that have been quite good and some amazing. 

My "bad" reviews usually revolves around cleanliness (only 2 places I've stayed at that comes to mind that didn't meet the cleanliness standards, one was dirtier than the other). The dirtiest one I stayed  at had poo stain on under toilet seat and bowl, face towel with stain and carpet not vacuumed. I believe if you're a host your apartment should be sparkily clean at a hotel standard.

I think you should give a geniune review of your guests and that the state they left your unit in was not acceptable because you left them a clean unit and they essentially made a mess of your unit. If I was a Host I wouldn't be keen on renting my place out to inconsiderate guests and your review would help inform me of these kind of guests.

Cheers

Nancy

Zam4
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

I'd encourage people to write accurate and honest reviews.

I felt bad about writing bad/negative reviews and ended up writing a cryptic short review. The guest didn't feel bad about writing negative review.

My experience: I sensed from the begining this guy would be diffucult, but ignored it.

A guest request a late check-in around 12AM (3-9PM is normal check-in) and agreed and proceed to get a lockbox since it's quite late. The guest was pushy, trying to get instructions. His language and attitude throughout was negative.

Guest checked-in, the next day he texted because he had locked himself out of the bedroom. I texted him the code and reminded him it's also on the house rule/info sheet (1 page). Next day he couldn't turn on the shower. I have all the rules and instructions on everything on paper in the room. Non of the guests before had issue. I don't want to bombard guests redundant informations.

The worse was his attitude, language, mocking and sarcastic remarks, and negativity. Why didn't you..., why don't you..., OMG...., oh s**t...., and so on. Not respectful, not polite. 

I never saw the guy because of schedule differences.

Christopher-and-Elisa0
Level 10
Margaret River, Australia

I’m at the point where I try to be as honest as possible and listen to my gut.

The worst thing is when you think, oh, maybe it wasn’t that bad, be kind, don’t mention it and then the less-than-perfect guest gives you less than 5 stars because a 10 minutes walk to town was too long for them so the location was bad or it wasn’t value for money because there wasn’t a stove (disclaimed repeatedly in the listing) or the check-in was an imposition because they had to meet the host (disclaimed repeatedly) etc. I think I will never get over these few cases where I wrote good reviews against my better judgment.

And certainly in cases where the guests were truly problematic or destructive you absolutely should say so in your review. They can’t revenge review you and you obviously don’t want them back so block them and move on.

I think that location should be evaluated but not included into general evaluation. A host can go long way trying to accomodate the guests but one thing cannot be changed - location.  So I find it very unfare then location vote ruins all your hard work just because a guest haven't noticed words TOWNHOUSE and was expected a house in middel of nowhere.  

Jessica1245
Level 1
Albuquerque, NM

I was just speaking with a friend who also hosts 3 homes and expressed my concerns about posting a mediocre review.  I have 22 for 22 5 star ratings and know 1 poor rating will affect my overall rating.  My home is 4 bedroom and 3 baths and takes me about 6 hours to clean--if the guests leave the home in a generally clean condition.  I don't require too much because this is why I charge a cleaning fee.  But, I don't expect to have to clean up vomit on the cabinets, take 30 minutes to clean a refrigerator and double wash the white towels and white sheets because of the make-up and kids drawing marks (and I still have to replace 3 of the towels and 2 of the pillowcases.  My furniture was rearranged and left rearranged upon their departure.  It took me almost 10 hours to clean the home for my next guests and they were only there for 3 nights. 

My concern is that the person who reserved my home lives in the city and her family was coming in to visit.  If I provide a bad review, she's local--what could happen?  

Thirdly, not to review a guest is damaging to us as hosts, too.  I don't want to leave a review as my stance for letting them know how poorly they left my home would surely indicate my concerns BUT I do feel responsible for the next host as they seem to love to travel via Airbnb.  I think it's because they can trash your place and leave their home clean--or they live like this anyway and it's normal for them.

I'd love someone's thoughts.  I am new to Airbnb (October 2018) and although this is my first truly bad situation, I want to do the right thing.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

PS.  My 65 inch smart HDTV's picture suddenly had vertical lines in it.  She assured me there was no "foul-play."  

PPS.  White is the color of hospitality but how do you tell women to "use makeup remover first and not my white towels? 😞

Well, I personally don't rent to locals. I suggest you do the same in the future. Unless these people know you personally or live nearby I dont think you should fear retaliation. What are they going to do? Slice up your tires for giving their relatives a bad review? Come to your house and beat you up? If you are afraid they will do that I suggest you install an outdoo videocamera so if something happens you have proof.

I see no reason why you shouldnt leave them a bad review. They behaved horribly, they deserve this thing to be known by future hosts so they wont be able to IB and do the same thing to other people.

I shouldn't worry what the new guests think; they will find the house clean, right? They are not going to look online to find out who booked it before them and read your review. 

Also for the makeup think there are stain resistent towels availabe at Amazon that guests can use. Just put it in the house rules.

@Jessica1245

I also seldomly rent to locals. Why does a local need an airbnb unless its because they are renovating their home or they want to rent it for their family coming over but even that you have to watch out for because it can be a lie.

If they rent your place for any other reason, it is likely because they want to do something in your home that they cannot or do not want to do in their own.

every horrible experience I have faced when it comes to damage or extreme mess has been through local guests, I have learned the hard way but I am super careful about this now and luckily have not had this happen in a while since I started to improve my screening criteria.

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I make specific notes in my rules re linen:-

- Please don't wash any of our linen.  We launder professionally and stain removal may be compromised

- Please shower after applying cosmetics, particularly sun-screen, and before using our white linen and towels.  Some products contain chemicals that only reveal stains after laundering.

Write it in your rules; if necessary mention it in a pleasant way ("I just want to make you aware) when you welcome your guests.  We have found that sun creams are the worst.  Some of them leave rusty stains that are not removable. 

Remember that your review is for the next host.  If they are not worth the work, I would want to know.