Torn about writing a bad review

Answered!
Tina26
Level 4
Richmond, TX

Torn about writing a bad review

I was excited and nervous about my first guest, as I am new to renting.  

I arrived at the house 30 minutes after check out time and they were still there, almost done but still bringing things out. They had contacted me to see if they could check out late but I had someone else coming in that day so I had to decline the request.  I thought it no big deal I can still clean and turn it around for the next guest.  All the laundry had been placed in the laundry room per check out request but as I am pulling out the sheets from the hamper I find vomit, lots of it all in the sheets, along with the mattress protector also (thank goodness for the mattress protector). I cannot understand why someone would leave them in the laundry basket like that, at least rinse them out or put them in the washing machine?  

As we moved on to clean the bathrooms, we found vomit behind the toilets in two of the bathrooms.  I had to bleach and disenfect all the floors in the bathrooms, it was disgusting. There were lots of leftover food in the fridge, food all over the floor, the oven looked like something has exploded, a broken glass, smoking on the back when its is strictly no smoking.

Now in the big picture nothing big was runied, everything cleaned up and all is as good as new so part of me wants to just let it go, remind myself that not everyone has the same standards but I also wonder of I should put it out there so the next person knows.

Thoughts please .........

1 Best Answer

@Clare241 Nothing happens if you tick do not recommend, except if they try and book with a host who has a recommendation set up as a requirement for instant book, they will need to send a request. Also remember that other hosts who don't use instant book can't see star ratings, so please do include details of what happened in your written review.

For the review,  I would say something like:

"X booked my cottage for her son's graduation, and she seemed pleasant on arrival. However, the cottage required a significant amount of extra cleaning after checkout, and our space was not treated with respect. I would not host this guest again, and I can't recommend her or her son to other hosts."

Make sure you don't mention any bodily fluids or any suspicions you may have about extra guests: I'm sure you're right, but this type of thing will get a review pulled.

View Best Answer in original post

209 Replies 209
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Tina26,

As many people have said in the past, it is important that you review your guests accurately and to the point.  This is important so other hosts are aware of the guest they may be accepting and they are forwarned.  I would mention that the lack of cleanliness was a major concern for this guest and often many hosts would use something like, "this guest would be better suited in a hotel setting".  

A friend of mine has been leaving star ratings in the review and I have started to do this as well.  This is the review for my host who provided a "revenge review" because Airbnb charged them for sneaking in extra guests: 

"Sue and her family stayed for one week. She booked for 2-4 people. Four people checked in but three more guests arrived for the weekend. On two occasions, the exterior door was left unlocked as well as two bedroom windows at checkout. We would not host this family again. Cleanliness ★★★ Communication ★★★ Observance of House Rules ★★"

This review is to the point and concise.  Other hosts will know what they could be dealing with if they accept this guest.  The only downside is this guest left a "revenge review" and immediately closed her account so I am sure she will setup a new one under her husband.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you for your response,

I know they have already written a review and they left a very nice note in the guest book also.  I have always been a believer in "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"  So Istruggle with this. 🙂 

@Tina26 I'm very familiar with that phrase as well and it's a good one.  You need to realize, though, that the purpose of reviews is to reward  the good, considerate guests and to warn future hosts about tbad guests' behaviour.  The metric I use for my reviews of guests is "Would I want this person walking in the door to my house?"  Reviews are also a way to weed out undesirable guests, just as reviews of hosts weed out the substandard hosts. 

Kylie11
Level 2
South Golden Beach, Australia

The problem with writing a bad review id a more than likely revenge review! hmmm

@Kylie0 in South Golden Beach, Australia No, they can’t write a revenge review. They won’t see your critical review until they write theirs. They can’t change their review after that. The only thing they could try to do is to contact Airbnb and have your review removed.

I have not written bad reviews for the same reason - even when  air-conditioning listed didn't work, and even when the host threatened to overcharge me for having to clean 'bodily fluids' after my son had a nose bleed. Despite flse advertising which he removed after I complained, he is still a host

Apart from that, as a renter, I have had good experiences BUT I am very careful. I always ask questions to  gauge the response of the host. I look at pictures carefully to estimate size, check for places not shown, one room shown as two, mess in house, missing pictures -- e,g, the building or parking places are not shown and ask for additional photographs. I ask for dimensions of bed sizes as a king bed can be a hotel king ( queen size) or  California King. Response time lets me know what I can expect.  If I have any doubts I don't rent.

I expect NO help from airbnb. Their priority is growth and not quality, standards or branding. If they do not change this , competition will hit them hard

I would leave an accurate review, I'm mad at myself at the moment because I didn't leave a review that was accurate enough. I wouldn't want this guest back, a first for me, and i should have said so.

He arrived late kept me waiting around all afternoon till 1820, when check in is 1300-1500, was arrogant and grumpy on arrival, this after I repeatedly ask him for an ETA.

When I showed him the shared bathroom he said he wasn't aware it was shared, his response to it's in the listing was "I don't read the fine print" he's a lawyer.

I mean that info is right there under the listing name.

When he rudely asked for the wifi code as I was leaving belated for a function, I said all that info was supplied by ABB, he snarled back that he hated ABB...

I gave him a cool review by my standards and 3stars for communication and guess what? He gave me 3stars for communication and check in, as if it was my fault.

His review was"Gorgeous house"

I felt like responding "Shame about the rules"

Would that make me seem petty, is there anyway to warn other hosts

Janet917
Level 2
Croton-On-Hudson, NY

Agreed. You don't want anybody like him again

That's absolutely the wrong mentality. Honest reviews is always the right answer. As a host I'd like to know what issues guests have had in the past.

I hear you, but, as a guest, I hesitate to leave a bad review. I just had a horrible experience (really, really dirty home). Based on this person's unhelpful/dishonest response to Airbnb's queries -- even when they showed her the pictures I sent them -- I feel certain she'd retaliate. Fortunately, I got what I asked for ($) back, so at least Airbnb did the right thing! But I'm a good guest (neat and clean and considerate, plus I'm a rule-follower by nature), and I believe I'd be locked out of future bookings if I post anything at all critical. 

Lucky you Stacy, you got what you want...

You know what, like you i have a specific things needed when I plan to book via Airbnb.

I am very particular of  the room’s internet  speed test ( like 20 mbps up). So when I  looked for a place to stay in, I make sure  I was able to ask this concern in advance.   I happened to find a condo  at Venice Mckinley Hill  under  the assistance of “Grace” since it’s very  near and I thought  it’s  cozy and Grace assured me that  their NET SPEED is 20mbps.  So in short I booked it right away and closed the deal and Fully Paid in advance.

Sep 19, 2018 -  When I went to the hotel for check in,  it was already pass 8 pm and Grace told me that  someone had already  checked in the unit and she thought it was  me/us whom she had closed the deal with. How did that happen? There was a voucher, right?  That was very inefficient and I was very disappointed for that issue. Grace tried to resolve the issue and  transferred me to another hotel/s  under Ruben's name, but it was not  the hotel I was expecting, the place was already old, smelly and basically NO INTERNET SIGNAL  at all.

So that night they transferred me again to another place and stayed there since it was already almost midnight. I talked to Grace and asked for a refund. She did not agree but she  offered  a discount  of P 300.00 on that day.

Sep 20, 2018 - I went back to our originally booked place at 5 pm under Grace and the worst part was, the  internet speed was  less than of  that .001 Mbps.   The room was also not the way I expected it. I was really trying to compose myself. Of all the hassles that I experienced.  It’s really maddening.

Due to all the inconveniences that I experienced, I talked to Grace that I  will not just avail the room and  will find another hotel  to book in and that she needed  to REFUND the 1 day   that had not been consumed.  She agreed.  I was coordinating all the details to her. However, she was no longer giving feedback and she already blocked my numbers.  

Given her attitude of dealing with me, I reported her to AirBNB Customer Care and I am doing this  review so anyone who’ll get in touch with her must be warned.

Until now, I am waiting for my refund. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25601908

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22560533

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22781495

Always leave an honest review, otherwise what is the point?

This issue should be addressed by the company management with options for anonymous reviews, followup, and vetting. When a host knows a renter is dissatisfied and expects a bad review, he or she can give you the same. This is not in my interests and until there is a better system I won't even though I see the issue you state

The way I do it in cases like this I stick to the facts. I say something like: dirty dishes in the sink, dirty oven, mattress were moved around the house along with furniture, mascara smeared on the lamp, blood on the bedding, towel set on fire, items stolen, broken glasses. I let the future hosts figure out if they want to host this person. Sorry this first experience was unpleasant. Most people are really nice. But like 5% are like this. Sorry you got a nasty one. I'd give them low ratings just to prevent them from instant booking and doing this to someone else.