Tough times lead to good times

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Tough times lead to good times

Thanks to a lovely post by @Cathie19 I would like to show the reason we stay focused, safe and positive.

In Australia we have had a tough couple of years.

We have had a prolonged drought......

Then came the bushfires........

Adelaide Hills 1.png

As awful as it is to see someones home, their history destroyed, their livelihood threatened......

Inspecting the ruins of the grape harvestInspecting the ruins of the grape harvest

As terrible as that is, the image of a Koala with her fur scorched from the fires, sitting on a log still protecting her baby from harm is just heartbreaking!

Adelaide hills 4.png

Then came the floods......

Adelaide Hills 5.png

Well the drought has gone, along with the fires, so have the floods....and now so have the tourists, the travelers.

Yeah we have had a tough year, we haven't had a lot to celebrate.

But the floods didn't reach everywhere, neither did the fires, Autumn is here and this is why I love the space I am in.

Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens at CrafersMt Lofty Botanic Gardens at Crafers

The Piccadilly ValleyThe Piccadilly Valley

Country Lanes lined with 'Aggies'Country Lanes lined with 'Aggies'

And the hundreds of wineries around here are social magnets.......

Entrance to Golding Wines HahndorfEntrance to Golding Wines Hahndorf

Adelaide 6.jpg

The food is as good as ever.......

Adelaide Hills 3.png

And the accommodation never ceases to amaze, no matter it is the super opulent Mt Lofty House......

Mt Lofty House  late evening.Mt Lofty House late evening.

Or a tiny house in the scrub........

cabn-adelaide.jpg

This place is home and I love it, all we need now is to get on top of this dreadful virus pandemic and start to share it again with the rest of the world.

9da3d7_b5e89fa8c1784b9cb2ef2b18b2e019df_mv2.jpg

Together we can make it!

Cheers......Rob

10 Replies 10
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Great post @Robin4 , it reminds me that the most important aspect of humans is their spirit. When 'calamity' strikes, think anew but above all - rebuilt.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robin4 @Fred13 super post, well done for staying positive.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Thanks @Robin4. Wow, those autumn colours are amazing! We don't see that here...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Gorgeous autumn colors, @Robin4 . Don't get that here in Mexico, nor in British Columbia, Canada, where I lived before. Other parts of Canada, yes, but not in coastal BC.-autumn is very short-lived there- goes from summer to winter quite quickly and the majority of native trees are evergreens.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

So good to read something positive for a change. 

As much as Airbnb annoys me with their often patronising communications and their penchant for shooting from the hip and not protecting their left flank by doing sufficient due diligence and having robust compliance procedures, on the whole, the relationship is a productive one in that it allows us to monetise an otherwise underutilised asset.  I just wish they'd deliver a more consistent, rational and cohesive message.  It's not just hosts like me who see this flaw, regulators are equally baffled by Airbnb's often confused and confusing responses and initiatives.

We hosts in Australia have done it tough, super tough.  Our stratospheric property prices plus the bushfires, followed by Covid-19, coupled with our reliance on tourists from mainland China, puts many hosts under extreme financial pressure. 

I am one of the luckier ones, but many will be doing it really tough.  For these hosts, a weakened Airbnb without the (ostensible) host support that often gives them regulatory 'cut through' will be the final nail in their financial coffin.   If this truly is a community, we need to work together to make it survive.  Constant negativity damages us all.

We do right to call out Airbnb when it does stupid things, but when it delivers, we do need to give praise when praise is due.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Louise0 

I bought a property in Glenn St in Milsons Point in 2003 when there was a glut of properties on the market, left overs from the 2000 Olympics.

It was a reasonable property overlooking Lavender Bay. Paid $278,000 for it........

IMG_0441.JPG The only downside was the proximity to Luna Park.....

IMG_0440.JPG

Sold that in 2017 for $1.36 M so, I know all about those astronomic property values Louise.

Cheers.......Rob

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Robin4 Thank you for sharing your post and beautiful pictures and story. You are right, we will get through this and I’m looking forward to the future when we can all put this behind us. 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

lovely, sensible views, a good rational analysis. Greetings from across the world and good luck for the future!

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

lovely post, good luck to you in the future 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Wow @Robin4 , That short documentary is a powerful reminder of what keeping things in perspective can do, You gotta keep on keepin on!   Stay well  JR