Transfer of Property Ownership

Transfer of Property Ownership

How do I simply transfer my AirBnB account with write up, pictures, descriptions, etc. to the new owners of the property ??

I sold property.  How do I transfer all contacts, etc. ??

100 Replies 100

of course you are right

I have the same question and am very frustrated right now because i don't know what to do when we sell in June so the summer rentals are honored

but in SC, there is a vacation law that all rentals must be honored for 90 days after closing, so what do we do? We have a buyer that is under contract with us and is willing to honor the rentals on the books through Septenber 1. Why can't Airbnb just change the financial information so rents go to new owner and also change contact info so guests can communicate with the new owner? Why is this so difficult??

Scott1473
Level 2
La Verne, CA

I am running into the same exact problem. I am fine with not taking over the the reviews and account of the current owner but I do want to take over the reservations that he currently has for the next two months. 

I have started a new listing and it will be ready to run next week. The problem is what is the best way for the current reservations to book with me? To me it would make most sense if Airbnb would help out. They could send a generic email to the current reservations stating that a new person has taken over the listing. They then could add my listing link to that email. 

The two biggest problems are the guy that used to own the place shouldn't be charge for canceling since he sold the place. The 2nd problem is what happens if someone books a day that that I am holding for the person who had a reservation with the past owner. 

Once again this would be much easier if Airbnb helped out.

Any suggestions? 

Ilona5
Level 3
Holiday, FL

From my experience it looks like that,  you sell the property and you need to arrange Airbnb bookings with the future owner who is willing to continue renting and take over the existing reservations, however the current bookings must be cancelled and can't be simply transferred , no one will be charged penalty because it's due to  selling the property. Talk to Airbnb team and all future reservation guests and tell them to rebook, provide a new link to the property created by new owner as long as the new owner is willing to rent on the same terms and rates  there should not be a problem in the transition at all. Just explain to your future guests what's going to happen, as long as they can still come they'll be happy. 

Alan91
Level 3
Greenville, SC

Well, I just sold my property and the problem is that AirBNB is no help at all.  They don't even suggest what to do when you sell the place, and when you cancel a reservation, the explanation that the place was sold is not even a drop-down option.  I have been a superhost with 5 star reviews, and I hope that the new owner will do as well, but I don't know that.  I was uncomfortable letting him take over the listing as a co-booker for a couple of reasons.  First, my good name is on the account.  Second, revenue collected will be reported as my income, and taxed to me through AirBNB's 1099 (in the US).  What we did was this:  I wrote to all the booked guests (through their emails I had collected), copying the new owner, who pledged to give them the same reservation at the same price.  He then wrote to them, saying the same thing and instructing them how to book.  (He decided not to use AirBNB).  So, if they wanted out, they could do that, but they had a clear no-hassle way to keep their bookings.  It's not perfect.  AirBNB should allow an owner to transfer a listing, losing in the process the review history and the superhost status, but keeping the description and future reservations.  From the date of the transfer, all bookings and control of the site would go to the new owner.  AirBNB also could notify all scheduled renters that they could cancel without penalty if they want to.  That way the old owner is protected, the renter is protected, and the new owner can slip in easily.  Are you listening, AirBNB?

This is a great explanation of how AirBNB could handle the transfer. Crossing my fingers that someone somewhere will pay attention. 🙂

Catherine185
Level 2
Mont-Tremblant, Canada

Further to this - I am in Canada but I expect the process is the same. Just going thru the transfer process myself. The new owner has created a new listing with all the same information as my listing. I have contacted all my existing bookings letting them know I have sold but that the new owner is taking on all the bookings at the same price. I have provided them with a link to his new listing ( it helps that he is already a superhost so has his own reviews) and asked them to confirm that they are okay with the switch. Then I contacted Airbnb to have all the bookings cancelled - I could have done it myself but did not want it to affect my superhost rating. This was a horrible process as Airbnb can't handle this easily, don't ask me why, but eventually it got done. The guests contacted the new owner and he gave them a special offer with the appropriate dates so the amounts stayed the same. Everyone was happy. Just make sure you record the guests phone numbers before you cancel and forward them to the new owner in case they don't book again right away or have difficulties and the new owner can walk them through it.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have yet to sell a business (this be my 5th) that the new buyers wouldn't want me to remain associated with it for a period of at least 1 year. A subject that came up in a conversation with a potential buyer just yesterday. None of these past sales switched management from one owner to another overnight, that spooks the customers and throws everything into question. Over a year's time, the old bookings can be satisfied while the new bookings fall under a new co-hosted listing.

The last people that should even be remotely involved is Airbnb in any arrangement, their position is not unfair and it is quite understandable, but they do not have the interest to even be involved anyway. They are a booking agency not a business consultant.

/Just a thought

Buying an air B&B property myself right now and can't believe you can't just transfer the account to new owner! I've stayed in countless air b&b's and never knew or cared who the owner is. This whole "experience" thing is over the top! It's a place to stay, and a new owner doesn't change that. Just stayed @Mirage hotel in Vegas a few months ago. Been staying there off and on for years. It changed ownership....no change to me. Same place.

A huge part of a property value is it's income/rental history. If you buy a motel or hotel, or about any business for that matter, you  include the name, website, etc in the sale. To not be able to do that with an Air B&B account site is crazy.

A new owner changes the rental less than a current owner changing furnishings, services offered, etc. If new owner or current owner change things and people don't like it, the reviews will reflect that over time.  But this is the way air b&B likes it I guess and Since they really have no market competition at this point though they probably don't care and won't change it.

@Jeremy778 I totally agree with you. Also Airbnb are being disingenuous because they list properties in the UK from sites such as Cottages.com. These listings are not owned by Cottages.com and the true owners can change year by year unknown to the Airbnb guests.

I have sympathy for shared home listings as the owner is a very key part of the stay but I don't think anyone would think a shared home listing should be transferred between different owners.