Transferring a listing to another account

Sue6
Level 1
Valemount, Canada

Transferring a listing to another account

If I sell my BnB and the new owners want to take over my AirBnB account... because of the financial connection is this a good idea? What is the process to go through to make sure all goes smoothly and that everyone stays secure?

42 Replies 42
Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

Hey @Sue6. The new owners cannot "take over" your account, and you can't really just foist off prior confirmed guests to a new host either, ethically speaking. What you can do is ask the owners to become co-hosts (using a verified Airbnb account of their own), get a commitment from the existing guests if they are comfortable with that arrangement, then handle the payouts privately between the new owners and yourself.

After the transition, the new owners can set up their property on their own profile however they choose, and you delist.

Win/win! 🙂

Yes, this is what I can tell from the website is the best process to go through. Thank you Robert!

Where do you find a Co Host"button" ? How do you co host?

The only problem with this approach is that you lose ALL the reviews for that property when you delist and the other owner sets up a new profile on their end, as the reviews are tied to your profile and property.

So this would suck if you have something like 50+ 5-star reviews, as those would all be gone and the new owner would be starting from scratch.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you don't -the ratings rightly stay with business owner who earnt them .

the new owner would rightly start from scratch  @Miso0 @as a new host. It would be disingenuous to false attribute ratings to a host who hasn't earnt them.

Umm, how would that be "disingenuous"?

If that new host has been a co-host on the property since the beginning and has been hosting guests himself, while the parent / admin account was collecting reviews on his behalf, if anything it would be disingenuous NOT to attribute all the ratings for that property to the new host (the previous co-host).

Starting from scratch would be like shooting yourself in the foot just because Airbnb doesn't support something trivial like this right out of the box.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sue6 this would be highly unethical. Guests book in the most part based on reviews and ratings, price and location.

Your reviews are down to the quality of your hosting. Whose to say the new owners will be as good?

Call BNB and see if they would be willing to transfer over existing booking to the new account the buyer will set up (assuming you have spoken to your guests and they are happy with this). If not work with BNB to help find them an alternativve.

I have scoured the site and find no way to "call" AirBnB... I would have to assume that a buyer would be aware of the review process and how important it is to continuing to get bookings on this site and I think, in good faith, I would give them the benefit of doubt. Thank you so much for taking time to assist with my decision!

ChrisCu how it'd work out for you. I too am looking to purchase a building that has Airbnb units

The-Turner-Family0
Level 4
Hawaii, United States

What Helen suggested will get you high hopes with no follow up. Airbnb does not engage in helping hosts figure out how to plan their actions in situations like this... I would be very very surprized if Airbnb got involved in transferring guests from one profile to another. I got NOWHERE when trying that course of action. ZERO...

I have been in the process of doing this very thing and what Robert suggested is a good course of action. The co-hosting thing is working out very well... I would suggest to do this for the remaining amount of guests already booked.

Then to continue for new guest bookings is for the new owners to start their own new listing and within the first few lines of description mention that it's been prevously rented under original owner and give the web address of the old listing's profile so they can ascertain for themselves. Make sure the old listing is still in 'active' mode for awhile after your so the new people can see it. Then when the new owners get their own reviews going you can inactivate your old listing and you're done and you've helped the new owners nicely. Take a moment to conceptually wrap your head around how that would work out. It's worked for me quite well. And I'm not breaking any rules, ethical or absolute. By the way reviews are not only about a host performance they also reflect the quality of the home, neighborhood, value and location. It's certainly better to know something than nothing...

It's very hard to get ahold of Aribnb and when you do it's all about solving problems of ordinary nature, not brainstorming about how to help you solve your unique situation ouside the box. Sue I wish you good luck - 

Good to hear from you @The-Turner-Family0 as you have first hand experience of this issue. Disappointing to hear that BNB haven't helped you with this.

A really good suggestion; thank you 🙂 !!!

Excellent answer!