Translation

Translation

few days ago, i received an email from airbnb saying that my page has been translate to French for free by a professional translator

so now my page is also appearing in French

that is a good initative from Airbnb - i hope in that they can offer this feature to other langugages at a small fee

9 Replies 9

@Christabel-and-Rita0

I am an interpreter/translator, so a few things come to mind that worry me. 

(1) If someone were to translate for me, how can I make sure the translation accurately describes my listing description if I don't know the language it was translated into - who will make sure the translations are consistent with the original descriptions? And what about any updates I make to the description? Who will be responsible for any cancellations or dissatisfied guests due to discrepancies in the description between the original and translation?

(2) How will the guest and host communicate? I actually prefer to host foreigners but I would still need to communicate with them, so they would need to be able to speak a little bit of either Korean or English to stay with me. If I had to host a guest who spoke ONLY French or German or Spanish or Japanese (no English or Korean) then I don't think I'd be able to host that guest, the only reason being because we wouldn't be able to communicate with each other.

i agree with you, in fact the title of my apartment is Seaside Apartment and in French was translated as Seafront Apartment which are 2 different things - i could notice this mistake as i know a bit of french 

so i believe that AirBnb should make guests aware that only the English version of the page is the reliable one and that this is a mere translation

had i not noticed this mistake i would get guests expecting a sea front view when they only get a side view of the sea

i also agree with you that guests then might believe that i speak french - so this should also be highlighted by AirBnB

i was looking at this translation like someone with very basic english who would prefer to read the page in french but then would contact me in english

Clary2
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Hello I'm a newbie to AirBnB,

I listed my condo yesterday and am wondering how I am going to market to Mexican Nationals who only speak Spanish and my USA and Canadian market who only speak/read English?

I believe there is an option to translate the page from English to Spanish, but I'm under the impression it does NOT translate the verbiage I inserted in description, rules etc only translates the text of the website titles etc....

I'm really confused about this, can someone explain?

I was going to use Google Translate to copy and paste and replace all my English verbiage into Spanish but just got my first inquiry within 24 hours of listing from someone in English so now I'm afraid if I translate to Spanish they may not see in English....

HELP!  hahaha

Sincerely,

clary  

**[Number hidden]

Lynn136
Level 1
Patumahoe, New Zealand

How do i translate a review sent to me, but its in chinese, I only speak English, there used to be a translation button but cant see it

Liz445
Level 1
Weston, United Kingdom

@Lynn136 wrote:

How do i translate a review sent to me, but its in chinese, I only speak English, there used to be a translation button but cant see it

Clary2
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Google Translate?  It's free.  I also have recently used Fiverr dot com for translating documents from Spanish to English.  They offer all kinds of translators.

Pascale100
Level 2
Toulon, France

bonjour

Me and 2 guests have encountered a weird situation:

the presentation of the flat made by me differs from the automatic translation made by airbnb, as confirmed by airbnb consummer service.

with this support center we read throught the inaccurate (missing description on the configuration of the flat, or the use of the garden).

this service confirmed the responsability of the service supposed to check on "automatic translation".

first guest: the line missing was describing the WC in the hall.... the guest left

second guest: the line missing indicated that a car of another resident could be parked in the "private garden" of the guest. the guest choose the premices for this private garden....

I can't wait to have bad reviews thanks to this mishandling from airbnb....

note: I would never have guessed that the guest read a different text from the one called "preview" this is what your guest will read....

it is my duty to keep my guest informed, but cannot go beyond miss information from airbnb...

hope to have some resolution from airbnb to 

1/ reimburse the guest who left

2/ compensate the guest who is unhappy

thank you for your attention 

Pascale

Robert5265
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

This is fantastic for the staying places translation. However I’m looking for accessible on the online experience as I’m profoundly deaf and flutely on British sign language. Have tried few interpreter agencies and found they charge so expensive for one person attending the event, so I thought maybe if Airbnb can hire “in house” interpreter and to see if it will improve accessible and get to deaf people to enjoy the events. 

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so much glad to know more about it.