Transparency in Representing Size of Properties

Richard1826
Level 3
Nashville, TN

Transparency in Representing Size of Properties

AirBnb should require hosts to publish the true size of their properties, in terms of both square meters and square feet.  It is a given that all hosts use wide-angle lenses to make the spaces seem larger than they are, forcing us to discount the photos when evaluating listings.  However, some hosts use these photos to intentionally mislead prospective visitors, even putting words like "vast" and "spacious"  in their descriptions, when the spaces are anything but.   We just returned from a European trip where we stayed in 13 AirBnbs, and four of these were listed with photos that made the apartments look palatial, whereas in reality there wasn't even enough space to open our suitcases.   

I think that AirBnb should mandate all hosts to include the precise size of their lodgings, which is the only way one can evaluate the accompanying photos in context.  To not do so is to aid and abet unscrupulous hosts in  misrepresenting their properties - which may be good for their pocketbooks (and for AirBnb's bottom line), but is not a good practice for long-term client retention.  

51 Replies 51
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0  "Nowt so queer........"

Ron-and-Shelly0
Level 2
Goodyear, AZ

I use spacious in our listing title but don't use a wide-angle lens in fear of any misunderstanding. I added a floorplan I made using Sketchup so the size and dimensions are very clear. Any host trying to make their place look bigger is just opening themselves up for bad reviews. 

Linda810
Level 2
Campbellcroft, CA

I hear from guests regularly the pictures don't do my space justice. Having read many times professional pictures are important, I have just arranged for a real estate photographer to upgrade my pictures. Yes I believe its important to  show my space as it is, no "trickery". This conversation does have me wondering.

A wide-angle shot can have the optical effect of making a room look more spacious. But so can having high ceilings, light colors, and abundant sunlight, none of which are generally considered "trickery."

One thing the wide-angle lens is really useful for is getting a whole room into a shot, so the viewer can see how the space is actually laid out. I see so many listings that have a picture of each corner of a room, because there wasn't a vantage point that could capture the whole thing, and it really does the listing no favors. People like being able to get a comprehensive view of the place in the first 5 pictures, much more than random close-ups of the toilet.

Mario136
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Real estate selling and renting prices are per square meter or square feet.
This is just trivially the standard method for ALL evaluation, be they court ordered, or for private purposes.

Airbnb smart pricing is simply WRONG if they don't know the area of the room.

I just noticed, I have 2 rooms, one very huge room, with huge own bath room, jacuzzi, and one with a smaller room, a SHARED tiny shower. And the price difference is quite small. 

It is IMPOSSIBLE to evaluate a rental if you don't know the area of the real estate. It cannot be done. Do you need to ask a realtor to believe it?  I am quite shocked that a mega corporation like airbnb uses unscientific valuations for rentals. 
How can I fix this? Airbnb does not allow to double guess their smart prices, to add fixed or percentage values. Giving own price is very cumbersome ....

Frank2012
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I Agree, Truth in Advertising, We list the SQ ft / m2 in our 2 bedroom condo in Cabarete.   I will not book until I know the size of the unit being offered.

Currently on the Canary islands.

Cheers 

Richard, this is a good post!  We’re new hosts and two things we learned quickly - guests want a lot of pictures that accurately describe the home and they want reviews.   We are hyper-sensitive to both.  Until Airbnb enforces descriptions to include square footage your only option is to ask ahead of time.