Travel Trends: do you agree?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Travel Trends: do you agree?

Holiday trends.png

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this article regarding Airbnb travel trends for 2018. If you are looking for something to read over with you morning coffee or when you have a spare moment, I recommed taking a look, it is an interesting read. 🙂

Airbnb have put together their predicted trending places for 2018 based on booking data for the first half of 2018!

Some of the things highlighted predict that, the most popular city destinations will include Osaka, Tokyo, Paris, New York and London. Food and Drink will remain the most popular type of Airbnb experience, which was actually the first type of experience I tried here in London. Lastly, outside of the typical home, guests will go for something a little more rustic and stay in a Natural Lodge or a Yurt.

I wonder what your thoughts are on this. Do you agree with these travel predictions, what would yours be? Perhaps you are planning to go to some of these destinations this year?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

11 Replies 11
Joshua150
Level 1
Abilene, TX

Personally, I’d like to camp out in Big Bend or see the Milky Way from the depths of the Utah/New Mexico desert. Not so drawn to the big cities or touristy places like those above.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I think we are quite similar on this @Joshua150. I think because I live in a city, when I go away I like to go somewhere a bit more rural. I love to be by the water and water activities in general are just perfect for me, that or hiking. 

Last year I tried surfing for the first time and now I am a bit hooked, my next trip will involve a lot of surfing and rafting I think. 

I bet seeing the Milky Way from the desert is amazing, with zero light polution. Are you planning to go back again? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

This is certainly accurate but only through the prism of AirBnb 'type guests' I have broader data (I'm a tourism consultant) and it differs from this considerably it also is quite different to the data coming out from the evil companies like booking and Agoda.

The other major factor that will impact all destinations in the next few years will be ‘security’ as people move towards destinations with good safety records.

In terms of experiences this would also be skewed a lot as I’m guessing Airbnb approved mostly ‘food type’ offerings as ‘easy’ openers for the concept. On a side note we did quite a few experiences on our recent trip to Europe and they were wonderful!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your knowledge around this @David-and-Fiona0 and you make some great points. 

Where do you think the more popular places to visit will be? Any secret gems you think we should visit, that you can let us into? 🙂

--------------------

@Lizzie The Philippines is showing excellent growth so too is Myanmar. And hopefully Portugal : ) as Fiona and I are setting up an Airbnb over there so we can alternate every 6 months between Philippines and Portugal. Best of both worlds. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I can see why the Philippines is growing in popularity it is beautiful @David-and-Fiona0. Do you think there is a particular reason for this?

Portugal sounds like an exciting new challenge. Is this somewhere that you fell in love with when travelling there or have identified it as a good place to set up a new listing?

--------------------

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Just my opinion, @Lizzie . From my point of view, trends also depends on the profile of the travellers. There are trends for different segments of travellers. Machu Picchu can not attract the ones who are Vegas maniac! Zurich and London can not attract the ones that are in search for cheap and exotic destinations.

Some travellers go for beaches and natures, others for adventures. Other ones go for famous cities they do not know yet.. and other ones go for cheap destinations.

I believe few travellers go for something a little more or very rustic. It is kind of "niche" of travelers. 

Personally, I think that some exotic houses, in the midle of a forest, or some types os treehouse are very pictorest! But I would think twice,  or maybe 20 times before booking one! I can imagine the different types of insects that are around and I do not know if I would have the same imunity that the locals have. Some of them, at least to me, are places to visit only during the day. To stay in the night (sleep) in a treehouse without windows... I believe it is more adequate to the ones that are used to serious adventure or to the ones that still do not  know that nature is not a so romantic thing, but they will have a chance to know  :). 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

OMG... instead of saying pictorest, I should have said picturesque! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lizzie I’ve heard that renovated barns will be big this year. 

Rustic without the treehouse concerns that @J-Renato0 mentioned. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe, that's handy for you @Kelly149 🙂 You barn is a great space. 

--------------------

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Interesting read. In my island I notice people accept the somewhat 'rustic' tone because it is so private. They still 'require' all the basic amenities (nice kitchen, good shower with hot/cold water. no biting bugs, super clean, etc), meaning they do not have to fight with nature, just be in close parallel with it. The place also is 'easy' to be in. My clientele are not at all 'Granolas' and 'Tree Huggers' as I thought would be coming, but really middle-incomed suburbanites. Go figure.