Travel agencies instead of real hosts.

Mia0
Level 3
Medveja, Croatia

Travel agencies instead of real hosts.

Hello dear Airbnb Community,
I noticed that a lot of travel agencies signed up and try to act as a host. Of course, their job usually is promoting and selling listings, but I think they can't replace an Airbnb host. There's a big difference between being a real person and renting one or more your OWN properties and being an agency with a few properties. I always thought Airbnb hosts are special because they're more then just hosts...they share their home with guests, but also stories, extremely useful insider tips, they are always there for guests. All in all, the relationship between Airbnb hosts and guests is a very unique experience that no agencies will ever provide or replace.
I didn't find any posts about this and I'd like to know if someone has any ideas how to deal with this situation?
What do you think about it?
Is there a way of stopping/reporting "hosts" like this?
Please share your thoughts with me.
Best regards and happy hosting,
Mia
17 Replies 17
Gillian174
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Holiday  letting agencies have been taking advantage, as well as travel agents. We have a cottage with agents  (fairly new to us) who have recently listed our property on Airbnb without our knowledge, let alone permission. We only found out by chance when we had to contact the guests after their stay. It turned out the price they had paid for their stay was considerably higher than the booking price we were given by the agents. We were not told it had been let through Airbnb, we had assumed it was booked through the agent's web site, as was indicated on our monthly statement from them.

The holiday letting agents have been listing their properties on Airbnb for some time, although we were not aware of this when we recently joined them.

When I asked our agents to account for the difference in price they said it was due to the high fees that Airbnb charged them, but they could not say how much they received from Airbnb for the booking as the fees vary and they receive all their booking revenue from all the holiday properties they list on Airbnb in a block amount, not itemised per rental.

The result is that guests pay significantly higher prices through Airbnb than they would through the holiday letting agents' own web sites. Owners receive none of this extra revenue - it is unclear exactly how this is divided between Airbnb and the agents. 

The agents present themselves as the "hosts", when they are simply marketing the property. We undertake full management of our property, and also liaise with our guests. We are on hand to deal with any queries from the guests relating to their stay - rendering the "service fee" that guests have to pay to Airbnb null and void.

To add insult to injury, we effectively paid two lots of marketing fees so that a significant profit was removed from our income. Needless to say we have asked that our property is not listed by the agent on Airbnb.

Tetiana12
Level 2
Stryi, Ukraine

Personally, I like to pick my own flights and hotels..after all, no one knows what I want better than me.  I woulld never use a travel agency for a straighforward type of itinerary/flight. Direct with airlines works well. As for hotels, you can use 3rd party hotel booking websiteshttps://travelsites.com/booking-sites/ , hotel's own websites or a travel agent

Yea. Some of the travel agencies are not trustworthy- they are expensive and irresponsible.

I have had experiences with many travel agencies as I am an avid traveller.

Funday Holidays ( https://www.fundayholidays.com/ ) is my favorite one, compared to others in the area.