Travel blogger wants to stay at my place for free. Would you do it?

Pollyanna0
Level 1
Haleiwa, HI

Travel blogger wants to stay at my place for free. Would you do it?

I got a message from someone who claims to be a successfull travel blogger. I looked her up and she seems legit.

She is claiming that if i give her free accomodations for 5 nights, she will write about our spot and give us "explosive online exposure".

In our situation there are a few pros and cons about so much exposure. And of course I told her I need to think about it, but if we do agree I would need to do a skype interview.

Has anyone else gotten requests like this?

What would you do if someone offered this type of exchange?

8 Replies 8
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Pollyanna0,

I would not do it.  I seem to also remember someone doing this and it turned out to be a nightmare.  I don't remember where and wish I could point you in the right direction but right now it escapes me.

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's not an uncommon practice - hotels give free stays to journos, bloggers etc...however, 5 days seems a heck of a lot

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 I thought that as well.. One or two nights I'd be more open to it.

@Dave-and-Deb0 thanks !

Andrew35
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

@Pollyanna0 Personally I wouldn't either.  How can a blogger guarantee to give a great review when they haven't stayed or seen your place?  Or does 'explosive online exposure' mean it could be bad too.

@Andrew35  Good point...

Geoff1
Level 5
Robe, Australia

I would not do it. Airbnb itself gives the exposure and direct to the customer who is looking for accomodation. 

What is the hesitation guys? Why not? 

@Alicia457  Because it's a scam to get a free stay. "Travel bloggers" aren't some special class that deserves a free stay.