Travel insights from Australia Host Tour event

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Travel insights from Australia Host Tour event

Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 13.05.06.png

Hi everyone, 

Did you see the announcement on the 100+ upgrades across Airbnb?

In May, Airbnb leaders and Host Community Leaders held an event for local AU Host Clubs to discuss what these changes mean for Hosts. It was great to see @Cathie19 participating in the chat.

A highlight of the event for me were the insights on how the travel landscape is developing both globally and locally and I wanted to share some of these with you here. This is based on analysing booking data and surveying 10,000 consumers across 5 countries. Here’s what we learnt about Australia:

Aussies are staying together and for longer

• We have seen a 123% increase in stays around National Parks across Australia and the percentage of rural nights on Airbnb has roughly doubled from mid 2019 to mid 2021. 
  • 42% of Australian bookings are in rural locations (up 18% from 2019)
  • With 11% of our nights booked between 1st of  January and 31st April 2021 here in Australia being long term stays. 
  • From surveying Australians, we found that 41% of Aussies see traveling more as a lifestyle where they can spend more time in different places throughout the year

It’s so interesting that almost 50% of Australians say that who they ’re with and what they do together is the most important factor when planning travel this year. We are treasuring our family connections now more than ever. 

Other Highlights

Host Clubs

• Many clubs have been still connecting with each other even during COVID. Groups like the Hunter Valley Host Clubhave got together to chat about all things hosting and check in with each other.
  • Recently the team from the Sunshine Coast Host club organized a meetup with local city councilors in reaction to new laws proposed in Noosa Shire. They had an incredible turnout with hundreds of local Hosts banding together to make positive change. 
  • Other leaders and Airbnb Ambassadors have been featured in newspapers & on TV around the country to discuss their experience hosting.

Host Demos. The Australia Country Manager did a deeper dive into 3 new features: Inbox, Arrival Guides, and the Today Tab. Many Hosts were excited to see the improvements to Inbox, such as scheduled messages. For more information on the announcements made by CEO, Brian Chesky on May 24th, check out this article

It’s been so wonderful hearing from some of our Australian Community Center members lovely hosting stories and how they have been welcoming guests from New Zealand recently, too.

And don’t forget, if you would like to connect with your local Host Club, find your Club here

Are you looking forward to a family holiday soon?

Thanks, 

Nick

7 Replies 7
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick 

Nick, in view of what has happened around the world this past year I am not sure this is a great theme to promote.

Most hosts have definitely done it tough over the past year, and our good fortune in OZ should not be something to gloat over.....it is sort of like rubbing salt into the wound. Our dear fellow hosts in Canada have been hit particularly hard as have been hosts in Italy, France and to a lesser extent England. 

I have to ashamable say this event slipped right past me!

Mind you I did have some pressing family engagements to attend to at the time. But I feel now is the time to offer support to our fellow hosts in any way we can who are going through a once in a century event. Good times will come but, most of the world do not want to hear that they have already arrived somewhere other than where they are.

I just so sincerely hope that the roll-out of a Coronavirus vaccine will get the world back on an even keel again and we can all reap the rewards.

I can't wait to travel again and hopefully support some of you guys who are struggling just now!

Cheers.......Rob

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4 and thank you for your feedback on this. Of course, most Hosts had a challenging year, as did everyone else, but the purpose is certainly not to gloat. This was part of a report Airbnb produced to identify what seems to be different in travel as pandemic restriction gradually lift around the world. 

All the data derive from surveying Airbnb Hosts and guests in Australia, France, Mexico, UK and the US. 

We have already posted the US and UK travel trends, and Canada is about to follow. 

You can see the report in full by clicking here.

Many thanks! 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Nick. Thanks for the tag! It was nice to be part of this host Zoom session. I’m always happy to find out what’s going on and  add my two cents worth.  
The information about current trends, that was communicated during the session was interesting, but not unexpected from my stand point. 

Though I must admit, I really quite assertively promote this site, over host groups any day of the week. I’d be happy to ensure all branch information including host clubs, Facebook sites are linked and have links from here, for having too many sources for the core information must be highly confusing to new hosts and guests. In fact it’s exhausting. 

For even here, all the current trends don’t really matter at the moment, as Victoria a major state, has been in varying levels of heavy lockdowns. Greater Melbourne travellers are required to quarantine under supervision at $2,500AuD each, if arriving from this area into the NT. All other states have hard border restrictions as well. With some areas in Victoria experiencing disaster floods and ongoing loss of power last week, it’s all a bit grim. 

I’ve lost three bookings this week, with another querying for next week…. So things are quite somber, even though it’s meant to be my high season.  My nearest host club, I assume, would be in Townsville - only 2,500 kilometres away! Also, Darwin is so competitive with its limited tourist season, it might be a bit tricky to get one up and running.   Pretty well everyone’s extremely busy just getting on with it, including correspondence with clueless newbies, guests needing reassurance for cancellations and those that are able to arrive etc etc. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19 

Cathie, the thing that worries me is the effect these lock-downs have on major population centres.

Melbourne is a city of 5 million + people who over the past year have suffered 4 lock-downs and inner city workers have been instructed to work from home rather than attend their inner city high-rise base. Occupancy rates in inner city Melbourne dropped to 20% last year and only recovered to 30% by March this year. Small business....those cafe owners, restaurants, shops and other inner city small businesses cannot survive on  30% of their regular custom. All small business owners who have been able to break their lease, have....and it is my fear that Melbourne will become a ghost town! Nobody is going to visit if there is nothing there open to visit! 

Lock-downs stop the transmission of Covid-19 but I hope it doesn't lead to the death of our cities! 

Cheers.......Rob

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4, I think the positive side of the covid restrictions in the cities are forcing people out to regional areas, which has seen a growth in these areas. The negative side is that it has forced house and rents higher, more stress on our health services and more unemployment. Ultimately it has eased the housing situation for the cities.

@Nick I was sorry to miss Australian link communityhost workshop as I was too late

to link up, hovever I was able to join the Australian community link the week before. I was able to get to see our local community moderator Catheryn Dorahy talking.

The information passed on was interesting and educational.

I enjoy reading these community communication subjects as the different topics do help with questions, suggestions and new ideas to try. The sad bit is somee people are so negative I dont know why they do Airbnb or use the site. I  understand that is a platform for bookings and they should be thankful.

Yes, in NSW most hosts have lost bookings with shutdowns of boarders, but we should be thankful that we live in Australia and not Europe and the USA.

Our local facebook page Illawarra and South Coast Airbnb page has provided me with useful information. Specially the hosts who have participated with the registration of our Airbnb for the NSW Government with, accessing fire equipment and fire plans. I think we have tried to work as a team.

@Cathie19 I would to thank you and @Robin4 for meeting you both on my first community link up 4 months ago. Your answers have helped me as a newbie listening to the conversations and questions asked by others. Both your answers relating to  Australian conditions and lifestyle.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Robin4 , even with Sydney’s Covid19 concern today, less people will want to travel into it, for fear they may get caught in an area that gets identified as a hot spot from another state. 

My son and his family who tried to get here for Xmas, will be trying again in a July. This time they are a full cohort and will travel directly from Canberra to the airport, so they don’t get caught up in any state or Territory  Govt decision making, mid air.

Covid19 in Oz, definitely has it in for public holidays and school breaks….

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I agree with what you are saying here @Cathie19  about the fear to travel. From personal experience, I'm not travelling anywhere this year, at least not outside the UK, frankly, because I can't be bothered to go through all the hassle.

Testing and more testing and quarantine and the uncertainty of what might happen while you are on holidays, borders closing, countries making it on and off green lists etc.

It's supposed to be fun. I miss travelling like crazy, but I can't bring myself to it if it creates more stress instead of minimising it.