Travelling responsibly

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Travelling responsibly

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 16.31.02.png

Hi everyone, 

Travelling more sustainably is rapidly becoming a priority for more and more people around the globe. With that in mind, I'd love to read your advice on how we can all try to travel more respectfully, not only for the environment but also for local neighbourhoods and businesses. Here are some examples that I have gathered through various discussions:

• Travel in low-season 
  • Explore places that are not the "usual suspects" when it comes to tourism
  • Walk around neighbourhoods and discover local “gems” instead of following guides recommendations

What actions, big or small, come to mind when you think about sustainable tourism? 

Thanks,

Nick

9 Replies 9
Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I've never had to consider the issue of sustainable travel as I'm not wealthy, and I think that's where the criticism is directed by the use of that term in contemporary social discourse. In fact, I think it's necessary to get out of the trap of covert shame motivation with terms like sustainable, which just causes cognitive dissonance (OMG have I been doing something bad??), and instead say directly what is non sustainable travel. 

I'll play along since the term has already been introduced here, and treat it as what I've said I think sustainable means.

Along with the bulleted recommendations in the OP, the first and third of which are already norms for me, I would say:

Travel like you have a very limited budget, and set a very limited budget even if you have greater means. It's always best to have a financial safety cushion anyway, because something unexpected and unpleasant almost always happens in travel. It's easier to manage such surprises one has a cushion on reserve. 

Don't take planes from place to place if there are multiple locations on the itinerary, take buses. Locally, don't take taxis and Ubers, take public transportation. 

If it's a long trip and this is a new way of traveling for you, give yourself a break if you need it and spend a night here and there in a luxury hotel and spa, and then get back out there.

If you're really daring, limit yourself to the biggest backpack you can carry yourself, and if you still need a few more things, carry a smaller one in front. You will quickly learn organizational and time management skills you never knew you possessed, and since you won't have the space for buying a bunch of things, you'll engage more with the experience of where you are and what you're doing. You'll have memories instead of stuff, and spend more time doing something you'll remember than shopping. 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

Forgive me, I should have said to stay in a luxury Airbnb listing! 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

😂😂😂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Some great advice here @Heidi588 as per usual the last few days 😉

I do believe that my backpack years are behind me but a useful tip non the less for packing light.

Traveling like you have a limited budget is still to this day something I fail miserable at, ending up spending every last dime I (virtually) cary on me. 

But as you say I am one to use public transport all the time when traveling (ideally not the tube so I can look at the place). 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I think one of the keys to responsible travel is avoiding "tick the item off your list" travel- if it's all about the selfie in the iconic place  figure out a method of photo-shopping yourself into pix of Buckingham palace, the Golden gate bridge or the Eiffel tower.

Personally, not that I've had much opportunity for travel (this was going to be the year, NOT) doing some research about the area's history, the climate, the cuisine, the travel option is fun and helps me be a better traveler.

My middle kid traveled all around the back country of central America , riding the chicken buses and having a great time. Her starting point was a place in Costa Rica's cloud forest & the family of a friend in Nicaragua.  She went up into the mountains where Spanish was folk's second language, picked up a working if very simple amount of Quechua, and came home a wiser person. (lots & lots of fun as well)

Compare that with trying to "Do" California in a long week end, might as well buy tourist trinkets on line & fake up those pictures. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

very well said @Sally221 

How annoying that this was supposed to be a year of travelling for you 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Nick @Heidi588 @Sally221 

In the places one visits, Buy a book written by locals of your choice ( it cuts down electricity use sourcing photos etc on electronic devices & is a lifetime memory one can access any time) -  that perhaps includes Tourist attractions, locally made souvenirs or a garment made by locals to support local people.

@Heidi588Always take a walk around local areas as one sees things one misses taking "public transport".

It's a golden opportunity to meet locals to learn from.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

I've done my fair share of backpacking but, like you, those days are long behind me. Perhaps one day I will don my backpack again and give it another go, but most of my travel in recent years (until this March anyway) has been for work and the accommodation, transportation and schedules are not determined by me. I would always opt for the train rather than plane to Paris if given the chance, but sadly the train is not given as an option for most destinations and I always stay in hotels of the client's choice.

So, within those boundaries, I try to do a few things. The first is not to abandon environmental awareness just because you're in a hotel. I really don't understand why people think they need a fresh set of towels every day or to leave lights on all the time simply because they can do this at no extra financial cost. Would they do this at home? Luckily, most hotels now encourage you to reuse your towels and have card systems that automatically turn off electricity when the room is not in use. I also avoid using the air con if possible.

If I do have a small amount of free time on this trips, I usually visit places on foot if I can. I like just pottering around a neighbourhood with no fixed plans and seeing what I discover. If I shop when I'm abroad, I have no interest in visiting chain stores or malls. I mostly visit flea markets. I've also often found great gifts in local grocery stores and pharmacies - things that might be quite commonplace in that country, but a bit of a treat back home.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I really appreciate those little things that you mention @Huma0 because yes, certain times that either we don't plan the trip ourselves or we are part of a group of friends and we have to make some sacrifices. So those little things do help I believe when add up. 

As @Helen427 suggested walking around is a must, for me is a given any single day as it is something I truly enjoy and helps me think, regardless of being on holidays or not. But it goes without saying that when it is combined with exploring something new it's even better. 

I also like visiting local markets with produce and observe how locals behave, what their buying preferences are, learning how to make this or that, and how you can save and create something with what is left rather than wasting it.